Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Kayak fishing out of a pedal drive is a game changer. I highly recommend it.

Last Thursday I had the chance to join Chris from stringtheoryangling for some kayak fishing. As some of you may know I left my kayak on Vancouver Island and shore fishing has been a little bummer since covid. Chris was nice enough to invite me out for some fishing on his spare kayak which I am truly grateful for. You can see from the photos howmany people were parked at Star Lake.

I had a wonderful time fishing off the kayak and it was a pleasure to meet new people and make new friends. I hope you enjoy my new video.

https://youtu.be/0OL4B6fhKOA

If you're looking into joining the kayak fishing family I really recommend a pedal drive. I used less energy using the pedal compared to a traditional paddle.

Photo Credit: Stringtheoryangling

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Hi Hue.
Got a few question's

With the paddle as a back up would you take that set up on a river like the N/Sask Pembina in the slower sections.

What do you think as to stability in a cross current situation on the sit over version ?

The addition if available of a rowing frame to use paddles like drift boats might be an option for fighting heavier current say in rivers like the Athabasca and Red Deer stability dependent of course.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Hi Hue.
Got a few question's

With the paddle as a back up would you take that set up on a river like the N/Sask Pembina in the slower sections.

What do you think as to stability in a cross current situation on the sit over version ?

The addition if available of a rowing frame to use paddles like drift boats might be an option for fighting heavier current say in rivers like the Athabasca and Red Deer stability dependent of course.
This is definitely a question I would leave for @stringtheoryangling since this was my first experience on this specific pedal drive kayak. Based on the short amount of time I spent on this kayak. I Would definitely think this sit on top pedal drive can handle almost any situation except for white water river rapids. Not sure how this pedal drive works on shallow rivers with all the random river obstacles and stumps, since you need atleast 1.5 feet of water to deploy the pedal drive. Many other pedal drive kayaks like Jackson kayak FD and Hobie mirage drives can hit tree stumps and glide right over. Hitting a stump with the perception pilot may put you to a dead stop. If you were considering a pedal drive for the rivers I would consider one of the other options.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

cant afford one....….you rich youtube fellas.

I saw one the other day...fella had a trailer for it 6k.....holy moly eh....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-13-2020, 05:17 PM

Your better off not cheaping out on a lower end model . I'm dealing with some BS right now, which is too bad because when the kayak was functioning it was a blast . Nailed my personal best rainbow on the flyrod shortly before the pedal drive failed .
Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
cant afford one....….you rich youtube fellas.

I saw one the other day...fella had a trailer for it 6k.....holy moly eh....
Fishing kayaks are becoming more expensive! Some are more expensive and have surpassed job boats.

Apex Kayak just showcased a new kayak which is like 9000 american LMAO

The sport is growing so fast.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Your better off not cheaping out on a lower end model . I'm dealing with some BS right now, which is too bad because when the kayak was functioning it was a blast . Nailed my personal best rainbow on the flyrod shortly before the pedal drive failed .
Which kayak is it you are experiencing trouble on?

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM

Great to hear you enjoyed your kayak experience!

I picked up my Jackson last fall and spent the time during the covid lockdown tweaking it a little. Its allot of fun for sure, and at the end of the day I can come home and hang it on the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kayak_small.jpg (67.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200705_203046_small.jpg (68.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Great to hear you enjoyed your kayak experience!

I picked up my Jackson last fall and spent the time during the covid lockdown tweaking it a little. Its allot of fun for sure, and at the end of the day I can come home and hang it on the wall.
Wow your kayak is nicely rigged! My dream kayak is the Jackson Kayak Coosa FD but I need to sell my left nut for it.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Wow your kayak is nicely rigged! My dream kayak is the Jackson Kayak Coosa FD but I need to sell my left nut for it.
Everything I picked up I grabbed on a sale. Took some time to swing it that way but no way I was going to pay full pop. lol

The Coosa is really popular, especially if you want to drop it into rivers. I have the Big Rig as I wanted the most stable ride I could get and mostly fish lakes. I can stand and cast for hours in this thing and its super solid.

The only complaint I have is that its heavy, (130lbs empty) still working out some of that end. If I had the room, I'd get a little trailer for it but that's not happening for awhile.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:04 AM

My neighbor has one, I see him trolling for walleye with it and it looks like a slick rig for that. When I drift a weed edge or a shoreline however, I'm back paddling and sculling sideways at least as much as I am paddling forward to keep my boat positioned. To me it seems that, while a pedal drive would excel at some things, when it comes to tight quarters and precise positioning one is better off with a paddle in hand.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 AM

Wink

hmmmmm…..I feel a little under equipped.....

IMG_3523.JPG

gotta start shopping

Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My neighbor has one, I see him trolling for walleye with it and it looks like a slick rig for that. When I drift a weed edge or a shoreline however, I'm back paddling and sculling sideways at least as much as I am paddling forward to keep my boat positioned. To me it seems that, while a pedal drive would excel at some things, when it comes to tight quarters and precise positioning one is better off with a paddle in hand.
that when you pull it off the side of your yak....work the waters accordingly.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I still have the paddle with me handy if I need it. Its always nice to have options available for the type of water your in.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
hmmmmm…..I feel a little under equipped.....

Attachment 165386

gotta start shopping
That's a nice yak, if it gets you out on the water its a great day!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
that when you pull it off the side of your yak....work the waters accordingly.
Nah, that's when I grab it from where I leaned it against the thwart, nice and handy. Try as I might, I don't think I'll ever be a Kayak guy. Obviously I'm the odd man out, but every time I get in one I miss my canoe.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Nah, that's when I grab it from where I leaned it against the thwart, nice and handy. Try as I might, I don't think I'll ever be a Kayak guy. Obviously I'm the odd man out, but every time I get in one I miss my canoe.
and that's why I got a canoe too....but just had to try something different...someone once said variety is the spice of life...I like too many fishing thingies....I have a problem.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks Huy
Well there ya go needs a foot and a half of water that negates its use for me, lots of shallow spots of 6" or less where I go.

Plus where am I gonna stick mt elk quarters lol.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Thanks Huy
Well there ya go needs a foot and a half of water that negates its use for me, lots of shallow spots of 6" or less where I go.

Plus where am I gonna stick mt elk quarters lol.
Depending on the brand of kayak you get, (with pedal drive) propeller depth can be adaptable.

The Jackson unit for instance, has a 3 position placement.
Full length, Medium length depth, and fully retracted so you can paddle.

You can even run into submerged obstructions and the unit will kick itself out of harms way. Your 6" depth is still doable.

Last edited by Vapor; 07-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
and that's why I got a canoe too....but just had to try something different...someone once said variety is the spice of life...I like too many fishing thingies....I have a problem.
I've been there buddy... quite often I get the feeling that kayak fishing might be the next big thing for me. I combat that by renting one when I go on vacation to somewhere warm... by the time I make it back to shore I'm cured!
Old 07-14-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Depending on the brand of kayak you get, (with pedal drive) propeller depth can be adaptable.

The Jackson unit for instance, has a 3 position placement.
Full length, Medium length depth, and fully retracted so you can paddle.

You can even run into submerged obstructions and the unit will kick itself out of harms way. Your 6" depth is still doable.
Not sure what section of the Pembina he's running, but where I run it my canoes get a few good scars on the bottom most times. Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea... but as the only fool to still prefer a canoe, take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I've been there buddy... quite often I get the feeling that kayak fishing might be the next big thing for me. I combat that by renting one when I go on vacation to somewhere warm... by the time I make it back to shore I'm cured!

Try a pedal kayak or one with a motor , paddling and trying to fish sucks . The one thing I don't like after being out for the morning is trying to get out of the boat after I've stiffened up .
Old 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Try a pedal kayak or one with a motor , paddling and trying to fish sucks . The one thing I don't like after being out for the morning is trying to get out of the boat after I've stiffened up .
The pedal drive definitely does make it effortless forsure! After a short paddle I get very lazy. I feel like i can sit in a pedal drive for 10 hours no problem.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have spent my time in the far sea's wondering aimlessly along the edge of a coral reef in a resort kayak....the rum on shore makes the trip well worth it and man can you ever catch a variety of fish....the yak I got now fits me nicely and I got 4 hours max out of one trip so far....no issues....I really enjoy it too....solo...no one else....solitude....except the hottie on the dam paddle board who keeps checking in on me.....

Old 07-14-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I have spent my time in the far sea's wondering aimlessly along the edge of a coral reef in a resort kayak....the rum on shore makes the trip well worth it and man can you ever catch a variety of fish....the yak I got now fits me nicely and I got 4 hours max out of one trip so far....no issues....I really enjoy it too....solo...no one else....solitude....except the hottie on the dam paddle board who keeps checking in on me.....
Those ladies you always see on the paddle boards just make the trip that much better haha

I hope its not your RUM goggles though.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Just run a sail in conjunction with the pedals. An outrigger (or two) for stability if you want it. I see a lot of them chasing tuna within a couple miles of shore here and the guys I’ve talked to love em.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
My buddy just bought one---lot of money for a kayak
Old 07-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Just run a sail in conjunction with the pedals. An outrigger (or two) for stability if you want it. I see a lot of them chasing tuna within a couple miles of shore here and the guys I’ve talked to love em.
Saw a kayak sail pop up add on FB , looked like a neat idea .
Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 AM

Hobie Makes these kayak sails. One of the coolest ideas for a kayak. Crazy expensive set up though.

Respect wildlife
Old 07-15-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Hobie Makes these kayak sails. One of the coolest ideas for a kayak. Crazy expensive set up though.

hmmm when does a kayak stop being a kayak? That there is a freakin' sail boat....

Tags
kayak fishing alberta, star lake