Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Pulled up this old thread. Does the princess auto stove or a 30 pound tank stove hold enough wood and make enough heat for an 8X12 ice shack? Thinking for over night stays may not be sized big enough and up constantly feeding it. ?

My shack is 8x7 and it can get really hot in there after I did the 3” pipe mod.

I’m planning on building an 8x12 and using the same stove with a couple small 12v fans to move the air around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25 PM

I think it would heat a 12x16 pretty good if not cook you out in -15 . There is a lid for the hopper that seals very well so you have no draft going into the hopper so the fire doesn’t burn that way. I just put about 33lbs in the hopper and the stove was at its tipping point. I put two of my fire pit bricks on it,one inside and the other at the front of the stove. Your stove jack in your tent should help hold it all up but I’m going to see how the bricks work. I order mine from cylinderstoves.com and I do think I could weld up the same thing if I can find all the right material.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
My shack is 8x7 and it can get really hot in there after I did the 3” pipe mod.

I’m planning on building an 8x12 and using the same stove with a couple small 12v fans to move the air around

Just buy a eco-fan

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 PM

IMHO 3" is on small side for stovepipe.

I would always go standard 6" pipe with a chimney damper.

You can always slow down / damper your draft but if your stove won't pull air properly it sucks for lighting and smoke spillage.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
IMHO 3" is on small side for stovepipe.

I would always go standard 6" pipe with a chimney damper.

You can always slow down / damper your draft but if your stove won't pull air properly it sucks for lighting and smoke spillage.

I agree. But these princess auto stoves are only about 12” diameter x 20-24” long. There is almost not enough material on the top to even incorporate a big pipe like that.

If the stove body was big enough to even take more wood I would for sure go bigger on the pipe.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I think it would heat a 12x16 pretty good if not cook you out in -15 . There is a lid for the hopper that seals very well so you have no draft going into the hopper so the fire doesn’t burn that way. I just put about 33lbs in the hopper and the stove was at its tipping point. I put two of my fire pit bricks on it,one inside and the other at the front of the stove. Your stove jack in your tent should help hold it all up but I’m going to see how the bricks work. I order mine from cylinderstoves.com and I do think I could weld up the same thing if I can find all the right material.
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm really interested. If you have any other pics of that unit I would love to see them. It would be great to just load up some pellets and go to bed.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'm really interested. If you have any other pics of that unit I would love to see them. It would be great to just load up some pellets and go to bed.
Or with a wood stove, line the bottom with an inch of sand and then you can burn coal for the night. A couple big lumps will burn all night. That's if you can get lump coal. Not too many mines left.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets