Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2023, 08:53 PM

Default Lac des isles Saskatchewan

Headed out to this lake for the family day long weekend and just looking for a little info. A buddy of mine recently bought a cabin there but neither he or I know the lake, any information would be appreciated, pm me if your more comfortable with that, not looking for your hot spots just if it is a safe lake to drive on or places to avoid, thanks.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:57 PM

I haven't been out to LDI this year but I used to fish it quite frequently. Most people head to Ranger Bay for perch/pike/walleye etc. Its a great pike lake, but also has its dangerous areas when driving. Water is constantly moving in the river channel but you can find fish pretty much anywhere on that lake.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:59 AM

Fished it hard two years ago may long weekend for 5 days . Had a group around 18 . We were all lucky if we could catch one fish per boat and 90 % were to small to keep. Talked to some locals and they said the lake really went down hill after they started netting it heavy years ago.
We fished ranger bay almost every day . Did see some very small perch on the back of the island . They would follow your hook around the boat when casting for pike . guess they were 2-3 inches long .
Might be better fishing come june.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Fished it hard two years ago may long weekend for 5 days . Had a group around 18 . We were all lucky if we could catch one fish per boat and 90 % were to small to keep. Talked to some locals and they said the lake really went down hill after they started netting it heavy years ago.
We fished ranger bay almost every day . Did see some very small perch on the back of the island . They would follow your hook around the boat when casting for pike . guess they were 2-3 inches long .
Might be better fishing come june.
I agree. We have fished that lake hard for many years and it aspires, at best, to be a mediocre lake. You can bet you will hear lots of "stories" about the 20lb pike and 10lb walleye almost every single time at the campground or local gas station - but have seen nothing really big come out of there and never had what I would call "great" fishing (at least not in last 10 years).

Much better lakes in the area I'd rather fish - that consistently produce far better numbers and much bigger sizes.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:39 PM

I fish it ALOT all summer as we have a place there. From what I’ve heard that the fishing was better when they netted it for Whitefish It isn’t what I’d call an easy lake to fish as there is so much structure and tons of baitfish. Over the years we kind of have it figured out a little bit. I have caught a few 10 lb walleye there and my best is a 28 lb jack.

If i want good ice fishing I go to Waterhen or Cold Lake for trout. Perch in March and Pike in March is okay.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:41 AM

Used to be a great lake for pike and had decent walleye too. When I was a kid, we were there for a vacation, this was damn near 30 years ago, I remember huge pike being cleaned at the fillet station by some old timers. These were good 15-20 lb pike. Used ot be that you could catch good pike there with little effort. I was there again more recently, about 10 years ago now, and the fishing was tough! Pike up to 10 lbs but nothing huge and definitely had to work harder for them. Walleye are in there but they hang out in smaller pods and no one i who knows is wiling to risk telling their "secrets". It's a shame because this used to be one of my favorite lakes growing up.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:47 PM

A lot of Alberta fishermen have migrated over into the Saskatchewan side so generally the closer to the Alberta border the lake is the harder the lake has been fished. The Meadow Lake area is no exception. Sadly, it ain't nowhere near what it use to be.

Can't blame this one on the Walleye...
Old 02-13-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbok View Post
I fish it ALOT all summer as we have a place there. From what I’ve heard that the fishing was better when they netted it for Whitefish It isn’t what I’d call an easy lake to fish as there is so much structure and tons of baitfish. Over the years we kind of have it figured out a little bit. I have caught a few 10 lb walleye there and my best is a 28 lb jack.

If i want good ice fishing I go to Waterhen or Cold Lake for trout. Perch in March and Pike in March is okay.
Agree with Rasbok, also have a place there and even summer fishing is hard. Ice fishing for consistent jack n walleye is hard to find. A truck tried to get through the narrrows of the big island and shore a couple winters ago and they broke through. If driving stay away from there as mentioned water flows through that lake from the rivers in and out. During x-mas break there were no vehicles on the large body. Have not been that way since
Old 02-14-2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
A lot of Alberta fishermen have migrated over into the Saskatchewan side so generally the closer to the Alberta border the lake is the harder the lake has been fished. The Meadow Lake area is no exception. Sadly, it ain't nowhere near what it use to be.

Those damn Albertans !!!!!!!!!

Get nasty looks with my AB plates and boat numbers in BC for years .... now our cousins in Sask will be doing the same here pretty soon !!!!!

I agree though ......... I bet you see half Alberta Plates and Boat Numbers out around Meadow Lakes Provincial quite often. One of those guys is me !!!!!
Old 02-15-2023, 05:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam, we use to fish meadow lake provincial park all the time, Lac des isles never let us down.
Family had great times there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-15-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I bet you see half Alberta Plates and Boat Numbers out around Meadow Lakes Provincial quite often. One of those guys is me !!!!!
I am guilty too for visiting it almost yearly ... here is a biggest pike I caught in Lac Des Isles 2 years ago. 13lbs.. was released, so hopefully by now she should be over 15lbs..

https://ibb.co/M1Ncbtm
Old 02-15-2023, 07:01 PM

LDI has many large pike in it still, you will never out fish that lake based on water entering and leaving. Its never been a great walleye lake to begin with and people targeting perch have altered that outcome as well. People always brag that Sask has better fish management but that is a false statement. Some anglers have no self control and don't realize when they are hurting a fishery. LDI is a giant lake with constant moving water which will always produce a nice fish population even with many anglers. A lot of lakes in Alberta don't have distinct features like this in order to sustain pressure. Same argument as keeping Lake trout in Cold Lake. You will kill them faster then they reproduce and grow, simple science.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

Saskies come to alberta to work, we go to saskie to kwep a few fish for supper....fair trade