Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Default Severn dam fishing/camping

Anybody fished Severn Dam recently? I’ve never been before and am thinking about heading out for a couple days this week. I see there’s free camping so may do a 1 or 2 night solo trip out there. I have a couple questions, first off I’ve heard mixed reports in the quality of the fish. I’ve heard from some that they may not be safe to eat. If I’m camping I’m hoping to get a couple for a nice grill over the fire. The second question I have is is it a safe spot to solo camp in a tent? Looks pretty deserted and open in the photos and just want to make sure I’d be safe sleeping alone out there. Thanks all.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 AM

I haven't had the chance to get out there yet this year but I have eaten the fish and seem to be good, I'm no picky eater. Maybe the algae bloom scares people?? I caught fish during the bloom and ate them.
Camping solo in tent is fine, only a handful of campers, peaceful, quiet, or u could be the only one out there, happens to me a few times but i sleep in truck, faster teardown but i love the solitude. It can be windy at times, hope u have some sort of shade canopy too.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 AM

The fish are fine to eat. A buddy has caught a couple of small rainbows this year.

Dodger.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:29 AM

I don’t think your allowed to camp overnight, but I could be wrong. I’ve seen small trailers there a couple times, and maybe people stay overnight despite the rules. If your concerned I think WID owns it, and maybe Wheatland County could tell you.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Lot's of people camp out overnight and some even longer. Not a big issue. If it gets windy make sure your tent is staked down good. Have a great time.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys

Tags
camping, dam, severn, stocked, trout