Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Default Elk hunting

Hey guys. I’ve never been elk hunting before. Wondering if someone who’s experienced in hunting elk would partner up with me and help me bag an elk. I’ll cover whole cost of trip/trips and you’ll get a quarter of elk to keep. I wanna learn the spots and tips of elk hunting. I hear they can be tuff to hunt. I’ve shot lots of moose and deer. But elk is my favourite wild meat. Would love to put one in my freezer.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Well you missed the rut I would suggest finding some private land where you hunt deer and Hunt some Fields where there's elk coming out lot of guys hunt for a lot of years and don't kill elk good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Well you missed the rut I would suggest finding some private land where you hunt deer and Hunt some Fields where there's elk coming out lot of guys hunt for a lot of years and don't kill elk good luck

I'm elkless in 3 years. Many miles of hiking, quadding, driving, sitting and crying.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM

I shot a elk calf this year. This is my 6th year hunting elk. Still have the general elk tag so here is to hoping i get a shot on a bull or cow still.

Good luck finding your mentor. It can help immensely.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I shot a elk calf this year. This is my 6th year hunting elk. Still have the general elk tag so here is to hoping i get a shot on a bull or cow still.

I may out to lunch but I thought it was 1 elk only. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
I may out to lunch but I thought it was 1 elk only. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed.
Did not check the regs but I'm pretty sure you're only allowed one a year

Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

I think he's talking about the elk tag being general still not on draw. Not saying he still has a tag
Old 10-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:

It sounds to me like he's still planning on hunting

Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Oh dang I had no idea elk rut so early. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Still wondering

Quote:

Just trying to clarify things for myself here...

It has been told to me by the tag issuer....once you purchase a general bull tag you are limited to one bull elk only. Are there more options to this? Ie a calf (antlerless) elk in the same season or as a substitute for a bull elk? I'm reading the regs and can see no provisions for this. Am I wrong?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Did not check the regs but I'm pretty sure you're only allowed one a year

Believe he used a 212 antlerless elk archery tag ... which you can hold and use, in addition to a general elk tag
Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification

Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meateatr View Post
Hey guys. I’ve never been elk hunting before. Wondering if someone who’s experienced in hunting elk would partner up with me and help me bag an elk. I’ll cover whole cost of trip/trips and you’ll get a quarter of elk to keep. I wanna learn the spots and tips of elk hunting. I hear they can be tuff to hunt. I’ve shot lots of moose and deer. But elk is my favourite wild meat. Would love to put one in my freezer.
a guy helps you achieve your goal and only gets 1/4 of the meat? you man are barking up the wrong tree.... half the elk would be a start. you also cannot pay for everything as it stumbles into a grey area in this province. if I ever had the nuts to post something like this I would no longer have any friends....need to get your stuff together man!!!

it would be the same as asking, "anyone know of any super hot smoking booty calls that I can bum off ya for a while?" I'll give ya her back when I'm done." come on man!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:28 PM

haha yah, sorry for all the confusion there boys. Supplemental 212 Antlerless elk.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:42 PM

I would first say first thing you should do is study up on the species you're trying to harvest learn when the rut is when the peak periods to hunt them how to hunt them call them watch some videos read the regulations

Old 10-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Well, you can track just about anything with some good snow and enough determination.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:

It took me yrs to get on first elk, put your time in you will get rewarded, can be tough hunting this time of yr out of the rut. Grant you if you do manage to find them they should be herded up by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 PM

These threads are my favourite lol
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Is this thread even real? That's what I'm asking myself right now...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 PM

To the op please take this as some honest old guy that has hunted for more yrs than I care to count. Finding a spot anywhere where one can get a chance at al elk is difficult, takes many years to discover and then when you do the whole world seems to find out and you start over. It takes years unless you are lucky enough to be invited along with someone who has already done the ground work or you have exclusive access to private land. 99% of elk hunters that do have a spot would be hard pressed to bring someone in new simply because next year you and your friends might take it over. I am not suggesting that you give up for one second but if I were you I would get my truck in gear, my boots on the ground and start looking. Research, ask, go talk to the Fish Cops. It takes work & no one is going to give up what they spent half their life trying to find. And finally best of luck to you.
From an old guy.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Why not just ask for a box of elk meat. May get a lot more offers. Heck I can throw you a few roasts if I decide to harvest this year.
Give up a honey hole for a quarter of meat? Dang boy, whatchu talkin bout Willis????????
Old 10-20-2017, 09:13 PM

Good luck to ya!!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Why not just ask for a box of elk meat. May get a lot more offers. Heck I can throw you a few roasts if I decide to harvest this year.
Give up a honey hole for a quarter of meat? Dang boy, whatchu talkin bout Willis????????
Have to admit, this makes the best sense..
Although I'm stingy, very stingy.

Elk are where you find em. Just that. Go find em.
They don't roost in trees, or burrow underground..

Tons of info on here if you search the forum, tons.
Good luck on your quest.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 PM

OP
If you like elk meat so much you can always buy it in the elk ranch . It would be a bit more expensive then beef ,but still you got your meat .
And as a bonus you can save time typing, s..ly threads , offering experience elk hunters a quarter of what they are getting every year as a whole animal
anyways , because they learned how to do it..
Might be a bit straight forward .. but I hope you got what I mean
Old 10-21-2017, 05:22 AM

I offered to help a stranger last year get his anterless elk. I was his first. A month later he called me to offer some meat. So I accepted. We met up and he gave me a small shopping g bag of miscellaneous meat some elk and some deer? I took it but I will tell you this.... it will be the last time I take a stranger out hunting! I would have been satisfied with half the elk and nothing lesss.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:14 AM

Talking

I will gladly give the person a half of the meat. I’m here for pointers and suggestions. Seems decent human beings are hard to come by now a days. If half the animal is what’s fair I have to problem doing that lol. If they want 3 quarters take it. I just want the experience to learn elk hunting so In the future I don’t have to ask people that’s just out to poke a bit of fun. But I must say it’s funny as hell reading it lol
Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I will gladly give the person a half of the meat. I’m here for pointers and suggestions. Seems decent human beings are hard to come by now a days. If half the animal is what’s fair I have to problem doing that lol. If they want 3 quarters take it. I just want the experience to learn elk hunting so In the future I don’t have to ask people that’s just out to poke a bit of fun. But I must say it’s funny as hell reading it lol
The lack of decent human beings seems to relate to your unwillingness to understand that elk hunting is a uniquely difficult thing to learn and do consistently.No one is going to just hand over ten years of learning for the pure joy of the company of someone they have never even met. They can shoot the elk themselves and keep 100% and there is no danger you will be hunting their spot next year. I have made the mistake of taking new hunters to spots I learned over many years, only to find them and a hoard of their friends hunting the same area the following year. I don't take many newbies hunting anymore, unless they are blood relations.

If you are looking for a guided elk hunt, there are lots available in B.C. Montana, Colorado etc, but it is going to cost a LOT more than half the meat.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Yea I should have paid more attention. I guess it is called “ Alberta” outdoorsmen. Haven’t met a decent Albertan yet lol. Where I’m from it ain’t about “this is my spot” or “ I’m not showing you what I know”. It’s about the pleasure of helping people out. Last year I met a guy at bass pro getting hunting gear. I asked him what he’s going for. He said he has a draw for fox creek for Moose but never been moose hunting nor to fox creek. I offered to take a week off work and tag along cuz I have hunted moose in fox creek for many years and I love hunting, even if its with someone getting their own animal. I love joining the hunt and learning new things every time I go. I showed him all the spots where I had the best luck with Moose and it cost me a week from work and the bill for my own food. I didn’t even ask for any meat. He offered a quarter, all I accepted was an invite for a cook up of moose one evening and a couple cold beer.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Op.... you really really don't understand.

You want quick and easy something. That's tge impression your posts are giving.

And what your asking for is hard.... really hard. Hard mostly to find them, hard to get access, hard to learn to hunt.

It's a culture thing. You seem to see this this as simple shopping, or picking up a quaint hobby like model airplane building.

Your request here is being interpreted as too casual and flippant, which can happen on a text forum.

I don't share my 'honey holes' for elk with just anyone inexchsnge for meat, or anything else. I think a lot of guys here ( myself included) have had places become burned out- used up cause we showed somebody a spot... and they tell two friends.. and so on and so on.

Alberta has 400 000 hunters. That's a serious amount of hunting pressure.

You ever pack a moose or deer out using human power only? From your texts... I doubt it. Most elk are not going to be by the road ( I live in the mountains).

So.. poor first impression.. and your subsequent posts ain't helpin.

Just sayin.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 10-21-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Elk are seldom found where instant gratification can be had. Quick bit of newbie etiquette. If you are on a hunt with others, the meat from the spoils is split evenly amongst the crew. At least that's how our crew roles. We share in the cutting wrapping and everyone gets their fair share.

LC