Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Mexico Shore fishing rod

Anyone pack their own gear down? Any info on it?

Thinking of trying to find a 4 piece rod and spinning reel.

What did you use for bait or hooks?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:06 PM

I'm going to El cid on the 2nd and plan on bringing my 8'0 sturgeon rod as well as an assortment of swim baits, spoons, jigs, and all that fun stuff...hopefully to test my luck at some jack crevalle, barracuda's, and maybe even a roosterfish... I read that tossing out a jig and some kind of bait under a big bobber is quite the adrenaline rush for barracuda's so maybe I can beat my PB...also plan on getting out for at least a day with a charter as I would love to catch a mahi mahi or a wahoo but apparently there's lots of marlin and sailfish around...hopefully I'll have a report in 2 weeks for ya
Old 12-26-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennich98 View Post
I'm going to El cid on the 2nd and plan on bringing my 8'0 sturgeon rod as well as an assortment of swim baits, spoons, jigs, and all that fun stuff...hopefully to test my luck at some jack crevalle, barracuda's, and maybe even a roosterfish... I read that tossing out a jig and some kind of bait under a big bobber is quite the adrenaline rush for barracuda's so maybe I can beat my PB...also plan on getting out for at least a day with a charter as I would love to catch a mahi mahi or a wahoo but apparently there's lots of marlin and sailfish around...hopefully I'll have a report in 2 weeks for ya
If your talking El Cid in Mazatlan grab a ride to the Cerritos trailer park north of the hotel...nice rocky point with tons of different fish! Tough time of year but you'll still hook up, lots of small Jacks!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
If your talking El Cid in Mazatlan grab a ride to the Cerritos trailer park north of the hotel...nice rocky point with tons of different fish! Tough time of year but you'll still hook up, lots of small Jacks!
I'll have to try that out! I saw that there was a big dock close to the El Cid marina at our hotel so I'll mainly be trying around there...are locals strict on the whole 250 ft from swimmers? Kinda seems like a pretty far distance but I guess it makes sense at the same time...I wouldn't want fishermen accidentally attracting any kind of toothy predators where I'm swimming lol...can I just give any fish that I'm allowed to keep to the locals as long as I don't go over my limit
Old 12-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Pascal at peche sud is very knowledgable on the topic and carries a wide range of premium gear. He usually replies very quickly and it's supporting a Canadian business. http://www.pechesud.com/en/
I think one of the members on here bought a blazer power pilk rod a few years ago and had some success with it. Hopefully it helps.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Are you going to the Caribbean side or Pacific side El Sid?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 PM

Depends on how you want to fish. Any rod and reel will work if you're just chucking bait, longer the rod the farther you can cast.
Everyone is different. For me I use a 10ft St. Criox 4pc Triumph surf Rod(3/4-4oz rating) paired with a Shimano Sustain 10000FG with 50lb super slick PP. and a leader of around 80lb flouro. For lures I find the Rangers cast the farthest for me for top water, but if nothing is around, I'll go to a swim jig (so I can cast far) and swim it towards me.
In Maz if you see boils of fish they're probably jacks, where there are jacks there are usually Roosters.
The water temps in the pacific the past year are all messed up cause of the El Niño you might be surprised what is there when they are not supposed to be.
As mentioned above the rocky points are best, but people have caught lots off the rocks at the marina.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 PM

I bought a 11.5' 4 peice rod. With lots of 2oz big stuff to chuck way out there. And everything to fish the bottom with shrimp from the resort.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYiNGuY View Post
Depends on how you want to fish. Any rod and reel will work if you're just chucking bait, longer the rod the farther you can cast.
Everyone is different. For me I use a 10ft St. Criox 4pc Triumph surf Rod(3/4-4oz rating) paired with a Shimano Sustain 10000FG with 50lb super slick PP. and a leader of around 80lb flouro. For lures I find the Rangers cast the farthest for me for top water, but if nothing is around, I'll go to a swim jig (so I can cast far) and swim it towards me.
In Maz if you see boils of fish they're probably jacks, where there are jacks there are usually Roosters.
The water temps in the pacific the past year are all messed up cause of the El Niño you might be surprised what is there when they are not supposed to be.
As mentioned above the rocky points are best, but people have caught lots off the rocks at the marina.
I have 300 yards of 30lb power pro with. 50lb fluoro. What should I chuck for the jacks and hopefully a rooster? Also have the stuff to rig shrimp on the bottom. Any advice?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 AM

The mix of lures I will be taking(remembering I only have one trip of experience) will be in general fast and flashy and tail heavy , but I will throw in some plain minnow lures and a mix of jigs and soft plastics. And probably a LT 5 of diamonds  though it can’t handle the retrieve speed you supposedly need.

For roosters and jacks

http://www.robertslures.com/products.html
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/30704/ you do have to mod this one to get real distance

For jacks, sierras and anything sub surface
Deadly dicks a mix of 1oz and 2 oz
Cast masters (like deadly dicks but wider there are some at Cabela’s Calgary in a bargain bin for 2.38 as of yesterday)
Those minnow shaped jigs that they use on the coast for ling cod
I should add a buzz bait or two

If I could find it the elusive No5 Kroc spoon.

And because I have started to play with making my own lures
A high speed top water you make out of copper tube
And yes a spoon made from a spoon  the handle

For working top water around the rocks for fish that like a slower lure
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...1210130511203/

google pendulum cast to get real distance the lure cannot tumble
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 AM

I've done a few trips in Mexico as well and have found good success with shimano waxwing lures. They cast quite far and have really good action. Just cast as far as you can and reel, the lure has a really enticing swimming action and works well. I have caught tuna, jacks, dorado, wahoo, barracuda, hound fish and a snook on the waxwing lures. The medium and second largest sizes are dynamite. Check them out!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 AM

Those look officially interesting does anyone local have them or are they a internet purchase

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I have 300 yards of 30lb power pro with. 50lb fluoro. What should I chuck for the jacks and hopefully a rooster? Also have the stuff to rig shrimp on the bottom. Any advice?
Anything top water that you can cast far. I've had luck with the ranger and not so much with the stick poppers(they don't cast well).

Excellent info from Aulrich.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:34 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any pics of fish caught while shore fishing Mexico?

We tried Surf fishing last year in Cabo! We had a blast, we would go just about every morning first thing. We found that bottom fishing shrimp worked but we only caught puffer fish, and sting rays. We tried casting swim baits, spoons, and cabo killers into the the boils of fish, but nothing would hit! It was fun and we are still learning. We shore fished infront of Barcelo, royal solaris, and holiday inn, near San Jose del cabo!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 AM

This is the only picture that survived a hard disk crash of the last trip, and it also prompted me to also bring a light surf rod the bazzoka tube holds a few rods . The big sexy fish may not be around while I am there(peak fishig in the surf is summer after all) but the little stuff is generally always around

Fyi the name of the fish is a gafftopsail pompano and if I can find the bigger ones they should be fun on light gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MazPompano.jpg (40.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Those look officially interesting does anyone local have them or are they a internet purchase
I ordered mine off of tackle direct. I don't believe there are any stores in Canada that stock them but I haven't looked in a couple years.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Anyone pack their own gear down? Any info on it?

Thinking of trying to find a 4 piece rod and spinning reel.

What did you use for bait or hooks?
I started with a 6'-6" 4pce ugly stick and a shimano 4000 reel with a 1 oz deadly dick. Good for about 70-80 yds with 20 lb braid. It might throw up to the 1 1/2 oz size. Caught a 10 lb mackerel with that. Also used a casting bobber with some wet flies and got lots of small surf fish. Then I tried the 4 pce 11'-6" rapala rod from the fishing hole with a tica scepter 10000 reel and 30 lb braid. This got me into the 90-120 yd range with 1 1/2 - 4 oz lures. Now I have a CTS 5 pce 1-3 oz rod with a daiwa saltist 6500 and 45 lb- 8 strand gosen braid and get up to 150 yds with a tail wind. For local lures I recommend deadly dicks, they cast well and the reflective finish stays on despite the toothy critters. The gibbs minnow catches fish but the reflective strip is quickly bitten off. The best top water casting lure is the ice cream skinny, casts like a dart and quickly swims to the top. Some keys are using braided line, aerodynamic lures and fast retrieve. I picked up a d o a jigging device but have not tried it out yet as well as some Breakaway fish finders and super sinkers for bottom bait fishing but have not used them. These look like the best bet for bait fishing but the locals will outfish you 5-1 with just a handline. And you will find the same old story that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water so a lot of searching is required. And 70% of the game fish are out in the warm water May-Oct. There is a pool at the north end of town at the local beach used to be good for fishing. I haven't been there since 2010. I'll try and post some pics from PVR in august.
And some medical tape or a golf glove for your casting finger, wet skin and thin braid cut like butter.

Last edited by thedonald; 01-01-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 PM

I would suggest

okuma nomad travel rod

I have the heavy. Good for large cuda, tarpon, Hali etc.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 AM

Just added a long range spoon, 3 5/8 OZ of casting fun. I got it from the place I get most of my unpainted lure bodies they only had red so I might have to work out how to get other colors going.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 AM

Well I'm back. Had the 11'6" rapala 4 piece rod and a shimano 1800 reel with 30lb power pro and 50lb fluoro leader. That part of the set up was good.

1oz croc spoon won't cast far but can catch lots of small aquarium fish near the rocks.

Big stuff like the Gibbs 2oz spoons cast far but have no action and won't pop on the surface.

2oz rapala X raps worked good but we're to bulky to fly far. I had big fish on the X raps. Either roosters or big jacks and they would take me into a little rock pile and bust me off.

I also had some nice snapper I'm guessing? Fishing right in the big rocks that would also bust me off but fishing there in the big rocks I guess that's to be expected.

Caught puffer fish and other sea perch small bass looking stuff with a sliding rig and shrimp on the bottom with a 4 oz pyramid.

Needed some different 2-3oz stuff to cast way out to where fish were seen working bait. Cabo killers and rangers I've read are suppose to be the ticket will order some for next time.

Thanks for the advice Don. Like you say you need something that flys like a dart and stays on the surface. Found it more entertaining then 7hr charter anyways.

Let me know if you know of any shore fishing guides in Mazatlan. The riu was nice will go again.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM

Nice to hear, 5 weeks six days for me but who’s counting.

I have done some more digging and the and the longer range Kroc spoons are not locally available but I did see them on Tackledirect. The surfcasters call them a double wide they are the same 3” that we can get here but they are 1.5 and 2.25 the spoon body is punched from a much thicker base stock.

Oddly enough I found a youtube yesterday where a guy makes a long range spoon out of a kitchen knife handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdhZY6e90c

The guy also has a video on how to do a weight shifting plug, it won’t bet the tin for distance but it should outcast a typical plug.

I am not convinced any of the long range tin has much for action other than what you put into it heck the T-hex is just a chunk of hex bar with hooks on it.

http://www.tackledirect.com/aok-tack...tal-lures.html
Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Nice to hear, 5 weeks six days for me but who’s counting.

I have done some more digging and the and the longer range Kroc spoons are not locally available but I did see them on Tackledirect. The surfcasters call them a double wide they are the same 3” that we can get here but they are 1.5 and 2.25 the spoon body is punched from a much thicker base stock.

Oddly enough I found a youtube yesterday where a guy makes a long range spoon out of a kitchen knife handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdhZY6e90c

The guy also has a video on how to do a weight shifting plug, it won’t bet the tin for distance but it should outcast a typical plug.

I am not convinced any of the long range tin has much for action other than what you put into it heck the T-hex is just a chunk of hex bar with hooks on it.

http://www.tackledirect.com/aok-tack...tal-lures.html

Than butter knife handle hook is very similar to the 2oz blue fox and Mepps I brought down. He added feather for some action I bet that helps because I through those couple hooks a lot and never had I bite wasn't convinced they had enough action.

I would get some of those 2oz croc spoons for sure.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 PM

I think it was mentioned above but it might be worth looking into a lite called the GT ice cream. Something similar to a ranger/line stretcher/ cabo killer. The assist hook really helps prevent a thrown bait.

Good to hear you had success!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Well I'm back. Had the 11'6" rapala 4 piece rod and a shimano 1800 reel with 30lb power pro and 50lb fluoro leader. That part of the set up was good.

1oz croc spoon won't cast far but can catch lots of small aquarium fish near the rocks.

Big stuff like the Gibbs 2oz spoons cast far but have no action and won't pop on the surface.

2oz rapala X raps worked good but we're to bulky to fly far. I had big fish on the X raps. Either roosters or big jacks and they would take me into a little rock pile and bust me off.

I also had some nice snapper I'm guessing? Fishing right in the big rocks that would also bust me off but fishing there in the big rocks I guess that's to be expected.

Caught puffer fish and other sea perch small bass looking stuff with a sliding rig and shrimp on the bottom with a 4 oz pyramid.

Needed some different 2-3oz stuff to cast way out to where fish were seen working bait. Cabo killers and rangers I've read are suppose to be the ticket will order some for next time.

Thanks for the advice Don. Like you say you need something that flys like a dart and stays on the surface. Found it more entertaining then 7hr charter anyways.

Let me know if you know of any shore fishing guides in Mazatlan. The riu was nice will go again.
Good to hear your report Moose, I find the beauty of surf fishing is once you are set up it's a nice diversion without the cost of a charter. Although the bottom fishing charter in Mazatlan is cheap and good for a morning with lots of fish for supper. Thinking back, with the rapala rod, I never threw anything lighter than 2 oz with it. I find the distance really drops with those rods and a 1 oz. Another key is the rate of retrieve for the reel. 45" per crank is recommended to keep the lure splashing on top which the tica scepter has. My saltist is 53" per crank.
I found the T-hex lures with the siwash hook very effective, and until this year I had caught most of my large fish on them. I have trouble getting good distance with the roberts rangers except the 1 3/4 oz and I find they don't swim as good right at the start. It seems to be a rod stiffness thing as my cts is a fast action and the rapala is a medium. I also have the 3 oz crocs but I have not got a bite with them. They may work better around the rocks for the slower fish as they have too much action for a high speed retrieve. If you watch the schools of bait they are swimming in and out of the water on top so that is the action you want a lure to mimick.
In my research I think the top places for surf fishing are Los Cabos, outside of PVR, around Zihuatanejo and Acapulco. If you look on google you will see the shelf drops right off in these areas, one spot outside of PVR is supposed to be 1000' deep at 100 yds out. I think mazatlan suffers from the shrimp fleet dragging nets up and down the coast.
I have a few roberts rangers, and other 2-3 oz metals that I may put up for sale.
I fished with this guy in PVR and this is his trip to Los cabos in december.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...-cabo-dorados/
and this guy guides in los cabos.
https://www.facebook.com/cabosurfcaster/?fref=ts
my office in August
https://www.facebook.com/don.roque.1...type=3&theater
And some pictures of my August trip.
https://www.facebook.com/don.roque.1...7428038&type=3

Last edited by thedonald; 01-10-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Just a heads up.... If you plan on carrying your 4pc rod on the plane with you to mexico, its no problem but getting back on the plane with it in mexico is a no go now. "Apparently" this rule changed in september for the Mexicans. I thought I was going to get tazered for it when I was there in dec in cabo. I had a minor dispute with security as I discussed why I could in Canada and couldn't in Mexico. I lost the argument....Thankfully westjet checked it in for me with no charge.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM

what kind of rod was it I am going to Ixtapa on Feb 4th
Old 01-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whooper14 View Post
what kind of rod was it I am going to Ixtapa on Feb 4th
See my post about ZIH. I might grab a flight down around the same time or maybe a bit later in the month when the tuna roll in. You have a charter set up yet?
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM

I had 2 with me, one was a St. Croix 4pc surf rod and the other was a 3pc 16wt fly rod. Both were in travel cases and both were just a bit too long to fit in a suitcase. I've been all over the place with them and Mexico was the only place I had trouble. I guess they changed the rules in September, I had been to Ixtapa with them last year with no problems.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Shimano Japan makes a line of travel rods called STC. I have an Exage 12'Distance caster in 7 pcs . fits in you suitcase. Great distance caster. My other is a Gloomis travel escape . 3pcs . will not fit my suitcase. I have traveled for many years with it strapped to my backpack . Last trip to Mexico I had to check it on the way back home , was not an issue going down . I was very relieved when it showed up in Calgary . I guess they changed the rules . Shimano Ultegra ci4 5500 is a great long casting real and performed very well . I have no problem casting 100-150 yards with a 2.25 ranger . with the exage . The trick is to wait till the birds start diving for fish within your casting range, then lunch your bait in the middle and reel as fast as you can don't stop even if a fish is chasing it . if you slow down they will turn away . You can also catch perch sized stuff right at your feet in 3 feet of water with a weight and a piece of raw shrimp . great fun if your kids are with you . Silver 1oz crocs work great too
Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Just ordered this rod for my trip in August. It will be my back up rod and is for the serious distance casters. It was recommended by a serious surf fisher as a cheap but useful outfit. Last year I tried out the 13'-6" Rapala but it was a disappointment, too much flex and no distance. The 11'-6" Rapala is okay. I am planning a 10 day trip so back up gear is required as not much is available down south or it is much more expensive. If anyone is interested, I can post a report when I return.

https://www.amazon.com/DAIWA-PRIME-S...657650_TE_item