Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Default New Bow today

I picked up a new bow set up today. I ended up going with the Bowtech Assassin. I also got some arrows as well. I shot the bow a few times at the store. It was all set up at the store. I did not shoot my arrows though. I shot arrows they had and it was bang on. I shot 4 in a row and the arrows were basically touching each other. Now, I get home and shoot six of my arrows and they go left and high. Quite a bit left. Plus, all my nocks on my arrows were all twisted and not glued in. I could twist them, one even pulled out. Maybe a stupid question, but are the nocks not suppose to be glued in straight? Is this something I need to do? Plus, why is it shooting to the left so bad now? Should I be taking it back and getting something re-set up? Or is this something I should be able to figure out?

I had a bow years ago but it feels like I'm re-learning it all over again. I'm trying to read and research. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM

congrats on the new bow!
the nocks are just friction fit. they are supposed to twist and come out so you can easily replace them.
as for your eratic shots, the store should have set up your bow to your new arrows to your bow... not all arrows shoot alike. i would go back, or find a new shop that will help you and show you how to tune your bow and adjust to shoot properly

good luck
Old 10-08-2013, 04:59 AM

Sounds like the arrows you used in the store were spined correctly....sounds like the ones they sold you are not the correct spine for your setup.

The other thing is make sure the cock feather on your arrows is in the same place in relation to your nock....usually cock feather is straight up or straight out, depending on your rest setup will depend how to set your cock feather.

LC
Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Congrats on the new bow!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Congrats on the new bow as well. Try to move the sight pins to the arrow on the target.(up and left)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, I'm super excited about the bow. It's so smooth. I'm going to take it back today and ask the guy questions about the arrows. I think they are a little weak on the spines. I have been making sure the fletching was up as you suggest. After reading a few of the reviews, I have noticed that the experienced people with these bows have replaced the rest immediately. It's kind of a whisker biscuit type setup. I might get them to change that today. Do it right or don't do it at all...LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

The rest was the first thing to go on mine... It's not a Whisker Biscuit - but rather a Octane Hostage. The WB is a huge improvement over the Hostage IMO. Can't do better than a WB for hunting situations. I replaced the Hostage with a drop away the first season - drop away cut a hunting trip short due to failure. Tried a different drop away last year... same thing. Went to a WB this spring and won't ever go back on a hunting rig.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Congrats on the new bow and like your choice! I picked up an Assassin this year and replaced the rest the first time I went out shooting. The package rest is just terrible. I ended up going with the Ripcord Red I think it's called and absolutely love the rest and the bow. What weight did you end up going with? Mine is a 50-60#er ad I'm running it at the max 60. I'm a smaller guy and it's so easy and smooth to shoot that I can still shoot for 3 hours straight without getting tired out.

Best advice I can give you is make sure you get it tuned up properly and double check your spine strengths to the bows setup. Best of luck
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks! Love the bow, I ended up switching out the rest to a whisker biscuit yesterday. It's all sited in from 20 and 30 yards. It is just so smooth. I think the arrows I got are crap though. The fletchings are coming off when they hit my target. Glad I only bought 6 of them. 2 are done already. I'm set up for 66#. Factory it was 72# and I dialed it back a little. It's at max draw length. I'm really happy with the purchase.

I ended up buying it at Wholesale due to proximity of the store. Honestly, they were over the top great to deal with. They replaced my arrow that fletching came off. They set up the bow and were more than willing to adjust anything I needed. It was a great experience.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 AM

Congrads on the bow...and good choice on the rest LOL

Neil
Old 10-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Bring your bow to Jimbows and they will help you out.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Assassin

Great you feel you got a great deal and service at WSS. Now do your self a favor and take it into Jimbow's and let them save you a lot of time and aggravation in getting back into shooting a bow. What is done is done but the guys at Jimbow's will fix you up and you will quickly be happy as the rest of us with your new Assassin.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_hopper View Post
Thanks! Love the bow, I ended up switching out the rest to a whisker biscuit yesterday. It's all sited in from 20 and 30 yards. It is just so smooth. I think the arrows I got are crap though. The fletchings are coming off when they hit my target. Glad I only bought 6 of them. 2 are done already. I'm set up for 66#. Factory it was 72# and I dialed it back a little. It's at max draw length. I'm really happy with the purchase.

I ended up buying it at Wholesale due to proximity of the store. Honestly, they were over the top great to deal with. They replaced my arrow that fletching came off. They set up the bow and were more than willing to adjust anything I needed. It was a great experience.
Put a pinhead size of fletching glue on the front end of the vane. Should stop the WB from ripping your fletching off. Need to do this with almost all factory fletching when using a WB; arrows are probably fine.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 AM

I also recommend taking it to Jimbows, they will double check it out for you and make sure everything is set up properly for you, including making sure the arrows are the ones for your new bow.

What type of flecthings do you have now? The blazers or Fusions work a lot better with the WB. I'm guessing you have 4" vanes? They warp or rip off, switch to a smaller Vane and you'll be a lot happier.

Cheers Mm
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

I picked mine up at Jimbows and they were pretty good to deal with just a bit busy the day I went so I don't think I got the service they're famous for but still helped me out a lot. The biggest problem I've had with my arrows fletchings is shooting them clean off at 40 yards once you get the bow dialed in it drives tacks.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 AM

I don't know when I'd be able to get it to Jimbow's, it's a bit of a jaunt through the city. I can try. My arrows are the 6075's, they have plastic fletchings. The fletchings come off when they hit the target, probably come off from the WB. I'll try glueing them.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 PM

I really like jimbows and bought my bow there but the service was not as good as I have seen it in the past. Turned my cams were not balanced and the D loop was not level. Most times shop is great but odd day a bit of a miss.