Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
So, how did these Prussian Carp get to be in canada in the first place and in these trout ponds. Can't see them swimming over here from eastern Europe/Russia nor see anyone hauling them here in their suitcase. How did they get here?

My response to the same question asked last year in the McGregor Prussian carp thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
That's what I find odd about this.. The only ever record of importation to North America happened in 1876, imported to New York State from Germany. They did not naturalize, nor were there any reports whatsoever of this specimen until 2006 when they magically appeared in Alberta; the first ever confirmed case of Prussian Carp in North American waters.

It's widely beleived that they were in a private dugout/pond that flooded and spilled into the river, as they were detected one year after the floods of '05

So how did they get into that dugout in the first place? Smuggled in a water jug in someone's luggage from an overseas flight? That would be my guess

The ones showing up in trout ponds like Dewitts are obviously by people that are illegally stocking them, to expand their range essentially. But how they got here in the first place remains the million (billion?) dollar question
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Any tips for catching these guys on a fly?

Was there yesterday night. There were lots of mosquitos and mayflies (I think) hatching. I saw tons of these little carp jumping. Wasn't able to entice any with a fly (tried a different patterns). Anyone have some tips?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin View Post
Was there yesterday night. There were lots of mosquitos and mayflies (I think) hatching. I saw tons of these little carp jumping. Wasn't able to entice any with a fly (tried a different patterns). Anyone have some tips?
Your best bet is a small hook or jig with bait under a small slip bobber.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Your best bet is a small hook or jig with bait under a small slip bobber.
This ^
Old 05-16-2018, 10:35 PM

Talking

Thanks guys! Was hoping to get some practice casting the fly rod but maybe next time I'll bring my spinning set up too! I think the carp would make good fertilizer for the veggie garden at home
Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The ones showing up in trout ponds like Dewitts are obviously by people that are illegally stocking them, to expand their range essentially. But how they got here in the first place remains the million (billion?) dollar question
Well, I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on someone purposely trying to expand the prussion carp range,,, there are other species of carp that get larger and are more popular for angling or eating which would make sense to introduce if you are missing "old world" carp.

Prussion carp, however, are in the same family as goldfish and I suspect many have been sold as "pet goldfish". All too often people buying goldfish as pets tire of them, but don't have the heart or gumption to destroy them (you know it might traumatize the kids), so they release them into a local pond so that "Nemo" can now live a long natural life. As "well intentioned' as their actions are, it shows an ignorance and obliviousness to the potential harm such actions can create to aquatic ecosystems.

There are many documented cases of introductions of unwanted harmful species all around the world becuz of irresponsible pet owners releasing their pets live into the environment rather than destroying them.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
if using a dry try moving it, and if that doesn't work try a nymph or small leech under an indicator

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Well, I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on someone purposely trying to expand the prussion carp range,,, there are other species of carp that get larger and are more popular for angling or eating which would make sense to introduce if you are missing "old world" carp.

Prussion carp, however, are in the same family as goldfish and I suspect many have been sold as "pet goldfish". All too often people buying goldfish as pets tire of them, but don't have the heart or gumption to destroy them (you know it might traumatize the kids), so they release them into a local pond so that "Nemo" can now live a long natural life. As "well intentioned' as their actions are, it shows an ignorance and obliviousness to the potential harm such actions can create to aquatic ecosystems.

There are many documented cases of introductions of unwanted harmful species all around the world becuz of irresponsible pet owners releasing their pets live into the environment rather than destroying them.

Other than Grass Carp which don’t reproduce, you’d have to go out of province to find the larger carp such as Common Carp. Prussian Carp are the only carp available, thats why they’re being illegally stocked.

Prussian Carp and Goldfish are two different species. However, virtually indistinguishable without DNA testing to ID. They would have had to have been sent from overseas and sold here as “goldfish.”
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Prussian Carp and Goldfish are two different species. However, virtually indistinguishable without DNA testing to ID. They would have had to have been sent from overseas and sold here as “goldfish.”
Yes,,,, that is the very likely the way Prussian carp got into Alberta given the difficulty in distinguishing between common goldfish and prussion carp.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Small size 12 hook with bread paste.... thats the secret... now don't tell anyone... basic recipes on Internet don't need anything fancy, less is more. Fly fishing for carp not as successful.
Spin fishing or pole fishing (Asian style )When placing bobber on line the hook should be near the bottom. Use a weight on hook to determine water depth and adjust bobber accordingly. Use pea size paste on hook, now the paste should slowly dissolve off so if u have a thin pencil bobber or float I should say.. u should be able to see the float rise up when bait is gone. I normally have 2 lines attached to 3 way swivel, one 8 in and one 10 in or whatever. Carp don't bite the hook, they nibble nibble so it's takes the right timing to set the hook.

Last edited by Willowayin; 05-20-2018 at 07:51 AM.