Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Sharing Meat!

Hey AO, wondering what you guys have done in the past, or what you would do in a situation if you were put in it in terms of sharing meat amongst your hunting partner. Say for example two people go hunting for bull elk in a general zone that is super far away from where you live, the one person shoots the bull but that the other person called in, the shooter takes all the meat and the antlers etc etc, would you guys share the meat equally? Split it right down the middle? Both persons helped pack the elk 8ish hours out of the bush approximately in my mind it would only make sense. Especially if you both were only able to take one bull between the two of you the whole time you were on the trip? Have you guys ever had a problem like this?

I know someone who had this problem recently, and it was like pulling teeth to get even a little bit of meat shared. Waddya think???

SHARING IS CARING
Old 10-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Deal on sharing of meat, expenses and work loads should be established up front if the two are not long term partners. We have always gone with the split is equally deal for meat, work and expenses, shooter claims the trophy, but that is not the way everyone does it, particularly on one of hunts with another person or guided type hunts.

It also makes a difference if one person has the tag, is doing the hunting and the other is just along for the fun of being there. There are many things that go into the decision as to how meat gets shared out.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM

My personal opinion is that everyone is there for the outdoors and for the adventure of the hunt but if you do end up getting something then it's a bonus. Whoever helps fairly with getting on an animal and helps pack it out equally should get an equal part in the harvest. It could easily be the other way around and after all your hard work and effort it's nice to have a bit of a reward along with the great hunt. I also give my friends (who wernt on the hunt) who help me make sausage a share in the sausage since it's alot of work. And in the end it's always nice to hear back how awesome the sausage you made was or the elk steaks that you all harvested on the trip.

That's just my .02
Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_beeks View Post
Hey AO, wondering what you guys have done in the past, or what you would do in a situation if you were put in it in terms of sharing meat amongst your hunting partner. Say for example two people go hunting for bull elk in a general zone that is super far away from where you live, the one person shoots the bull but that the other person called in, the shooter takes all the meat and the antlers etc etc, would you guys share the meat equally? Split it right down the middle? Both persons helped pack the elk 8ish hours out of the bush approximately in my mind it would only make sense. Especially if you both were only able to take one bull between the two of you the whole time you were on the trip? Have you guys ever had a problem like this?

I know someone who had this problem recently, and it was like pulling teeth to get even a little bit of meat shared. Waddya think???

SHARING IS CARING
My own policy is that with moose and elk the meat gets split down the middle, with deer I don't expect the meat to be shared. If that is an expectation of my partner it would have to be discussed prior to the hunt. I also don't expect my partner to help me drag said deer off of whatever ridge I shot it on, though its deffinatly a nice gesture and the decent thing to do. If I ever had a partner refuse to help with a moose or elk they would be hitch hiking home.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 AM

That's something that should be figured out before the hunt.

I know I don't expect any meat if I'm out with someone hunting.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta View Post
That's something that should be figured out before the hunt.

I know I don't expect any meat if I'm out with someone hunting.
If half a moose comes out on my back then I expect half a moose.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Default sharing meat

Should go without saying that the guy who has the tag and pulls the trigger, gets the trophy.
Apart from the trophy, it would depend on the work share, as to how the meat is split.
We have seen all different scenarios: Three guys out hunting, two who actually go out morning and evening, busting their butts looking for game, while the third is taking it easy, sleeping in "on holidays". Luckily, Mr. Holiday decided to pack up and leave a day early, before we actually had an elk on the ground Easy two-way split.
Three guys hunting start to finish, only two available to help with all the cut and wrap of a bull moose; The two guys get choice on the cuts, the third guy gets a lesser share of balance!
Three guys helping out, start to finish= three way split as even as possible.

I would say these scenarios are the norm. We used to even do a talley on all the fuel expenses, groceries, etc. and divvy up any left-overs after the hunt. Now (since all parties are somewhat more financially established) it is simply an honor system that everyone help out where they can.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM

I only hunt with good friends, and family, and everyone shares the work, the expenses, and everyone shares the meat equally. If someone doesn't want to do their share, or pay their share, they never hunt with us again.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Gone Hunting

I heard a guy can fish with nearly anyone, but it's tough to find a good hunting partner that you want to hunt with.,
Here's how i handle this issue.

I make a point of being very clear on how things are done before the trip , so that there are no misunderstanding later. This is very important.

I don't care who shoots what, and I really don't. I'm as happy when one of the group shoots something as if I shot it. I also do not care where they shoot it. In a swamp, on a hill, 50 feet from the trail. Of course I prefer the easier packs, but I will step up and pack it out.

So when we plan the trip. I make sure everyone understands, we split all the costs and we share in all the work and we share in all the meat.

Everyone helps with cut /wrap or shares the cost of commercial butcher.

Now of course there has to be some common sense involved. The 70 year old guy with the bad back isn't expected to hump a 70 lb backboard 3 miles to camp.

If one guy supplies the truck, trailer, horses or boat and the others show up with their bugout bags and guns, then the guy with all the gear pays no expenses.

We had one guy pay all the fuel, the camp cook shopped and paid for the groceries and basic booze, and one guy paid for all the restaurant meals on the road.

Receipts for everything were kept. Total trip costs figured and divided. Some owed more than they had spent and some less, but all paid the same in the end.

On a trip early in my career, a co worked whined to come along with my partner and I. We finally agreed and he showed up late to leave wearing a brown suede coat with a sheepskin lining and big collar of sheepskin. He also wore cowboy boots and packed his thutty-thutty.

We were hunting the mountains in B.C.

I shot a deer that trip, he wouldn't even touch it to field dress it, hold a leg, or load in the truck, even though he had supplied many families with winter meat from his many deer kills.
When it came time to cut and wrap, he was of course a no show. I mentioned his share of expenses a few times with no funds forth coming, just an inquiry as to the status and whereabouts of his share of the meat.

He had a New Year's Eve party with a bunch of friends and the crew from work.

He and his wife met us at the door. After the howdies and the handshakes I said ' Here's your box of venison and we should settle up for the hunting trip before I forget again."

He looked like Tom Mulcair His wife gave him "the look" and asked what he did with the money she had given him to settle up. She gave me a check. He got his box of deer neck roasts and shank steaks and blood shot burger.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-11-2015, 12:11 PM

I agree with Redfrog.

All of this should be clearly discussed, and rediscussed BEFORE the hunt begins.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I only hunt with good friends, and family, and everyone shares the work, the expenses, and everyone shares the meat equally. If someone doesn't want to do their share, or pay their share, they never hunt with us again.
We roll the same way, if someone wasn't in on the hunt but assists with the cutting we share that too....

For instance my brother maybe can't hunt because of a young family but if he helps with cutting day then he gets a share.

LC
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 PM

We dont generally share deer. usually more than enough to go around. Elk or moose tho its usually a quarter your choice, front or back Can be more depending the work involved. Don't have much use for cheap skates tho. Most of the time i wont take it when its offered or will take a much smaller portion. But if you dont offer or or try and make excuses and i worked my butt off to help you get it. You will never get my help again
Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We roll the same way, if someone wasn't in on the hunt but assists with the cutting we share that too....

For instance my brother maybe can't hunt because of a young family but if he helps with cutting day then he gets a share.

LC

I gave a moose quarter to a man and his son that came along as we had just finished cleaning and quartering two moose. They were not asked, but they helped us get all eight quarters to my truck, and loaded, and then brought their truck over to haul the heads out of the field, and to our motel. We appreciated the help, and they appreciated the meat.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 PM

If an instance such as the one described happened to me, that guy would forever be hunting/packing out on his damn back alone
Old 10-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Our whole party shares what we get, regardless
We tend yo share and help in every other way as well , be it helping with guns, ammo , vehicles , butchering , etc
It's all part of the hunt, and it is the way we roll.
Don't want to help, that's fine, but you will be hunting with others .
Cat
Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Banned

I am happy to share the meat and only hunt with guys that are the same.

Same as 2 guys in a boat, if only 1 guy catches fish both enjoy shore lunch.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM

In our camp, if you've made it as far a being invited to hunt by myself or any one of the hunting party, you will know all meat will be split equally among family groups. Example my son is 18 but still lives at home so the two of us make 1 share of the split (moose and elk). Does it matter how far other party members have travelled for said hunt? Nope. Cost of playing the game. Shooter has full right to hide and horns but group as a whole will decide how meat is processed. Thru a butcher everyone splits costs. This year we harvested 2 moose up north. Two of us live in Stony Plain and one near High River. Had access to a friends cooler and shop for butchering, also near High River. So the two Stony boys will go down to HR to do our own butchering. For the cost of a tank of fuel is there anything here to squabble about? If you or others you know think this unfair you (or they) should consider hunting alone. Period. I for one enjoy the "what's mine is ours" theory. The laughter is usually a lot louder around our campfire or woodstove.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Hunting is a recreation for me these days , and I enjoy sharing everything with my friends old and new to going so far as to help new friends out if I can in any way by way of equipment or even information .
It's nice to see it reciprocated as well, even if it is something as little as getting first peak at successful hunting pics from their hunt , that in itself shows their appreciation !
Cat
Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

My hunting partner has shot two this year, I haven't shot one as of yet. The first one, I was not with him. The second one I was. No meat from Deer 1 coming to me but there is from deer 2. If we are together, we split the meat as we will both be doing the work, no matter the animal that was harvested. But the "trophy" of the animal, in my mind, always belongs to the shooter.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 PM

For me, a lot depends on the situation. If I am hunting with a couple other guys and one shoots something that doesn't require much effort to extract, the meat is his. I don't mind doing some skinning or quartering, and want nothing for it. If I'm expected to pack meat on my back for any distance, thats a different story...

I always prefer to hunt by myself, but sometimes its just more convenient to go with one or two other guys, just for travel expenses on longer trips. I don't generally hunt with anyone once we get there, they go to one spot and I go to another. I'm prepared to handle whatever I shoot on my own, although if help is offered I won't turn it down. If they end up with nothing I'll offer some meat, but certainly don't feel obligated to give someone half because they held a leg.

I suppose for people who hunt with a group of the same people every year, it might make sense to just divide everything evenly. That sort of thing doesn't really appeal to me but I know lots of people enjoy it so they probably have a different perspective. I hunt with one or two other guys sometimes if we are going far, but we hunt alone and get together at lunch or the end of the day to discuss how it went. If someone gets something, I go and lend a hand because we're friends, not for a share of the meat.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Discuss prior, some guys like meat some dont.

Clear communication people
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 PM

Default Sharing meat

If ypthe same hunting party only goes out once a year on one hunt then I'd say share it. My buddies an I all hunt individually and together sometimes all over the place and we all have multiple chances at getting meat. We help each other pack it out and the shooter gets it all but buys a nice supper. Next time someone drops an animal were all there to help pack it out again, and the shooter keeps the meat and buys supper.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM

If I hunt with someone and I realize there worried about meat I give most of it to him,but that's the last time he hunts with me.

If i go out hunting with someone everything is split an even share,we know this ahead of time without even discussing it.In the past 20 years I hunt solo and still give away 70 percent,lotsa hamburger everyone seems to like that.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
If I hunt with someone and I realize there worried about meat I give most of it to him,but that's the last time he hunts with me.

If i go out hunting with someone everything is split an even share,we know this ahead of time without even discussing it.In the past 20 years I hunt solo and still give away 70 percent,lotsa hamburger everyone seems to like that.
I also give away 50% or more meat, shoot too much and cant eat it all. Albsolutely hate to waste.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:42 PM

Nobody ever got into trouble by over-communicating. In my party we all keep our own deer, but typically split elk or moose. I've been hunting with the same guy since jr high. His kids are young men, and my boy is with us now too. His sons regularly invite their buddies. I don't share a moose I wait five years for with the hanger-ons that I had no say in inviting.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:10 AM

We usually split meat depending who is successful.
Also depends on if someone who wasn't successfully will be getting out again.
I'd hate to be successful on my trip and have to split my elk 5 ways only to have the others get their elk the following weeks and I'm not there.
It just really depends and it's the same group of guys so in the end its usually balences out and if not at the end of the season I'll usually send them home with a couple grocery bags full.

Tags
2015, bull, elk, meat, sharing