Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 PM

Default Mexico Fishing Trip - Excellent

Hi Everybody,

I just thought I would give a recommendation for anyone that is interested in going fishing in Cancun for cheap and get results! I just got back Wednesday night from Cancun and had the chance to jump on a shared fishing charter for 4 hours on Saturday.

I had researched a bit prior to going and decided on "Fishing Tours Cancun". They provide a shared option for deep sea fishing that is unbeatable in my opinion. I paid $100US for 4 hours and that includes beers, pops and water. The Captain and Guide were amazing, they also guarantee fish for each person or your money back. The day that I went, there were only 2 other people on the boat but they got so sea sick they didn't fish as much. I caught 2 large Amberjacks and reeled in a third one so the other guy could deal with his sea sickness over the edge of the boat.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I truly had a good time and I am "paying it forward" as I was a fishing guide in Northern SK for 2 summers while in college and can appreciate how hard they worked and how good they are.

So if anyone is heading to Cancun and looking to go fishing on a budget I recommend you try book with Capt. George on the boat "Tatian", he has over 30 years experience. Also, 4hrs private charter is $325 and you can have 6 people, so its reasonable.

http://www.fishingtourscancun.com/index.html

Pics of the Catch.

Chris' Fish.JPG

Day's Catch.JPG
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Pretty awesome looking fish! Nice to see some good things being said about good service! How'd they taste??
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Default Fishing

I didn't actually get to taste them, mostly because they said that these type of fish aren't good for eating and I left the fish with them so they could make money where they could by selling them. I ate alot of fish down there, but Amberjacks were never on the menu...Grouper and Mahi Mahi mostly.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 AM

Nice fish! Congrats

I betcha it was quite the workout to pull those Amberjack in. I remember fishing Port Canaveral Florida last summer and I caught my personal best sized fish a 30lb Amberjack and then a 25lb Amberjack. Boy, when I hooked one of those things it felt like I hooked a submarine and I would be pinned to the side of the boat while line was peeling off of the reel!

After battling each of those fish, I would have to rest somewhere for at least half an hour to recover.

BTW I've tasted Amberjack and they taste awesome for the first bit, but after I while I did start getting sick of the taste.

I would also like to mention that many of the Amberjack over 25lbs seem to have worms in the meat.Yuck

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 AM

Congrats on the fishing. Looks like it was a great time.
I always have a good time fishing Cancun.
Where abouts in Cancun was this charter out of?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM

The guide did actually mention that these fish get worms too, thanks for confirming that!

I really wish I had got to weigh these fish, they definately were a good fight, I have caught big lake trout before and these fish are in a totally different league! They were heavy and my arms were like rubber, I brought in the 3 fish within an hour, they were hitting back to back and the Captain is definately wanting the fish in quick so we can catch more. I am guessing the one was well over 40lbs, maybe closer to 50lbs and the second biggest around the 40lbs mark.

What are you guy's thoughts on how heavy they would be?

The fishing charter company is located on the lagoon side of the main hotel strip, its at the Barracuda Marina which is next to the Peurto Madero restaurant. I believe it is at km 14.5 of the Kukulcan Blvd.

Chris
Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 AM

$325 for 4 hours IMO is a tad high. Iv fished down there, and if u shop around you can usually get a boat for a full day (6ish hours) for $300 US.

That being said, as long as you are catching fish, the cost really at the end is a moot point.

Glad you had fun!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Wow nice catches Tikka!!

How far out did you go?

Thats a decent price...and you almost had the whole excursion by yourself too!

When I was in Tokyo I hired a charter and shared with 2 other peeps. Comes to about $100 US per person. No booze or food, but 5 hours just around the harbor catching sea bass. Totally worth it imo.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
$325 for 4 hours IMO is a tad high. Iv fished down there, and if u shop around you can usually get a boat for a full day (6ish hours) for $300 US.

That being said, as long as you are catching fish, the cost really at the end is a moot point.

Glad you had fun!
I have fished Cancun 4 times now, and have never seen a deal that good.
The last time I fished there, the boat cost us $700 for 8 hours. Included all the drinks, pickup, etc. That day we landed 11 Sailfish.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Very Nice!!!!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3-7mm View Post
The guide did actually mention that these fish get worms too, thanks for confirming that!

I really wish I had got to weigh these fish, they definately were a good fight, I have caught big lake trout before and these fish are in a totally different league! They were heavy and my arms were like rubber, I brought in the 3 fish within an hour, they were hitting back to back and the Captain is definately wanting the fish in quick so we can catch more. I am guessing the one was well over 40lbs, maybe closer to 50lbs and the second biggest around the 40lbs mark.

What are you guy's thoughts on how heavy they would be?

The fishing charter company is located on the lagoon side of the main hotel strip, its at the Barracuda Marina which is next to the Peurto Madero restaurant. I believe it is at km 14.5 of the Kukulcan Blvd.

Chris
that's who I went with as well...first class!!!!...we landed 4 sailfish 2 over 8 ' and who knows how many Amberjack....the Cap't. knows his stuff....the Amberjack hole he found is, IIRC, 35 miles offshore found it very reasonable as well for the 6 hr. deal....believe me, after 6 hrs. you are done!!!!!!