Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Default WMU 412 should be 420

Went to 412 yesterday and is been my first time back there in 5 years. The roads arealot better and there has been a lot more forestry work completed so many spots to stop and go for a nice walk. The first thing I noticed was that people had been shooting trees down which seems idiotic really and un-necessary. Lots of garbage and the constant sound of gunfire; I mean it was obvious that some individuals just don’t care. 5_8 shots consecutively for fun I’m assuming, unless they were cornered by zombies.

Was getting out of the truck to walk up a road That was in pretty bad shape and as I was putting on m back pack, some moron decided to go around by me and head up the road in his orange Jeep. No respect or courtesy towards other hunters at all. Also noticed a guy way in there hunting with a couple ladies in a Civic...crazy but to each their own.

Stopped and talked to a gentleman who was hunting with his daughters; they were really nice and they expressed the same concerns.

Anyways, just thought I’d blab about that area as I wasn’t impressed.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:24 PM

What was the fello with his daughter driving?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:59 PM

Default Pickup

I believe it was a chevy pick up. Why do you ask
Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Where did you see the animals? I wanna go take some pictures. And shoot me a moose
Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 PM

Society has gone down the tubes everywhere it seems. Don't know if it's just a generation gone bad or broken homes and no father to kick em in the behind. Or the school system not allowed to discipline or all of the above but it's everywhere there's people. Garbage, morons on atvs, people just don't have the morals or common sense anymore or respect. Not everyone of course but we all know the type that just makes you scratch your head.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Society has gone down the tubes everywhere it seems. Don't know if it's just a generation gone bad or broken homes and no father to kick em in the behind. Or the school system not allowed to discipline or all of the above but it's everywhere there's people. Garbage, morons on atvs, people just don't have the morals or common sense anymore or respect. Not everyone of course but we all know the type that just makes you scratch your head.
And I think it's more prevailantly disrespectful than any of us care to admit. We all use clichés like bad apples and the 1%. However I think it's a lot more dire than that. And Bleeker by the day. Not to be a super pessimist. Surely there's a lot of these folks that creep the pages of the outdoorsman forum. Hopefully they read threads like this and take it to heart. Let's leave these wild places beautiful. Pick up your shells. Pick up your garbage. Teach a kid the right way so future generations don't suffer. Volunteer for your local association or whatever you choose to support. We can all do a little bit more....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 PM

And how many hunters did you drive past to get to "your spot" I wonder?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Was just wondering if I ran into you. Was just my daughter and I, talked to a couple people and have those same thoughts. But no Chevy here.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Its a crazy busy area, i use to never where orange but as soon as rifle season opens there i put it on, we spoke with the fish/wildlife guys and they have handed out a few tickets for unsafe target shooting and clean up, the more logging they do the worse it gets, you can pretty much 4x4 back there all the way to Banff, lol

As soon as the access get easy everyone comes out, still some good spots but you have to get far away from the trails and roads
Old 10-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Wmu 412

Where do all the big ones go when the pressure comes on?!?!
Yup, I've hiked almost every inch of 412 and have seen some beautiful animals in the area. I've seen plenty of bull Elk, Moose, Whitetail and Mulie bucks too and plenty of Grouse to feed an army. But, once September rolls around the animals know somethings up. 412 has had a bad rap for years due to a complete disregard from OHV's, 4x4's and May Long Weekenders. Lately I've seen several RCMP roaming around checking people's PAL's and CO's checking tags/licenses. The hardest hit area seems to be any area off the Trans Alta road. I'm happy to see more roads being decommissioned too. This forces people to get out of their vehicles and walk the cutlines and many trails. What they (whoever they are) should set up a dedicated rifle range and archery range. This would hopefully keep all the trigger happy folks in one place and let the animals get a rest.

Just my .02
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM

I agree, I would love to see a dedicated area for target shooting, every clearing off Hwy 40 has a target set up with a bunch of garbage left behind, its just safer for everyone using the area
Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 PM

412 has been an absolute gong show for as long as I can remember even before the trail system was put in. the late 90’s and early 2000 that was the place to go for may long and 4x4ing. Once home stead and McLean got shut down it only got worse. If they close it down there then everyone will just pound porkys or Indian graves. It seems like anything inside of 2 hours of Calgary gets heavy use from everyone. I hope It gets better but i don’t see any soloitions that would work for all the multi use land users.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:16 PM

Your mad because you stopped on the road and some one drove past you? People need somewhere to sight in their rifles, otherwise were just gonna hear more complaining later on about people finding wounded animals. If your hunting where people are driving civics its no wonder your finding it crowded
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Default I didn’t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
And how many hunters did you drive past to get to "your spot" I wonder?
I didn’t pass people on the gravel roads or if I did they were parked. Nice attitude.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:52 PM

Default Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Was just wondering if I ran into you. Was just my daughter and I, talked to a couple people and have those same thoughts. But no Chevy here.
Wasn’t sure the Truck. Was a guy with 2 daughters though, one was outside at the time with her rifle walking.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
Your mad because you stopped on the road and some one drove past you? People need somewhere to sight in their rifles, otherwise were just gonna hear more complaining later on about people finding wounded animals. If your hunting where people are driving civics its no wonder your finding it crowded
Really buddy. First of all it was a dead end road with a ****ty trail that my Truck might get stuck in. The guy went around me for the intention of getting to hunt the trail before I could. I always stop and walk the trails I like best. Do you sight in your rifle with 100 plus rounds and for them consecutively with little to no regard for others? Oh and it’s a great spot to shoot down trees apparently l.

Also, for the guy in the Civic, It’s unreal he got in there. But hey, thanks for making all those valid points. Sounds like you have good judgement. Keep it up.

Last edited by hunterfisher; 10-24-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Z
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Really buddy. First of all it was a dead end road with a ****ty trail that my Truck might get stuck in. The guy went around me for the intention of getting to hunt the trail before I could. I always stop and walk the trails I like best. Do you sight in your rifle with 100 plus rounds and for them consecutively with little to no regard for others? Oh and it’s a great spot to shoot down trees apparently l.

Also, for the guy in the Civic, It’s unreal he got in there. But hey, thanks for making all those valid points. Sounds like you have good judgement. Keep it up.
So you own the trails, they are your trails now. A bit entitled aarent we
Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
So you own the trails, they are your trails now. A bit entitled aarent we
Holy smokes. Are you guys unreal or what. Way to get the point, no wonder I don’t post as often.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post

Holy smokes. Are you guys unreal or what. Way to get the point, no wonder I don’t post as often.
Don't worry about the peons... You're not alone in your feelings/opinion about the area.

After ~5yrs now of venturing down the TransAlta (usually right to the end/valley), it's gone completely downhill since the public range @ Homestead closed and they started cracking down on people shooting recreationally within 1km of any "maintained road" in 406/Kananaskis.

The ungulate population has also gone downhill, and I'm seeing bears & more predator tracks...