Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 08:44 AM

Default Rifle Stocks Options - sporter vs vertical grip

I've used/owned mostly "sporter" style stocks for hunting. Recently I have spend more time with my Manners EH1, which has more of vertical grip and palm swell, which I find very comfortable.

Is there anyone making a stock what would be a good balance between a sporter stock and something like my EH1? It would be for hunting.

Wildcat KS Tac Hunter has caught my eye and looks like it may be an good option? Any other suggestions or feedback on the Wildcat KS Tac Hunter?

I am looking to replace my Winchester Extreme Weather stock for something i little different. So ideally it would be for a model 70 but curious for it and Remington 700 clones also.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:09 AM

McMillan has many models. pricey, but high quality, many options including weight.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:10 AM

I have shot a couple of rifles with Wildcat stocks and like them.
I am not a fan of a stock with an extreme vertical grip, especially on a hunting rifle.
My best shooting is done with a stock with a grip tgat is likely around 45 degrees or so, I would have to measure it to be sure.
What I do know is tgat a vertical grip puts too much pressure on my wrist .
Hold your hand down at your side naturally, then without moving your wrist, raise your arm up to your line of sight.
That is the angle a look for , be it with my long bow with my left hand or a rifle with my right hand
Cat
Old 05-02-2024, 09:20 AM

I’ve held and shot a couple rifles with the Wildcat you’ve mentioned and I do like it. I have a few Gamescouts from McM and like them a lot. Waiting on my new stock to arrive from Greyboe. I believe it’s an Eagle Pro or something. Has a bit of a hybridized grip between that of a sporter and vertical grip. I gambled as it was on sale and hope I like it. Time will tell.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:05 AM

At least the Wildcat doesn't involve the border, for what it costs you to try it out, you could order one as a sample to try out with the caveat you may return it, even if he doesn't have one in stock in the inlet you want, just as a tryout stock. That way you get to look at it as well and see if that is a stock you want or not.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:12 AM

I like Wildcat but if you are looking for another option, take a look at the Boyds Thumbhole stocks. Nice compromise between vertical and sporter angles. Very comfortable to shoot. I have a few on Varmint guns, work really well for long distance and are fairly light.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Last edited by Dean2; 05-02-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:54 PM

You could look at Greyboe. They’re nice, but pricey.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:00 PM

This is a Wildcat Composite stock on my M700 .30-06. I have an identical Wildcat on a M700 .338WM.
These stocks were done, glass-bedded for me by K&S Arms like 30 years ago?

I love them, but truth is I couldn't tell you what model they are, just Wildcat Composites.

They are just solid well built nothing fancy awesome hunting stocks.
Plain Jane, if 'fancy' is your thing look elsewhere.
If function matters, then they will fill the ticket.

The M700 .338WM.

"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-02-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I like Wildcat but if you are looking for another option, take a look at the Boyds Thumbhole stocks. Nice compromise between vertical and sporter angles. Very comfortable to shoot. I have a few on Varmint guns, work really well for long distance and are fairly light.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

For comfort and far less felt ecoil, IMO one can't beat these thumbhole stocks.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
McMillan has many models. pricey, but high quality, many options including weight.
I've had a Mcmillan Game Scout a while ago, and liked it alot.

Since Bob took over the designs look like they have changed a lot. Very Vertical grip, very aggressive negative combs...great for prone long range stuff but I'm not sure thats what I am looking for for this rifle.

I am happy they still have the the "original" Game Scout and Game Warden.

Game scout is an option.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have shot a couple of rifles with Wildcat stocks and like them.
I am not a fan of a stock with an extreme vertical grip, especially on a hunting rifle.
My best shooting is done with a stock with a grip tgat is likely around 45 degrees or so, I would have to measure it to be sure.
What I do know is tgat a vertical grip puts too much pressure on my wrist .
Hold your hand down at your side naturally, then without moving your wrist, raise your arm up to your line of sight.
That is the angle a look for , be it with my long bow with my left hand or a rifle with my right hand
Cat
"Hold your hand down at your side naturally, then without moving your wrist, raise your arm up to your line of sight.
That is the angle a look for , be it with my long bow with my left hand or a rifle with my right hand"

Great Tip! When I do that I would have to lower (increase my wrist angle) to place on my sporter stock.
I shoot bows... in fact I am going to take my Jack Kempf bow in the field this season, in honour of him!
Old 05-02-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Bell & Carlson seem to fit me and I have one McMillan. I just love that stock, it fits me as good as any I've ever shot. I ever do a custom build, I would have to be talked out of a McMillan.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-02-2024, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
The Bell & Carlson seem to fit me and I have one McMillan. I just love that stock, it fits me as good as any I've ever shot. I ever do a custom build, I would have to be talked out of a McMillan.
What McMillian Model is it?
Old 05-02-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
What McMillian Model is it?
Don't know, I bought it used. Has the roll-over Monte Carlo cheekpiece which I thought would be a bit much but I really like the stock. It's very light, yet balanced as good as any I've ever handled.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I have used the BDL pattern McMillan on five custom rifles.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Now you know what this dimwit is sitting in the office doing Wife just thinks it's another piece of my cranium that I've donated to AO

Old 05-03-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Now you know what this dimwit is sitting in the office doing Wife just thinks it's another piece of my cranium that I've donated to AO

Cat
Old 05-03-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
"Hold your hand down at your side naturally, then without moving your wrist, raise your arm up to your line of sight.
That is the angle a look for , be it with my long bow with my left hand or a rifle with my right hand"

Great Tip! When I do that I would have to lower (increase my wrist angle) to place on my sporter stock.
I shoot bows... in fact I am going to take my Jack Kempf bow in the field this season, in honour of him!
High wrist positions were all the rage in archery at one time, especially with compound shooters.
However, the wrist is much stronger in its natural position , as proven in the martial arts .
You may also note that with your Kempf, when you raise your arm, your wrist/ hand orientation is about the perfect position for your bow cant so your arrow sits directly under your line of sight!!
Cat