Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 11:15 AM

Default Open water gear for 2021...

With all the projected delays and shortages for fishing gear this summer I’ve been spending my winter months ordering stuff so it’s here when the ice goes. Anyone else doing the same? What’s on your “want” list for open water season 2021?

Here are a couple of my last deliveries.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-04-2021, 12:12 PM

I'm picking up a new side imaging unit for my boat tomorrow as well as few more lures (I became a huge fan of those Peto and Otus lures last year). I've been on the fence about ordering some stuff from Sweden....specifically these....but at almost $100 a pop I'm not sure I'm there yet lol.
Also have a new Piscifun 4000 carbon X spinning reel I'm looking forward to trying.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM

Havent bought much, mostly line. Cleaned up all the rods, new line, drop of oil on the reels. My 8 year old is ready for a pin cast so went to the fishing hole and picked him up a decent 6' spin rod/reel. Put on the 15lb power pro.

Oh I also purchased a carrying case that holds 6-8 rods when taken down.

Taking wife, 4 kids and father to a fly in only lake in northern sask in August!!

So excited.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

new fish finder, new motor, new seats.....hmmmm let me see what else

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-04-2021, 02:59 PM

I've been looking for a heavy ice fishing rod. There none to be found. Seems like a shortage of all rods.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 PM

ahhhh I love thinking about open water! Coming soon! We've had about 15 offers for our boat so far, so as soon as it's back in the yard from wintering, it'll be sold and then we're upgrading. I absolutely can't WAIT to get on my new favourite trophy walleye lake with an 18' tiller boat and a MASSIVE casting deck! I'm already dreaming of bare feet on the carpet.......
Old 03-04-2021, 03:33 PM

Make the ice go away now and bring on open water

Still need to upgrade my pike combo just have not settled on what. Fishing kayaks will be checked out once spring innovatory is in. Looking into heading out east for musky or big pike

Been working on a few new lure designs as well. Mostly excited to see how my hybrid hard bait/under spin/soft paddle tail turns out

All I know is bring on open water this starring down a hole is not cutting
Old 03-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Got a brand new 40/hp Merc tiller for the boat and sold the 25/hp. Got a new Curado bait caster. Brought in some top secret tackle from Europe - so off to the races.

Dodger.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:45 PM

Glad to see that I’m not the only one excited for open water!

Oh, I have a Humminbird Mega 360 and Mega Live on order too...

Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
I've been looking for a heavy ice fishing rod. There none to be found. Seems like a shortage of all rods.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
I picked up a couple of those Jason Mitchell Mack rods earlier this year....a 40"H and a 36"MH.....the 40H is a beast.
Happy with them for the $55 they are worth.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2021, 07:40 PM

Picked up a new garmin fishfinder ( echomap uhd 75sv) and have been using it ice fishing, never used a sonar on the ice, game changer. Pretty sweet.

Looking at picking up a shimano vanford f reel, can’t seem to find one anywhere yet though. Any have one? Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribolovac View Post
Picked up a new garmin fishfinder ( echomap uhd 75sv) and have been using it ice fishing, never used a sonar on the ice, game changer. Pretty sweet.

Looking at picking up a shimano vanford f reel, can’t seem to find one anywhere yet though. Any have one? Thoughts?

I have had a Vanford on order for the past 6 months and still no sign of it. Demand is extremely high for the supply there is it seems.

SS

Old 03-04-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I have had a Vanford on order for the past 6 months and still no sign of it. Demand is extremely high for the supply there is it seems.

SS
That’s to bad. They’re on the shelf in every fishing store here. Could mail you a few but the postage would probably be $40.

I need/want a dedicated seventh and eighth trolling rod/reel. Probably one tiagra 20 and a 50 wide tyrnos both on 15kg Shimano tcurve or tag-em rods. Currently my seventh rod is a tcurve jigging rod with a avet lx reel and only makes 22lbs of drag and holds about 700m of line so a little under gunned. Usually a deckie has to bring a rod to make up the difference but I will eventually get another two so I can run one off a downrigger with a planer on the thermocline and still run seven lines on surface behind the boat.

An anchor winch and 36 volt ipilot are on the wish list too but far from priorities with the lack of bottom bashing I do.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:20 AM

Can't decide whether to finally replace my main fly rod Betsy to one I don't have to tape the reel on anymore or upgrade the satchel to a model that holds more beer...
Old 03-05-2021, 04:50 AM

I need to replace a couple of fly lines before the ice melts.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:

SS
Worth the wait. I run Stradic Ci4+'s...the Vanford is a renamed Ci4+ to avoid confusion with the Stradic FL. Awesome reels.

P.S. It's March. Everyone get out fishing. You suffer through the dog days of January and February for this month of fishing sitting out in the sun in a T-shirt (as we were yesterday). Plenty of time for the mad rush of preparing for open water once the ice deteriorates IMO.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM

Public service announcement for anyone thinking about selling their Shimano rods or reels - DON'T!!!

Shimano is backordered on ALL reels and most rods until at least July/August, and many rods/reels don't even have new stock dates. It's crazy.

I don't know how the other manufacturers are fairing, but if you're looking to buy Shimano products, I'd get into your local fishing store and buy anything they have on the shelf, because it sounds like finding anything Shimano in the next while could be like finding a unicorn.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Worth the wait. I run Stradic Ci4+'s...the Vanford is a renamed Ci4+ to avoid confusion with the Stradic FL. Awesome reels.

P.S. It's March. Everyone get out fishing. You suffer through the dog days of January and February for this month of fishing sitting out in the sun in a T-shirt (as we were yesterday). Plenty of time for the mad rush of preparing for open water once the ice deteriorates IMO.

Yeah, I have a few Stradic Ci4+ in various sizes already. They are great.

As for heading out ice fishing, the two activities don’t need to be mutually exclusive! Haha. With the long lead times on stuff it’s good to get on ordering anything specific that you are wanting. Stock is and will continue to be an issue for all things fishing it seems.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:50 PM

the stock line that came on my rod finally got near the end last year, and i'm planning on getting some braid and fluorocarbon for it as i've never actually had a rod with that setup before. I also might like to get a second rod thats lighter, as my current rod is a medium heavy, and it would be nice to have something light for trout and keep my big rod for pike.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
With all the projected delays and shortages for fishing gear this summer I’ve been spending my winter months ordering stuff so it’s here when the ice goes. Anyone else doing the same? What’s on your “want” list for open water season 2021?

Here are a couple of my last deliveries.

What rod are you using to throw those new peto's around? I'm in the market for a beefier pike/lake trout rod. Was thinking this HMX might do fine for bigger spoons and the not so ridiculous 6" swim jigs:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94571...x-casting-rods

HMX76H-FC 7'6" Heavy Fast 1/2-1 1/2oz 15-30 lb test
Old 03-05-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
What rod are you using to throw those new peto's around? I'm in the market for a beefier pike/lake trout rod. Was thinking this HMX might do fine for bigger spoons and the not so ridiculous 6" swim jigs:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94571...x-casting-rods

HMX76H-FC 7'6" Heavy Fast 1/2-1 1/2oz 15-30 lb test
I'm using a Shimano Skixx 8' Heavy with a Tranx 300 or a Shimano Zodias Medium Heavy 7' 3" with a Curado K.

SS

Old 03-05-2021, 05:51 PM

My experiment this year will be using a 9-10' salmon rod to shore fish for walleye and pike on the big lake. Making a trip to the city in a couple weeks, will pick one up then.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 PM

I am sad to hear about the limited shimano stock, makes sense though as I have been looking for a vanford on a number of Canadian sites for months now to no avail. I picked up a st croix avid spinning rod last year and it is pretty sweet.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM

I didn’t need a pandemic to cause me to gear up. I have gear that I haven’t even taken the tags off yet. Lol. I just hope my new truck that I have had on order since January shows up to pull the boat to the lake. 🙏🏼
Old 03-09-2021, 06:12 PM

This finally arrived today:

Old 03-09-2021, 06:45 PM

Been feeling spring fever lately. Just ordered a new quad fish pontoon boat yesterday. They say late June delivery. Hopefully they’re right.
Now I have to sell my old pontoon and my walleye boat to pay for it.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:43 PM

I decided to order a Camper Enclosure for the 21' SeaRay to avoid the discomfort on those cold rainy days this year....had many days on the bigger lakes where the wind picks up and a good rain squall comes through especially in early and late season. The full Bimini top was good for some shelter, but as I get older...I figure I deserve a little more comfort as rain typically doesnt fall straight down 😠...so when the rain comes Im gonna button up, put a pot of coffee on the Coleman stove and wait it out in comfort. Ordered it from Great Lakes Boat Tops in the States as they provided the original bimini top that came with the boat. They just asked for my H.I.N looked it up and fabricated the matching panels to zip to it to have the boat fully enclosed....lol...2 weeks from payment to it being on my door step....absolutely Amazing! Now to wait till it warms a bit more to make sure it all fits!😁
Old 03-10-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
This finally arrived today:

Sweet. You will have to report back and give us a review mid summer.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 PM

I recently bought a pair of Temple Fork Outfitters fly rods to replace a pair that I'm retiring. I also need to order a new Scientific Anglers clear camo full sink line. I'm thinking about buying a trailer for my 12ft jon boat too. I haven't had any luck finding anything used, so I may wander into a dealer and see what a new Karavan will set me back...
Old 03-12-2021, 08:58 PM

Well it won't help too much this year, but next. Placed the order on a North River 22' Seahawk Fastback. Serial number won't be assigned till May, the hull will be delivered to Port Alberni in October and from there the motors, electronics etc get installed. Going to be a long wait