Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Camp stove

Not sure if this is the right spot for this.
I am looking for a camp stove to put in my pack while hunting. I am looking at the Etekcity stove. It seems good but i am looking for recommendations from people who have used one lots.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 07:44 PM

Jet boil, all in one thats all you will need
Old 03-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Soto windmaster and any 800 ml titanium or aluminum pot.
Gives you enough water for a mountain house and a cup of coffee or tea.
And half the weight of a jetboil.
Mine never leaves my pack.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 PM

I use those cheap small stoves for my Outdoor Education students. They work great and for the price, they can’t be beat. I personally use a jet-boil because I love how everything just fits together. Nothing better than boiling water for coffee and just grabbing the whole unit and pouring a cup. So stable on rocks and quick to boil. 15 seconds and it’s all packed away, ready to move on.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Jetboil!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 AM
Banned

Jetboil is all you need
Old 03-10-2019, 07:01 AM

I have a MSR and it's a great little stove also.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Not in a position to give advice on these type of stoves, I am in the market for one myself. I still use a 25+ year old MSR Whisperlight that is fine for the overnight hunting trips I have done so far - it fits into my cup and weight not an issue for me on shorter hunts.

This next season I am going on a 5 day hunt and have been considering one of these cheapo ultralights:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NNMF70U/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I would question melting a heavy pot of snow with this thing, but boiling a mug of water for mountain house or coffee may work well.

Will be watching this thread closely!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Msr reactor or jetboil are the best options
Msr dragonfly and others are nice to cook on ( fry grouse)
When buying cooking pots or pans I like to use the titanium ones are pretty much indestructible, but you have to always plant to use them on an open fire so don’t buy ones with plastic handles or hinges or lids. When your stove craps out way back in the bush and you need to heat water and your pot handle Melts off it’s unfortunate.

Last edited by raw outdoors; 03-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM

I have 2 titanium jet boils, we carry one or 2 each trip, and I have the titanium hot ash stove,( burns wood) at 14 oz it' s a great option also
Old 03-10-2019, 03:03 PM

MSR Winder Burner
MSR Pocket Rocket
Jetboil Flash
SoTo Micro Regulator

Any of those... job done
Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM

I use a MSR Pocket Rocket with a titanium pot 90 percent of the time, Sheep hunting partner runs a Jet boil. They are both great. The only issues are when temperatures are getting well below freezing and the gas canisters start to loose their ompf. Then I dig out my old MSR Whisperlite International that runs on white gas.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM

20+ years have used to whisperlite MSR for me I see no reason to change good luck in finding the stove that works for.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
20+ years have used to whisperlite MSR for me I see no reason to change good luck in finding the stove that works for.
I have the same. Recently got a jet boil. LOVE the jet boil.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:58 PM

I have a MSR Whisperlite I bought in about 1985. Never did camp with it. Fired it up once or twice just to test it, that is it. Been thinking of selling it, but then this thread makes me think, emergency stove for the truck?

Probably never use it.

$50 for stove and tank about right?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I have a MSR Whisperlite I bought in about 1985. Never did camp with it. Fired it up once or twice just to test it, that is it. Been thinking of selling it, but then this thread makes me think, emergency stove for the truck?

Probably never use it.

I think that is about what you could get for it, but would not think it was worth selling. It really is a great stove and for an emergency truck stove would be perfect or for a backpacking stove for winter use or with a group... for that matter, it is not that heavy and packs small enough for any use really.

One thing is you may want to check seals and plunger cup to make sure they are not dried out. This is an easy and inexpensive repair with readily available parts.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post

One thing is you may want to check seals and plunger cup to make sure they are not dried out. This is an easy and inexpensive repair with readily available parts.
x2 very important.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post

Probably never use it.

I have both the Whisperlite and the Whisperlite international and they are great stoves. My only complaint is they don't simmer that well if your frying something on low heat. Even used the basic Whisperlite can still sell for over $100. They make great emergency stoves for the truck. Spend the $20 for the maintenance kit and your set for life. Each of my stoves has a kit in the bag but Ive never had to use them yet. Just a little mineral oil each year is all they ask. The only O rings I have ever replaced are on the stopper for the fuel bottles.
In fact I probably owe my life to the International I keep in the truck. Extremely high winds, whiteout conditions and heavy wet snow meant no fire for 3 days.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 PM

This thread caught my interest as my stove is over 20 years old. It's a Coleman single burner, pressure pump. It has works great but not as slick as some of the new offerings.

I like the looks and function of the Jet boils, they look stable and I like how they all fit into the cup/bowl...slick design. What Jetboils are the best in their line up? Looking at Flash and MicroMo. Any other suggestions in their current or past offerings?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:05 PM

If your looking for a jet boil, and plan to go backing then look for a titanium pot, they are not made now, but Im sure you might be able to find one now.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM

I have used the etekcity for a few years. It's good. I'm sure it's not as good as a jet boil but it boils water fine. Ignitor seems to get misaligned often but it's fine. Fits in the riorand pot with a fuel can. Bob's your uncle. I have 50 or more uses out of mine
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Default The definitive guide to camp stoves

Here's a bit from my experience. I have used and owned all of these, and still have them. If I could only pick one stove, it would be my MSR Whisperlite International, which I have owned and used for over 20 years in Canada & across Europe, and have run on both white gas & gasoline.

3 Basic Stove Types:

1. Liquid petroleum (white gas, gasoline, ets.)
2. Compressed gas stoves (propane & butane cartridges, etc.)
3. Alcohol Fuel Stoves (methanol)

Liquid Petrol (Ie. Whisperlite)
-most expensive to buy ($100 or more)
-cheap to operate (especially on gasoline)
-perform well in the cold (can pressurize cold fuel bottles manually)
-medium difficulty to operate (priming is necessary)
-field maintainable
-over longer greater than 4-5 days these are the lightest stove/fuel combos to carry

Compressed Gas Stove
(Ie. Pocket Rocket)
-middle cost to to buy (~$30-$50 for name brand)
-most expensive to operate (catridges cost $7-12 per bottle in Canada)
-do not perform well in cold (cartridge pressure is reduced and cannot be changed)
-simplest to operate
-not field maintainable (carry a 2nd ignition source! I have rescued a few people with the lighter in my pocket because their igniter quit)
-heaviest stove/fuel combo to carry but at around 4-5 day trips these are about the same weight as alcohol & white gas stoves.

Alcohol Stove (Ie. Trangia, Vargo Triad or home-made "Fancy Feast" Stove)
-middle cost to buy (~$50), but can be made for free (literally) from cat food or tuna tin
-cheapest to operate (stove can be made for free, a gallon of methanol (paint thinner) costs 8 buck at Canadian Tire
-some can perform well in cold (especially with wicks - homemade version is the "SuperCat")
-can be tricky to operate
-nothing to maintain in the field, extremely simple design
-lightest overnight-trip combination, but since the fuel-energy density is less than white gas or gasoline for more than 3 days a liquid fuel stove/fuel combo works out to be lighter to carry

Figure out what you want it for, and buy what works for you. If you want simple convenience get a canister stove. If you are an ultralight packer buy and learn how to operate an MSR. If you like building things yourself try a Fancy Feast stove, because they are super light for overnights and kind of fun (it's basically a homemade fondue burner).

So there you go.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post

-field maintainable
-over longer greater than 4-5 days these are the lightest stove/fuel combos to carry
So there you go.
Awesome info, thanks. How much fuel are you budgeting per day?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Awesome info, thanks. How much fuel are you budgeting per day?
Personally I find about 100ml per day per person is plenty. Years ago i read an article saying 200ml/pp/pday but I found that is way too much, and ended carrying out about a litre of fuel on an 8 day trip.

I actually did the math a few years back, including the weight of canisters/cartridges and that is where I came out with the 4-5 day limit.

Here is a good list of energy-density for different fuels: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/f...ues-d_169.html

It also matters if you use a windscreen, and how much heat is transferred to the food/pot instead of going up to the sky. That is where the Jetboil excels, I believe. At that point it feels like spitting hairs, though.

The main thing for me is reliability, and comfort with using the stove I have. So whatever you end up with, practice with it, get comfortable with it, and be sure you can work it really bad weather conditions like a rainstorm/snow storm or sub-freezing temps.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Personally I find about 100ml per day per person is plenty. Years ago i read an article saying 200ml/pp/pday but I found that is way too much, and ended carrying out about a litre of fuel on an 8 day trip.

I actually did the math a few years back, including the weight of canisters/cartridges and that is where I came out with the 4-5 day limit.

Here is a good list of energy-density for different fuels: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/f...ues-d_169.html

It also matters if you use a windscreen, and how much heat is transferred to the food/pot instead of going up to the sky. That is where the Jetboil excels, I believe. At that point it feels like spitting hairs, though.

The main thing for me is reliability, and comfort with using the stove I have. So whatever you end up with, practice with it, get comfortable with it, and be sure you can work it really bad weather conditions like a rainstorm/snow storm or sub-freezing temps.
That’s great information Sir. I’ve had a whisperlite for years but didn’t realize it was lightest option on longer trips. Never really sat down and figured it out. I’ll be using it on longer trips again.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
This thread caught my interest as my stove is over 20 years old. It's a Coleman single burner, pressure pump. It has works great but not as slick as some of the new offerings.

I like the looks and function of the Jet boils, they look stable and I like how they all fit into the cup/bowl...slick design. What Jetboils are the best in their line up? Looking at Flash and MicroMo. Any other suggestions in their current or past offerings?
I used to love my coleman single burner and it’s still going strong after um... 35 years? I surprised Coleman didn’t use that platform with a separate pressurized bottle like MSR did. The Coleman burns hot and simmers well, it’s easy (ish) on gas, just a fantastic stove if it didn’t have that heavy tank.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM

Not so sure that is the lightest option.
A whisperlite is getting 136 min per 20oz of fuel.
A Soto is getting 135 min on 21oz of fuel including canisters.
A Soto is 2.5 oz and whisperlite is 11.5oz

Jetboil flash is very similar specs but is 13 oz.

Unless you are in extreme cold where the liquid gas stove has the advantage there is Lighter options.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Not so sure that is the lightest option.
A whisperlite is getting 136 min per 20oz of fuel.
A Soto is getting 135 min on 21oz of fuel including canisters.
A Soto is 2.5 oz and whisperlite is 11.5oz

Jetboil flash is very similar specs but is 13 oz.

Unless you are in extreme cold where the liquid gas stove has the advantage there is Lighter options.
Ya, I am one of the whisperlite fans and I am still considering getting a small canister stove to use for 2-3 day solo overnights or packing for daytrips were I want to have a coffee in the woods.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Here's a bit from my experience. I have used and owned all of these, and still have them. If I could only pick one stove, it would be my MSR Whisperlite International, which I have owned and used for over 20 years in Canada & across Europe, and have run on both white gas & gasoline.

3 Basic Stove Types:

1. Liquid petroleum (white gas, gasoline, ets.)
2. Compressed gas stoves (propane & butane cartridges, etc.)
3. Alcohol Fuel Stoves (methanol)

-field maintainable

Compressed Gas Stove
(Ie. Pocket Rocket)
-middle cost to to buy (~$30-$50 for name brand)
-most expensive to operate (catridges cost $7-12 per bottle in Canada)
-do not perform well in cold (cartridge pressure is reduced and cannot be changed)
-simplest to operate
-not field maintainable (carry a 2nd ignition source! I have rescued a few people with the lighter in my pocket because their igniter quit)
-heaviest stove/fuel combo to carry but at around 4-5 day trips these are about the same weight as alcohol & white gas stoves.

Alcohol Stove (Ie. Trangia, Vargo Triad or home-made "Fancy Feast" Stove)
-middle cost to buy (~$50), but can be made for free (literally) from cat food or tuna tin
-cheapest to operate (stove can be made for free, a gallon of methanol (paint thinner) costs 8 buck at Canadian Tire
-some can perform well in cold (especially with wicks - homemade version is the "SuperCat")
-can be tricky to operate
-nothing to maintain in the field, extremely simple design
-lightest overnight-trip combination, but since the fuel-energy density is less than white gas or gasoline for more than 3 days a liquid fuel stove/fuel combo works out to be lighter to carry

Figure out what you want it for, and buy what works for you. If you want simple convenience get a canister stove. If you are an ultralight packer buy and learn how to operate an MSR. If you like building things yourself try a Fancy Feast stove, because they are super light for overnights and kind of fun (it's basically a homemade fondue burner).

So there you go.

^^

This fella knows what he's talking about. Good summary.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Do you mean that canister stoves are heavier than white gas once you get to around 4-5 days as the increased weight of multiple canisters out weighs the increased weight of a white gas stove? Just wanted to check as it reads the opposite of that to me.