Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Calling lake

I am just checking in to see if we can access Calling Lake with Trucks. Also, where on the lake is Volzwagon point and also the Tower. Looking to pinpoint the areas to give it a go. Dont want to waste time if we need sleds. Finally looking to see if there are any spots on the lake that are decent to walk on. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Cheers
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM

VW point is basically the proximate point in the NW corner, and the tower is on the East side, just look for "The Tower". As for access after this weather I would not drive on Calling. It was bad before the warm weather, now there will definately be lots of flood water and drain holes waiting to swallow trucks. I may be wrong, but it's a chance I will definately NOT take. You can walk on by the park boat launch, find 30' or so of water and fish away.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

would not recommended dive out just walk out, also try the ben auger park ( north east side) by sucker creek
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM

In my opinion the warm weather would make travel easier. It will sink the snow pack allowing less hang up. It's also about the only thing that fix's flood water. It melts the snow and diminishes it's insulating capabilities hence letting it all freeze up again. It will be white ice, not good ice but a whole lot better then flood water. I was there 3 weeks ago. 10-14" of ice. I was surprised. Might be a sled lake all year!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Default Calling Lake

Greatly appreciate the responses. I will walk on as travelling with kids. Have a great day. Good luck fishing!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Called to the neighbour at the lake. Fishing has been spotty but it has been tough to get around. Driving was very limited, but the snow has dropped about a foot and it looks like it will keep dropping over the next couple of days. Hopefully it re freezes quick. He saw headlights at VW Point from the townsite, so someone made it out there for night fishing.

Drewski