Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Im going to Winter Harbour in August with Leisure Suit Charters out of Port Mcneil. We've had great fishing the last couple of years.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM

We leave on the 10th for a 5 day trip to Peregrine Lodge, 6 of us are going for my Dad's 60th, Never been to the Charlottes CAN NOT SLEEP.. going to be a long 2 week wait.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Peregrine is a real nice lodge. You will enjoy yourself for sure! Never heard of Leisure Suite until now...Look for our 27ft Grady out there drake and give a wave...my dad may be out there with the Grady with guests, or maybe out of Hardy...wherever the best fishing is.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM

Just got back from Langara! Wow we had a fun trip. Chinook are running a little late this year so I am probably moving my group trip later by a week.

Biggest Chinook caught on the trip was 41 lbs. Biggest Halibut was 55 lbs. Biggest Ling cod 46 lbs.

Scenery sure is spectacular! I hope to have a few pics of the gang!

Cheers

Sun
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Port Hardy Chinook Fishing Heating up!

I was out on 3 trips last week, and I think we are in for good fishing this summer. The chinook fishing is hot right now, and we have been connecting at every spot I have tried. I pulled into Duval point on my way home on sunday, and hammered 3 smilies in the last 40 minutes of the day! Rumor on the street says we will also get a crack at sockeye this year, which is sweet because they still bite around Hardy, and we are also on the largest salmon migration route in BC - both inside and outside runs go by us! Can't beat that. Plus, we have been getting our limit of hali's while trolling salmon. On friday, I had to release a 70lb+ hali that took my anchovy (we were already limited out) - tough problem to have. Anyhow, tight lines to you all, summer is here!!
MK

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-26-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 PM

Talked to a couple of fellows that where up at Bella Bella this week. Thier report was hardly any boats out, no action.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM

has anyone heard anything out of rupert yet? heading out there first week in august dont know what to expect.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Skanks. In speaking with my guide last night, he said they had released over 35 yesterday on one boat. we will be there at the end of June.

Now I am just searching for a place to take my dear wife in the middle/end of July.
I was thinking I had never been to Hakai pass (OBMG) and that would give me the Grand slam of fishing places. But it might be a little early for that spot. Still though it sounds like a nice time to spend with my wife. Just her and I bobbing around in boat. We havent seen each other due to the busy family life we lead and I think it would be great to get to know my wife again.

Jamie
Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Great day on the water today...only a half day and still nailed them! Limit of nice Lingcod (some real beauties...perfect for getting a big filet), some beauty Snapper, then went off for 2hrs of salmon fishing...first 6 passes hit every 2nd pass, then the tide began to turn and starting an hr and a half before high tide BAM BAM BAM every pass, non stop...all in low to mid 20's which is good size for early June...since our primetime is July/Aug...couldn't keep them off. Have pics of the biggest Chinook and Ling! What a day...no, what a half day!!! For half a day...sure was amazing.

Jamie...Pursuit + Wife = Happy LOL

Here are the pics...

Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

I just picked up a SMOKIN deal with OBMG out of Hakai Pass. Turns out they must anchor the Marabell there in order to keep the lease they have and they are looking to fill the boat. My discount was basically 1/2 off.
This is all in from Vancouver and includes, flights, room, food, fishing, bait, gas.. EVERYTHING!!!

If anyone wants to go, please get in touch with me and I will see what I can do to help.
I am taking my wife on her first trip. It seems like the ideal set up. We will have covered boats and access to all the white beaches if she gets bored. Fish as much or as little as you want.
In all my trips I have taken, I have never been treated so well as I get treated at OBMG. I don’t say this lightly as I consider myself to have really high standards. These guys have yet to disappoint.

I have been on the MV Marabell before and I can assure you it is a nice set up. Food is great, staff is out of this world. Weather should be great, bring the suntan lotion!

Not sure what the Chinook fishing will be like but I am really looking forward to the COHO. We might be a week or so early for the Chinooks, but I am sure they will still be around.

Jamie
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Mid July should be good timing for Hakai...we are hot and heavy then and I know a big rivers inlet chinook run goes into rivers mid july...so that should be good timing. It's hit or miss there, but if you get there on the hit...bigggg Chinook to be caught!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Mid July should be good timing for Hakai...we are hot and heavy then and I know a big rivers inlet chinook run goes into rivers mid july...so that should be good timing. It's hit or miss there, but if you get there on the hit...bigggg Chinook to be caught!!!
Your right about the miss part at Rivers - to many misses for me there, Hardy, Winters Harbour and Tofino are my Fav's I think the Charlottes are over-rated and over-priced, anyone else ?....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Your right about the miss part at Rivers - to many misses for me there, Hardy, Winters Harbour and Tofino are my Fav's I think the Charlottes are over-rated and over-priced, anyone else ?....
Not over priced at all. In fact I think if you did your reasearch you would find most to be very comparable. Remember though Air fare is not cheap.

I just finished comparing one lodge in Prince Rupert to another on Vancouver Island. They were just about the exact same price. BUT it costs more to get to Rupert. BUT you would have to rent a car to get to the one on the island.

As for over rated.. Not so sure on that one. But I havent fished the island at all.

Next year though I want to take a hard look at Hardy.
I guess a good question would be this.
Does a guy have to really get off shore in order to catch the same quality and quantity. Most of the fishing I have seen up north has been close to land.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Jamie;

There is a lot of great fishing opportunities around the Island that a person can do inshore. I personally have not yet in 30 some years of going out to the coast ever had to head to the outside. Now sure there are years we probably could of done better on the outside but we have always been able to get our fish in close. And in some area's I have seen guys enjoy days of fishing in car toppers and do very well on big fish while doing it.

As far as the Charlotte's being as cheap as the Island,, sorry not even close. Now yes there are expensive Lodges on the Island but if you want to do it on a budget,, well you can do it on a budget on the Island you can't do it on a budget in the Charlotte's.

You can drive from Calgary or Edmonton in 14hrs to many a good place on the Island. You can be to Sooke from Calgary in a vehicle in 13hrs,( $300.00 gas return in a decent Vehicle) stay at a clean but yes budgeted motel ( $60.00/day) a couple guys book a charter ($650.00/day) split is $325.00 a piece do this for a 3 day trip which on a year like this is you will get plenty of fish and nice fish as well. Now add this up and tell me if this puts you in the Charlotte's.

Gas = $300.00
Motel = 4 nights @ 60.00/night = $240.00
3 day charter = $2200.00 with gratuities.
Stay at a kitchenettes and throw in $300.00 for grub.
Not going to add in fishing licenses cause you got to get those any place or booze if thats your thing cause thats never included in an exclusive either.

So we have a total of $3040.00 split it at least in half cause you gots to take a buddy you will be on a great fishing trip for 3 days for around $1500.00 !! again try this in the Charlotte's good luck.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 PM

12 hours til I leave... Our whole group has been walking around with sh*& eating grins for the last week. First time for any of us to the Charlottes.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Jamie;

There is a lot of great fishing opportunities around the Island that a person can do inshore. I personally have not yet in 30 some years of going out to the coast ever had to head to the outside. Now sure there are years we probably could of done better on the outside but we have always been able to get our fish in close. And in some area's I have seen guys enjoy days of fishing in car toppers and do very well on big fish while doing it.

As far as the Charlotte's being as cheap as the Island,, sorry not even close. Now yes there are expensive Lodges on the Island but if you want to do it on a budget,, well you can do it on a budget on the Island you can't do it on a budget in the Charlotte's.

You can drive from Calgary or Edmonton in 14hrs to many a good place on the Island. You can be to Sooke from Calgary in a vehicle in 13hrs,( $300.00 gas return in a decent Vehicle) stay at a clean but yes budgeted motel ( $60.00/day) a couple guys book a charter ($650.00/day) split is $325.00 a piece do this for a 3 day trip which on a year like this is you will get plenty of fish and nice fish as well. Now add this up and tell me if this puts you in the Charlotte's.

Gas = $300.00
Motel = 4 nights @ 60.00/night = $240.00
3 day charter = $2200.00 with gratuities.
Stay at a kitchenettes and throw in $300.00 for grub.
Not going to add in fishing licenses cause you got to get those any place or booze if thats your thing cause thats never included in an exclusive either.

So we have a total of $3040.00 split it at least in half cause you gots to take a buddy you will be on a great fishing trip for 3 days for around $1500.00 !! again try this in the Charlotte's good luck.
Walleyes. I have to disagree a bit. The only big difference I see in between the costs of fishing south and north are your transportation costs. Land bsed lodges are very comparable in price.

Take care
Jamie
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Was out today...HORRIBLE tides for bottomfishing, but still managed some nice ones. Took us awhile to find the salmon, but once we did, it was non stop action!!

Here are Ken's Lingcod and his salmon...he fileted mine before I could stop him for pictures!!!

23lbs

NICEEEE Lings
Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Well Jamie, I haven't been to Prince Rupert in Quite some time but they used to have a cable trolly up to the top of the lookout point. They had nice paths up there and a fantastic view of the town and ocean.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM

I should be fishing out of Rupert by next Sunday, I need some more fishing reports to tide me over until I can leave. PLEASE please infected salt water fisherman.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Fisher. PLEASE keep us informed of your trip.
We leave on June 29.
Who are you going with?
We will be with Salmon King Adventures, they have a lodge in Dodge cove (Digby Island)

You know, its been a really long day. I started off with a 2 hour Ball practise, I took at least 8 phone calls on the field, came home, sold 1 of my listings, sold a investment home, got a new client set up to see a condo, sold that condo. (I was to busy to show it, so Mom stepped in), and I just finished talking with a client for close to 2 hours (It's now 11:45). Thankfully I had my Brother to go pick up my Lawnmower and both he and dad went and picked up my new Smoker. All of this is happening while my dear wife is moving boxes to our new house and my Mom is throwing a BBQ for my Grandmas 78th B-Day. Not one of these deals is a "easy" one, all have issues that can be overcome, but it's going to take some serious string pulling to make it happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my work, but getting to come on here and think of being out on the water just makes me feel better. I relish that day in June when I get to shut my phone off, throw it in the Salt water and just sit back for a few days. No one can call, no issues to deal with, no fires to put out. Its just enough for me to "Sharpen" the axe and get back to it.

Please post up your stories and pics. It gives me a chance to escape.. Even if just for a few minutes. Lets see if I can start posting up some Salmon pics tomorrow.

Take care, I am off to bed.
And thanks for posting everything so far guys.

Jamie
Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 AM

Jamie...sounds like you are busy as hell selling stuff...at least you are doing well for yourself!! Gives you even more oppurtunity to get out and fish Am headed out on Monday or Tuesday...may even do an over nighter with a fellow Hardy guide and do some exploring. So will let you all know how it goes then...NEW BOAT ARRIVES HERE TOMORROW!! So for 2 days will be washing her and getting her all suited up for the season...guiding starts in 1 week!!!! Can't wait...some awesome reports coming out of the Charlottes right now (it's their primetime)...those fish should be hitting us down here in about 2-3 weeks....right as our primetime starts and we get busy as hell!!

Bottomfishing tides are HELL come next week though...18ft tides!! UN-effing-real!! Should move the salmon south real fast to us though.

David
Old 06-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Jamie I fish with my retired uncle who lives in Terrace,and has a 26ft Campion, we will probably fish Stevens island and Edy pass unless we hear some reel good reports from Dundas
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
I should be fishing out of Rupert by next Sunday, I need some more fishing reports to tide me over until I can leave. PLEASE please infected salt water fisherman.
We should be launching out of Rupert Sat/20. Going to spend 3 or 4 days on my boat around Dundas. Never been there, staying at Goose Bay I think
Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Buddy went out yesterday...killing them out there...I'm headed out on Tuesday assuming all goes well...Limits being caught, all in low 20's...big boys haven't showed up yet...but soon. 2 spots open for rest of summer...new deals on all inclsuive that are unreal.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

AWESOME THREAD!!! and some very nice pictures!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Just got back today from Peregrine lodge. WOW!!!
Day one my brother and I both caught 30# + fish. fought both of them in site of my Dad (he said it was the best birthday present he's had in a long time)
the biggest Chinook from the group was 41# and a 56# Hali (out of 35' of water on salmon gear)

4 days of glass like water and clear skies most of the time.
fishing in shirtsleeves is pretty rare up there this time of year
Our entire group limited out and released lots of 25# plus fish. Thre were even 6 Coho caught...

Time to start saving empties for next years trip...

Will post pics later...

Dan.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM

Fishing up in the Charlottes right now is super hot. Fishign down here is evensuper hot and its early...limits being caught of Chinook pretty much everyday, no giant size, but like I said its early, all between 15-30lbs. Fishing hasn't been this good this early for awhile...looks like an unreal year guys! Heading out again Thursday, then Saturday and then pretty much 6 1/2 days a week on average after that...will report back every day or couple days!! 20% off 2 dates in July right now...can't beat it

Also fish out of Winter Harbour and now have a spot where we hit 70-140lbs halibut non stop!!!! Plus 30-40lbs Lings like there is no tomorrow!! It's UNREAL!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

Well I just got a fantastic Email from my booking agent at OBMG. (we will be at Hakai pass July 17)

Take a read

Hi Jamie,

So, I was called down to the owners office yesterday. Big Bob was given a copy of the lovely email you sent. He was happy you were happy and asked if I needed anything in regards to your reservation. I said, “Yes, I need you to sign off on your room for them.” He did it and guess what?!!! You are now guaranteed to get his room. I’ll tell you, that almost NEVER happens so congrats!

And thanks again for your kind words.

Warmest regards,

Rayne Miller

Senior Reservation Agent

Oak Bay Marine Group

So instead of staying in a room that has 2 single beds only seperated by a small wash sink... I manged to get my wife the SUPER SUITE!! It has 2 captain beds, sitting table and a wet bar, along with plenty of room to dry your clothes. I was fortunate enough to spend one trip in that room. (Pure luck as our room apparently was having issues and they dont give out this room)

Big Bob also has asked that Heidi be well taken care off and to make sure she has absoulutly every thing she needs.

Now thats some nice service!!! Heck, nice doesnt even cut it. This is WAY WAY over the top.

Jamie
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 PM

That sounds sweet Jamie...if you don't catch one over 30lbs I will be shocked and saddened for you...especially considering how much you head out!! If you don't feel free to come up our way and you will nail some for sure

On another note, our 27ft Grady White just arrived here 3 days ago, after 2 days of extensive cleaning to get here looking like new, she looks unreal! Almost new!! Pretty much actually! In pristine condition...can't wait to get her out on the water.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

Great looking boat. Very comfy looking!!

You should put up some rails on the back end of that thing.
I will show you a pic of it when I get back in a few weeks. Its a great add on.

BIG BIG help to the guests.

As for a 30#.. Well with my luck my wife will catching all those.

Besides.. Its not the size of the fish, it's the adventure

(Well at least thats what I keep telling myself)

The Salmon fishing Gods are saveing me for something REALLY REALLY BIG!!
But It does look good this year.
Rupert in Late June/July then Hakai pass July 17. Rupert should be "SUPER" Prime time.. Hakai could be fantastic, hard to say.

Jamie