Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM

Default Coal lake, did the fish leave the north end?

Hi there, it is my first post here. I used to fish the Coal lake in the weekend all summer and the shore of the north end always had a lot of action. It has been very slow in the last couple weeks though. I thought all the fish have gone south before the winter. I am hesitant to try it anymore, hate to fish while no fish
Have anyone had some luck there recently? I hope someone knows about this migration from north to south ends, if there is such thing.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 01:55 PM

Your talking by Leduc? Haven't fished there for awhile. But I tend to always have better luck at north end then the south end! How's the weeds in there?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Yes, just by highway 616. Weed is much less than the summer. I use topwater cranckbaits and enjoy seeing the pike jump to get it, so weed was not a problem. But no much luck in the last couple weeks.
I will be in Wetaskiwin tomorrow morning and I will probably try the south end. May be the fish is hiding there for some reason
Old 11-02-2015, 03:09 PM

I seen a perch in there after the wife's hook this spring. If the weather is nice I might try some shore fishing this weekend. I need to do some fishing !
Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 PM

Maybe the pike have been staying down from the topwaters since its been cold these days. Not sure, but when I used to fish there years ago it was solid action!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Ok, I went this morning to the 2 ends of Coal Lake. Fishing from shore at the 2 boat launches, the north side is better for sure. I caught 6 pikes this morning all from the north side.
Now why there were no fish the past 2 weeks, I do not know. But I did notice that the fish is less active and show less appetite. I guess the cold temperature makes their metabolism to slow down. I had to wake them up with loud rattling bait before I could find some bites. All in all, it was a great fishing trip. Can't imagine the winter without this kind of excitement.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 PM

About 20 years ago we used to catch huge mutant perch in that lake as well. Has anyone seen any perch in there recently.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:23 PM

I fished there many times this summer never saw a perch.. not with my lures at least
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 AM

The first day of the season this spring my wife and fished there. And a perch chased her hook. Just saw a quick dash of it. A guy I work with says his uncle has a spot he goes and catches a few of them threw the ice. But he won't give up his spot. I got a few spots I am going to try this winter.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM

The first fish I ever caught in coal lake was a perch actually, talk about luck; never caught one since but last summer me and my uncle found many schools of them. Only had pike gear though so didn't catch any, they're in there just need to find them