Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 PM

Default Tournament fisherman caught cheating

I am long time walleye fisherman and have just started fishing a few tournaments. I herd the other day that a tournament fisherman was caught cheating in Saskatchewan. Is this just a rumour or is there any truth to this?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 PM

AH, do a little research into the tourneys in northern Alberta and you will find there is no shortage of the same happening!! So get used to it.. The thing is that these participants that cheat and end up collecting some cash actually think their good fisherman..
Oh well good way to donate your hard earned cash to tournaments you will never win. Sickening really!!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:48 PM

Yes I herd the guy was from Alberta.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:47 AM

Cheating in what way?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 AM

I heard that they were caught trimming fins so a heavier fish still fell under the length requirement, but that info came from a different forum that had a discussion around the same topic so take it for what that's worth.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 AM

An angler from northern AB (whose name I won't post publicly) tried to weigh in a fish at the Last Mountain Fall Classic that had clearly been "mangled". The tail fin was cut so that the fish was under the 21.5" slot limit. The angler was DQ'd on the spot and sent home.

That's all I know.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The tail fin was cut so that the fish was under the 21.5" slot limit.
Wow, a true walleye conservationist trying to save and protect the species
Old 09-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Wow, a true walleye conservationist trying to save and protect the species
I've heard a few rumors about this. Be interesting to know how this all shakes out.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:38 PM

Wow!!! That makes me sick. What a black eye for Tournament fishing. I hope this guy gets the book through at him.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 PM

name the name, a bit of shame probably wouldnt hurt
Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
Wow!!! That makes me sick. What a black eye for Tournament fishing. I hope this guy gets the book through at him.
Cheating isn't really a tournament thing regardless of sport its a character thing.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:24 AM

I always wondered how many fish end up eating a bunch of lead shot after they are netted.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM

Put a price on our wildlife, whether through contests or outfitting never ends well. People sink money into a passion, and suddenly they feel entitled to a return.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Put a price on our wildlife, whether through contests or outfitting never ends well. People sink money into a passion, and suddenly they feel entitled to a return.
Your really bent out of shape about money involved in sports eh? What about pro sports does that keep you up at night as well?
Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM

I wondered how long it would be before certain members here tried to turn this into an anti-tournament fishing thread. Sadly, it wasn't long.

I'll never understand why people are so willing to throw entire groups of people under bus simply due to the actions of the very few. As long as of course, it fits with their agenda, and it's not them being targeted.

It's an anti-cheating thread - nothing more, nothing less. It's really unfortunate that we as outdoorsmen often tend to be our own worst enemies...
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Your really bent out of shape about money involved in sports eh? What about pro sports does that keep you up at night as well?
Fishing and hunting are not sports.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I wondered how long it would be before certain members here tried to turn this into an anti-tournament fishing thread. Sadly, it wasn't long.

I'll never understand why people are so willing to throw entire groups of people under bus simply due to the actions of the very few. As long as of course, it fits with their agenda, and it's not them being targeted.

It's an anti-cheating thread - nothing more, nothing less. It's really unfortunate that we as outdoorsmen often tend to be our own worst enemies...
Why is there cheating, money.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I am more disgusted by how the cheating was done - causing an injury to the fish by cutting its tail fin is way worse than for example using some illegal technique to catch it in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Why is there cheating, money.
Why is there poaching?

Why do people speed?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
preach brother!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

There are members on here who are constantly "throwing entire groups" under the bus whether it is something hunting, shooting or fishing. The anti hunting, shooting and fishing members on here is unfortunately growing all the time.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 PM

I sport-fish all the time, sport-hunting to me would be skeet or trap shooting?

Of course there is sport fishing.

I believe every fish caught then released is sport-fishing, but I may be wrong.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-28-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I sport-fish all the time, sport-hunting to me would be skeet or trap shooting?

Of course there is sport fishing.

I believe every fish caught then released is sport-fishing, but I may be wrong.
Well - you be the judge...

sport
spôrt
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighROI View Post
Well - you be the judge...

sport
spôrt
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Sport fishing
Noun
Fishing done with rod and reel for sport or recreation

Old 09-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
It is if there is a competition and money involved.....and then out come the cheaters.....just like any other sport.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-29-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well said
Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM

SPORT - "An activity involving physical exertion and skill"
Well if you consider walking a river for 5 km up and down stream and casting lures or flies not physical then maybe try a river with bigger banks and more trees and rocks. As far as the entertainment part goes, just watch someone try pulling their best lures out from a snag or the rookie (me) getting their best fly out of a tree branch on the back cast Now that's entertainment
Sport hunting would be a great competition if we gave the animals weapons . HA HA Feel free to dis me I love it
And yes the cheating thing goes on and on in what ever you participate in. Years ago (30) fishing derby out at Mcgregor Lake guy got caught bringing a fish from Traverse and weighing it in. Don't know how he got caught but I was at that tourny (what a $h!t show) when he got his as$ tossed. CHEATER
Gambling to me is not a sport but it's on TSN
Old 09-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
Yes I herd the guy was from Alberta.
Yes , he is from Alberta , Cold Lake Alberta , Ryan Johnson
He was the team captain

Supposedly , last year at same tournament in Saskatchewan, some fish were brought in that were oversized , so this year they were really checking fish good

Also , the story going around is they were watching for him this year , they say he was disqualified and sent home last year in same tournament 2017 for being caught in a out of bounds area ,

More will come of this yet
Everyone is Hearing That he has life time ban from Saskatchewan walleye tournaments ,

Word is getting around , wonder what should be done about the Alberta walleye tournaments , should he be banned also from them
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
An angler from northern AB (whose name I won't post publicly) tried to weigh in a fish at the Last Mountain Fall Classic that had clearly been "mangled". The tail fin was cut so that the fish was under the 21.5" slot limit. The angler was DQ'd on the spot and sent home.

That's all I know.
the tourneys that I have been in for walleye in Alberta, the fish is measured and that length is then converted into a weight. it does not matter if the fish is skinny or fat or has lead in its belly. that alone stops a lot of cheaters.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
Yes , he is from Alberta , Cold Lake Alberta , Ryan Johnson
He was the team captain

Supposedly , last year at same tournament in Saskatchewan, some fish were brought in that were oversized , so this year they were really checking fish good

Also , the story going around is they were watching for him this year , they say he was disqualified and sent home last year in same tournament 2017 for being caught in a out of bounds area ,

More will come of this yet
Everyone is Hearing That he has life time ban from Saskatchewan walleye tournaments ,

Word is getting around , wonder what should be done about the Alberta walleye tournaments , should he be banned also from them
Better have your fact before posting stuff, Was Ryan DQ or was he cheating, Has the tournament saying he was DQ or Cheating?? Before making decisions contact the trail and hear what there reasons were,
Closed Thread