Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default Finally

Been so long since ive been on here i forgot the archey section ..i posted it in hunting ..lol.. took this bull yesterday Calgary bowzone ..hunted the zone for 35 yeara and taken some nice deer but this is my first elk . Thanx to a good friend who gives me access and my son KBF for all his help.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2020, 09:05 AM
coxy95's Avatar
coxy95 coxy95 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 229
Default

Congrats on the beauty bull!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2020, 10:02 AM
Dom4 Dom4 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 549
Default

Congratulations on the awesome animal which looks like you will be eating nice for the next while. Also with all the years of experience in the zone and now to get your first elk I am nearly positive that many on here would love to hear the story behind how you got this guy.

Anyhow congrats again on an awesome bull! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:40 PM
magoonpointboy's Avatar
magoonpointboy magoonpointboy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary Area
Posts: 257
Default

Wow! What a beauty. Well done!
__________________
Proud member of the Boom and Crockpot and Poke and Yum Clubs - Eating tomorrow's trophies today.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 7,642
Default

Nicely done! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 PM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
Congratulations on the awesome animal which looks like you will be eating nice for the next while. Also with all the years of experience in the zone and now to get your first elk I am nearly positive that many on here would love to hear the story behind how you got this guy.

Anyhow congrats again on an awesome bull! Thanks for sharing.
Long story about the stalk , 6 hrs to be exact..39 in the herd were feeding down the edge of a stubble field nezt to the trees. I tried to get around them but couldn't and when i caught up to them they were bedded in the open . I settled back into the tees on a logpile to wait them out and see what would happen. An hr into the wait a few got up and fed back into the trees around me ..slowly the herd got up and went past at distances of 10 ft to 40 yds , bull got to 60 yds..29 made it past until they hit my wind then ran back past me and rebedded in the field ..i was frustrated to say the least but with elk atill within 80 yds i stayed put ..4hrs I sat there and finally i could here more elk to my right but still out of sight .. now 6:15 pm and this new bunch start passing to right to left in the field at 98 yds ,and im hoping maybe something will swing close enough to the trees for a shot .There are over 100 in this herd and the next couple bunches are closer,76 yds and now some at 40 including the bull ive been watching all afternoon .He is slightly further and as i get ready to draw i catch movement to my right.. a cow and a calf at about 20 ft !!
Great !! Its over i thought ,but she looks briefly at me and heads out to the field . By now 60 + have filed by and as the bull clears the screen of trees in front of me i draw and hold for 45 yds and release ..my arrow hits him perfect and passes thru ..he takes off in a death run thru all those cows and they scatter and watch him hit the fence and crash 150yds away ... I am exhausted and slowly make my way back to the truck . After a quick supper we retrieve him and dress and hang him ...cant say enough about the little slicktrick 100 gr broadheads, clipped a rib going in and passed thru with only a 55# bow ....35 years in the making and well worth the wait


Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Dom4 Dom4 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Long story about the stalk , 6 hrs to be exact..39 in the herd were feeding down the edge of a stubble field nezt to the trees. I tried to get around them but couldn't and when i caught up to them they were bedded in the open . I settled back into the tees on a logpile to wait them out and see what would happen. An hr into the wait a few got up and fed back into the trees around me ..slowly the herd got up and went past at distances of 10 ft to 40 yds , bull got to 60 yds..29 made it past until they hit my wind then ran back past me and rebedded in the field ..i was frustrated to say the least but with elk atill within 80 yds i stayed put ..4hrs I sat there and finally i could here more elk to my right but still out of sight .. now 6:15 pm and this new bunch start passing to right to left in the field at 98 yds ,and im hoping maybe something will swing close enough to the trees for a shot .There are over 100 in this herd and the next couple bunches are closer,76 yds and now some at 40 including the bull ive been watching all afternoon .He is slightly further and as i get ready to draw i catch movement to my right.. a cow and a calf at about 20 ft !!
Great !! Its over i thought ,but she looks briefly at me and heads out to the field . By now 60 + have filed by and as the bull clears the screen of trees in front of me i draw and hold for 45 yds and release ..my arrow hits him perfect and passes thru ..he takes off in a death run thru all those cows and they scatter and watch him hit the fence and crash 150yds away ... I am exhausted and slowly make my way back to the truck . After a quick supper we retrieve him and dress and hang him ...cant say enough about the little slicktrick 100 gr broadheads, clipped a rib going in and passed thru with only a 55# bow ....35 years in the making and well worth the wait


Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the story I really appreciate hearing about other peoples firsts! I have never tagged an elk myself although being close many times I really look forward to the day and this is some more awesome motivation.

Also some of my hunting partners just got some slick tricks and is excited to use them. Do you mind me asking if you used a fixed blade or a mechanical broadheads?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2020, 08:31 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

100 gr magnum fixed 4 blade ..flys like a field point.
A client I guided,Gus Congemi of " Live the wildlife Tv " got me started with them about 10 years ago . He had taken lots of game with them including his world record Kodiak .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM
lmtada's Avatar
lmtada lmtada is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,392
Default

Congrats. Nice Bull, Lot of Patience. 🍻🍺
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Supergrit Supergrit is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 747
Default

Nice bull amazing story and patience. Congrats
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Prdtrgttr's Avatar
Prdtrgttr Prdtrgttr is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 748
Thumbs up

Congrats on a great bull, a great shot and a great story. Love the patience of sitting and waiting so long. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM
beansgunsghandi beansgunsghandi is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 459
Default

Well done! Appreciate the story.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2020, 12:18 PM
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 678
Default

Big congrats on a great bull. Not an easy critter to put an arrow through that is for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2020, 12:24 PM
jayquiver jayquiver is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort McMurray
Posts: 576
Default

well done. The fence even helped you out, saved you a few steps. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-2020, 09:19 PM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
well done. The fence even helped you out, saved you a few steps. lol.
Thanx , no doubt the fence helped in retrieval ..some thick stuff ahead on his intended route.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-28-2020, 10:02 PM
cbc_anderson cbc_anderson is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 71
Default

Way to wait 'em out! Such a cool experience to be among the herd for most of the day and then finally get an opportunity to take the bull you were hoping for all along. Well done, Cam!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-29-2020, 08:50 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Yes it was special and dont think i will ever top it .. ive heard lots of elk vocalizing but some different sounds then ever before . I just about used my tag on the cow that hung around for so long at 20 yds but aure glad i didnt . Ill be headed back in a couple weeks for whitetail and you can bet I will relive it all again . My buddy checked the camera that was close to my ambush spot and it show a final look at my bull a few hrs before i got my shot ..time is wrong on pic IMG_2527.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 27,292
Default

Awesome man! Good work!

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Bigwoodsman Bigwoodsman is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,901
Default

Congrats on a fine bull, and a great hunt!

BW
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-29-2020, 10:45 PM
Zip Zip is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Golf course back yard and lake in front yard
Posts: 3,808
Default

Nicely done...that big bull didnít know who he was up against, thatís a good hunt with a fantastic ending..congrats and I appreciate the sharing of your story and great pics..Awesome
Zip
__________________
"Never be ashamed of scars it just simply means that you were stronger than what tried to hurt you"

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-30-2020, 08:16 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Nicely done...that big bull didnít know who he was up against, thatís a good hunt with a fantastic ending..congrats and I appreciate the sharing of your story and great pics..Awesome

Zip
Maybe he did know and thats why he stayed that close and taunted me all afternoon ..lol..thanx for the compliment ..my only regret is not wearing my go pro .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM
The Fisherman Guy's Avatar
The Fisherman Guy The Fisherman Guy is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,772
Default

Congratulations on a fine Bow Zone Bull sir! Very well done.
__________________
IG: @gibsontilley
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-31-2020, 09:40 AM
marlin1's Avatar
marlin1 marlin1 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,897
Default

congrats on the bull
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Knotter's Avatar
Knotter Knotter is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 826
Default Well Done!

Great story. Congratulations on a bow kill of a lifetime.
__________________
Don't believe everything you think.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-03-2020, 07:47 PM
EagleEyes EagleEyes is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 104
Default

Congrats on a great bull. Really enjoyed reading your story.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:26 PM
gramps73's Avatar
gramps73 gramps73 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,136
Default

Congrats.
thats a great bull.
__________________
Avatar by Gitrdun
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:38 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 17,866
Thumbs up

I'm exhausted just imagining your ordeal to get a fine animal like you did...well done!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Bonescreek's Avatar
Bonescreek Bonescreek is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,268
Default

Really nice bull.

Thank you for posting.

Magnificent animal, I'ld put that head on my wall.

What a great day!

Thank you again.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-06-2020, 07:48 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I'm exhausted just imagining your ordeal to get a fine animal like you did...well done!
I have hunted a lot of years but this truly was my most enjoyable hunt ...yes I was spent when it was over but well worth it ..In fact I passed a slightly larger bull in exactly the same spot about 5 years ago..the herd was bedded same location and i sneaked into position and had him at 35 yds . My friend had been after this bull for the entire season and wasnt going to be able to hunt for the next 2 years and had 3 weeks left in the season..when the opportunity for a good shot came I drew then let down and let it pass in hopss that my bud would get a go at him . As luck would have it he shot a much larger bull a week later ..lol.. karma i tell myself about this hunt of mine

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-06-2020, 07:49 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
Really nice bull.



Thank you for posting.



Magnificent animal, I'ld put that head on my wall.



What a great day!



Thank you again.
Cant afford a shoulder mount but he is ready for the wall

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.