Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 03:37 PM

Default Block heater in a ATV

Looking to put a block heater on my Can Am commander side by side

Looking for any suggestions on what to get and install tips from guys that have done it

Thanks
Old 10-29-2020, 03:55 PM

I don't think there is any space for a block heater on these engines. You could install an inline coolant heater though, which is even better. The other alternative is one of those stick on oil pan heaters.

Use lighter oil in the winter and charge your battery and she should start just fine though. Not sure one really needs a heater of any kind for those machines.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 PM

I just use a magnetic temporary type. Princess auto sells them for around 20$ iirc. just stick it on and plug it in when needed. I keep the quad covered with a quad cover and trickle charge the battery with an IQ charger when temps are below -15. Most times even in -25/30 the quad starts right up. Occasionally I'll have to put a small electric heater under the cover for a few hours
Old 10-29-2020, 08:10 PM

Small in car heater pointed at the engine ? I've done that with air compressors.

Grizz
Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I just use a magnetic temporary type. Princess auto sells them for around 20$ iirc. just stick it on and plug it in when needed. I keep the quad covered with a quad cover and trickle charge the battery with an IQ charger when temps are below -15. Most times even in -25/30 the quad starts right up. Occasionally I'll have to put a small electric heater under the cover for a few hours
^^^ this Used it on my snow blower
Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM

Being the cheap ba$+ard I am, I've been known to use a hair dryer on the intake.

It actually works - started a 12.1 L Paccar last week with one 'borrowed' from the hotel room.

Colin
Old 10-29-2020, 08:32 PM

Default Baby, its cold outside

I have put an infra red brooder bulb towards the block and a packing blanket over the quad to warm it up in really cold temps. Nowhere to stick a magnetic heater on my CanAm, its aluminum.
x2 on the AMSOIL SAE 0 weight syn oil
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 PM

A 1” inline should work fine. Put it close to the engine and not the rad. I had one on a Yamaha Rhino and currently one on my Polaris General. They are about $60 at Canadian tire. If you have enough room between the engine and skid plate, the adhesive pad heater would also work great.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I have put an infra red brooder bulb towards the block and a packing blanket over the quad to warm it up in really cold temps. Nowhere to stick a magnetic heater on my CanAm, its aluminum.
x2 on the AMSOIL SAE 0 weight syn oil
A more expensive option to the magnetic type is the stick on pad the sold at most parts dealers. Basically a thin rubber sticky pad...comes on all different shapes / sizes. Being a stock on pad it can.be put on anything

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/u..._BwE#store=344

A broader heater would work well to
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Default Block heater in a ATV

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
A 1” inline should work fine. Put it close to the engine and not the rad. I had one on a Yamaha Rhino and currently one on my Polaris General. They are about $60 at Canadian tire. If you have enough room between the engine and skid plate, the adhesive pad heater would also work great.

Yep this right here. I have this exact heater on my 650 CanAm and a buddy uses same one on a 700 Arctic Cat Mud Pro. They sure do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 09:19 AM

Glycol heater good if you have power. In bush 'can of ether' will start any machine in any weather.
Never leave home without it.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Yep this right here. I have this exact heater on my 650 CanAm and a buddy uses same one on a 700 Arctic Cat Mud Pro. They sure do the trick.

These work great! Use my quad a lot in the winter for work and it needs to start every time. I found having it up on the sled Deck of the truck would freeze it solid after driving down the highways when its -30. I wired in a power inverter into the back of the truck and plug this heater in as well as a trickle charger and haven't had any issues since. I also installed the largest battery I could possibly fit and run synthetic lighter weigh oil in the winter.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Glycol heater good if you have power. In bush 'can of ether' will start any machine in any weather.
Never leave home without it.
Dear Sir,

The proper term for starting fluid is "pillow talk". It gets her engine running, if you know what I mean.

Drewski
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 AM

Are you already running full synthetic oil? I found that it made a huge difference in cold starting with my atvs.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post

Do you just install this on the coolant line?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Do you just install this on the coolant line?

Yes just cut your hose and install this. Just need a couple hose clamps. Good time to change out your antifreeze as well. Make sure to tie into bottom rad hose. If my quad wasnt an hour away at a buddies place I would send u pictures.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Banned

These work great
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/u..._BwE#store=449