Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Fish Finders / Best Bang for The Buck?

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm trying to justify a few upgrades...

My boat is older, a 1995 Legend to be exact. It still running the original electronics (Hummingbird) and honestly if the bow mount hadn't met an untimely fate it would still be in use. However, since I'm in the process of upgrading my bow-mount I'm wondering what would be the best depth finder for around $500? Around meaning less than or more than by about $100-$150. I'm attracted to the Garmin Striker but I've not seen a lot of fisherman using these units.

TL;DR - best depth finder for five hundred bucks...
Old 09-30-2018, 07:10 PM

The answers you will get is the same as who makes the best pickup truck.

In my experience at the lower price point they all have basic units but try to get a 5 inch with gps at least and has a map card slot.
This allows you to utilize maps, mark spots and if 5 inch it will be horizontal giving you more viewable screen overall and allow you to see the screen better if you you split it and run 2.
Try running a split screen with one of the small vertical units and you need a magnifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If it isn't obvious by now, I'm trying to justify a few upgrades...

My boat is older, a 1995 Legend to be exact. It still running the original electronics (Hummingbird) and honestly if the bow mount hadn't met an untimely fate it would still be in use. However, since I'm in the process of upgrading my bow-mount I'm wondering what would be the best depth finder for around $500? Around meaning less than or more than by about $100-$150. I'm attracted to the Garmin Striker but I've not seen a lot of fisherman using these units.

TL;DR - best depth finder for five hundred bucks...
Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM

Ive got a Garmin Stryker 3. For the money it’s great but compared to a more capable unit it’s definitely lacking.

I bought it mostly for ice fishing, so I can test the depth before drilling a hole and it’s great for that. I ended up getting a good deal on a boat this summer so I transferred the Stryker over to it.

The maps are non existent, it just has a GPS waypoint marker so you can save your favourite spots. I generally fish places I already know and just use the fish finder to find bottom depth and occasionally cover, so for me it’s good enough for now.

Edit: I should say I paid less than $200 new for the unit and the travel kit with a battery so you could probably get quite a bit more for $500
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Raymarine dragonfly is excellent bang for your buck

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Helix!
Old 10-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Go to a couple stores or check a couple online sites. Find the fish finder section and find the units in your price range. The main brands are Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin and each only have a handful of units in that price range.

Once you have the potential models figured out look up the details on their websites. In that price range you will be looking at a 5 inch screen with semi advanced capability (almost everything except side imaging) or a 7 inch screen with basic capabilities.

The main things to research and learn about are GPS(an obvious thing that you should want), navionics card(gives you basic inaccurate maps), map creation ability(ability to create accurate maps) and down imaging(type of sonar that allows you to determine structure more easily). Each company does each of these things slightly differently so read up on each and decide which might be best for what you want.

Once you know what units have the capabilities you want then you will likely have your potential choices slimmed down to 2 or maybe 3 options. At that time you can decide based on what you think is the best deal or of if you want ask for more clarification on the advantages of one unit over another. Too hard to give you much more information at this time because everyone treats fish finders different and the best one depends on how you are going to use it.