Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Dewitts Pond

Hey everyone

Its been a long time since posting but i thought i would share some information that i found out about this pond.

Went to the pond with a friend of mine to kill a few hours and there was a guy fishing next to us and in the water he had a black net sitting in the water. About 30 min goes by and he starts to pack up his gear ..When he pulled up the net it was FULL..Before i asked any questions...POOF there was a officer there hiding in the grass..When the guy saw the officer he dumped the rest back into the pond.Now here is the messed up part. While the officer is going through his gear he pulls out the fish he kept and calls me over and asks if the net was full of these fish..I said yes....They were carp..and not little guys ..The officer told me to catch as many as i want and take them..Someone has illegal has put them in there and Fishing wild life didn't know..So i thought i would share this with everyone.

Happy Fishing
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM

We're building a house very close to De Witt's in Airdrie. If this is true, I am not happy about it unless they are grass carp. I was looking forward to morning walks down the road to catch some bows before work. I'm actually surprised it doesn't just winter kill every year.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
We're building a house very close to De Witt's in Airdrie. If this is true, I am not happy about it unless they are grass carp. I was looking forward to morning walks down the road to catch some bows before work. I'm actually surprised it doesn't just winter kill every year.
Someone is spreading Prussian carp because the miss them after leaving their motherland. I can't see anyone born and raised in Canada wanting to destroy our fisheries with non native invasive species. Please check with the officer and post any update on charges. There has been a massive wide spread release of these fish now. It seems far to quick to be an accident.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Someone is spreading Prussian carp because the miss them after leaving their motherland. I can't see anyone born and raised in Canada wanting to destroy our fisheries with non native invasive species. Please check with the officer and post any update on charges. There has been a massive wide spread release of these fish now. It seems far to quick to be an accident.
Where are these native to? Are these the Carp they fish in the UK?. I've been seeing reports of these things in the Bow and other rivers too...unreal.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Where are these native to? Are these the Carp they fish in the UK?. I've been seeing reports of these things in the Bow and other rivers too...unreal.
http://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlife..._8-14-2012.pdf

Central Europe to into Russia.

Scary...some diseases and parasites could of been brought with them. Now they could be established in our province. I have not heard of anyone studying that issue.

Native non game species are now at risk. Sport fish will be out competed for food in the Red Deer, Bow River and all South Saskatchewan systems. North Saskatchewan will see them sooner than later either through more idiots introducing them or population spread downstream to the Saskatchewan River main stem.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

dude , this really ****es me off. as much as I hate fishing dewitts I feel like taking an electric zapper and net all the fish in there.

people seriously need to report the bucket brigades and the cops need to add jail time and max fines right away.

sp far I have heard of six different places where Carp has been found including the bow river.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:26 AM

Default DeWitt's Pond, May 13, 2016

This thread is near 2 years old.......
I was out at DeWitt;s Pond yesterday May 13, 2016 and I could not believe what I was witnessing.

There were six new Canadians using those real long fishing rods and catching carp. They did not keep the small rainbows only the carp.
The fellow beside me brought in 20 of these carp in a matter of an hour. He was using a whole wheat flour thick paste on about a #14 hook. The carp were 3"-5" long.

He would set the hook out about 20' from shore with a bobber.

He said they eat them and some people will bury them in the garden. When they are rotted they fertilize their plants.

I will call the Airdrie Hunting and Fishing Association today to inform them the trash cans are all full and the idiots simply toss their trash on the ground.

I had only one bag with me so I filled it with trash but there is a lot left to be removed.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 AM

Maybe we can try this to get rid of them?
http://www.popsci.com/australia-plan...rp-with-herpes
Old 05-14-2016, 07:50 AM

I also noticed, European style carp fishing in the pond behind the home depot in Tuscany Had a bit of a giggle, but now that I hear about this perhaps they know something i don't, perhaps someone put some carp in there.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:09 AM

i hit there was there a few weeks ago trying to test this out and sure enough we caught over a hundred all 4-5inches. then the following week went back and couldn't find them. don't know much about these carps. i spoke to an asian fellow very nice guy, and asked how they cook them or what they do with them and he replied they make soup out of them and given to women who have just given birth. i'm not sure how this all works but sounds interesting. i would have fillet and deep fried them.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Saw an Osprey hovering over that pond the other day, guess I know why...little to close to the river for my comfort!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
This thread is near 2 years old.......
I was out at DeWitt;s Pond yesterday May 13, 2016 and I could not believe what I was witnessing.

There were six new Canadians using those real long fishing rods and catching carp. They did not keep the small rainbows only the carp.
The fellow beside me brought in 20 of these carp in a matter of an hour. He was using a whole wheat flour thick paste on about a #14 hook. The carp were 3"-5" long.

He would set the hook out about 20' from shore with a bobber.

He said they eat them and some people will bury them in the garden. When they are rotted they fertilize their plants.

I will call the Airdrie Hunting and Fishing Association today to inform them the trash cans are all full and the idiots simply toss their trash on the ground.

I had only one bag with me so I filled it with trash but there is a lot left to be removed.
I am with the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association. Thanks for mentioning the full trash cans. We'll get someone out to empty them as soon as possible.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWO View Post
I am with the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association. Thanks for mentioning the full trash cans. We'll get someone out to empty them as soon as possible.
Thanks KWO......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 PM

Dewitt pond is riddled with these, mostly tiny couple of inches, this one was a bit bigger. Such a shame. I wish they were easier to catch (with a fly) so i could actively try to cull some... they should really electroshock this pond and start clean
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 AM

So, how did these Prussian Carp get to be in canada in the first place and in these trout ponds. Can't see them swimming over here from eastern Europe/Russia nor see anyone hauling them here in their suitcase. How did they get here?