Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 PM

Default upper/lower K lakes help

Which lake is better. what lure is good . What spot is worth trying. What kind of fish other than bull,rain, and cuts?
Sorry have so much questions, no info about this lake.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Why not go out to the lakes and finding out the old fashion way. Try fishing the lakes and using multiple lures and or spinners to find out what is working on that particular day.

No one is going to start giving away spots or technics on their favorite lake any time soon So get out and discover. That is what fishing is all about.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:31 PM

In my experience both Lakes are good for different reasons; lower lake is harder to fish but the fish are bigger, upper lake easier to catch more fish but typically they are smaller.

I have better luck with fly fishing on these two lakes and the successful flies will very throughout the year. For bulls think big and white.

As for spots to try a good place to start is any place out of the wind particularly on the upper you can often see the fish if the water is still.

Rainbows bulls and cuts are the only sport fish in the two lakes, however they do have suckers.

I should note these two lakes can take some work and time to become successful but the reward in my opinion is huge.

The bull is on the upper lake in February and rainbow was on the lower this may
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 051978.jpg (160.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 PM

Default Its called fishing not catching

If you want to get technical on fishing, get a book from the library. There isn't enough space here to get into details. If you want to keep it simple then trolling with gear is your best option. A row/paddle boat will do fine. if you aren't successful in 15 minutes vary your depth, then your lure. With gear, shinny trumps over colour in lake that clear. Classic lures are my favorite, but new ones are good too. Remember most are designed to catch fishermen, not fish... so talk to someone when buying.

Look for structure, which you can find by looking at toppo maps of the lakes. Along drop offs is usually a great spot. Food is also created in shallow area, and near river mouths. Look for fish flopping, that is a sign that they are feeding in that area.

Honestly, read a book on still water fishing. Get one from the library. These techniques will work; but, if you don't know why it worked then the its hard to reproduce your success.

Good luck. Enjoy the view and a beer and it will be worth the time even if you don't catch a fish.