Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM

Default Gull Lake report

Decided to try Gull today, first trip of the season out there. Fished Wilsons side in about 6 - 10 fow. The cold kept me less mobile then I usually am, but managed to pull a few through the ice. Caught 2 whites, one released (1.5 lbs) and the other one ended up on the stove. Also caught a smallish bubot and released it to grow up a bit. Did finally move deeper but only managed several 4-6 inch perch. I noticed that the water clarity seems quit poor compared to other years around this time?..
Called it a day.......all in all a bit slow but better than sitting at home.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Nice! Sounds good to me...especially from an office chair today. Congrats on the day out!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 PM

Were you able to drive on at Wilson's? I was supposed to go last week but ended up at Brownlows with no luck on whites. Saw 3 but none of them bit.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 PM

3 species, and a snack. Sounds like a great day to me.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
Were you able to drive on at Wilson's? I was supposed to go last week but ended up at Brownlows with no luck on whites. Saw 3 but none of them bit.
You can. It is all open now and for the first time in several years, no huge ice heave in front. I would advise still sticking to shore and then checking ice before heading out. Fished the point North of Wilsons, stuck to shore. After walking out I found 14 inches down to around 10 inches. And the ice was in pretty crappy condition. The auger went through pretty easily and jumped a few times through some air pockets. Lots of others out but none had a large vehicle out...mostly quads or parked at shore. Towards the South of Wilsons, I haven't bee yet but I hear it is better there. good luck!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Anyone else on Gull at the moment?
Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Anyone else on Gull at the moment?
Nada, zero! Here in Wilson right now. Drilled too many holes already
Old 01-07-2016, 12:04 PM

3 perch here, one 11 inch. gonna move pretty quick
Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
You can. It is all open now and for the first time in several years, no huge ice heave in front. I would advise still sticking to shore and then checking ice before heading out. Fished the point North of Wilsons, stuck to shore. After walking out I found 14 inches down to around 10 inches. And the ice was in pretty crappy condition. The auger went through pretty easily and jumped a few times through some air pockets. Lots of others out but none had a large vehicle out...mostly quads or parked at shore. Towards the South of Wilsons, I haven't bee yet but I hear it is better there. good luck!
I drove on to the south end of Wilsons but stayed strictly to the main trail. Ice was around 16 inches but is good clear ice. I walked from there probably 1000 to 1500 yards from the truck to fish. It was - 22 Celsius yesterday so ice should thicken quickly. There are several shacks on the south end but I never went anywhere near them with the truck. Preferred to walk instead. There's also a pressure ridge around maybe 1/2 kilometer from shore so I would stay away from that for a while also.
I fished a yellow wireworm very slowly, gentle action I find works better when the fish are hesitant to take. The third (that was the extent of the day) one I saw did the 90 degree rejection at the last mili-second. I'm sure it was because I moved it too aggressively when it came in.
My observations anyway.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Brownlowes a week ago..
Bunch of 6 inch perch.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Default sandy beach resort

dose any one know how thick the ice is in and around sandy beach area
Old 01-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
I drove on to the south end of Wilsons but stayed strictly to the main trail. Ice was around 16 inches but is good clear ice. I walked from there probably 1000 to 1500 yards from the truck to fish. It was - 22 Celsius yesterday so ice should thicken quickly. There are several shacks on the south end but I never went anywhere near them with the truck. Preferred to walk instead. There's also a pressure ridge around maybe 1/2 kilometer from shore so I would stay away from that for a while also.
I fished a yellow wireworm very slowly, gentle action I find works better when the fish are hesitant to take. The third (that was the extent of the day) one I saw did the 90 degree rejection at the last mili-second. I'm sure it was because I moved it too aggressively when it came in.
My observations anyway.
the 90 degree rejection is something I have experience quite a lot of. From my exp, this has little to do with moving too aggressively and has everything to do with weather (pressure). On days when they do that, very few whites are biting and you'll be lucky to catch 1 or 2 for the day. On good days, I would be jigging very aggressively and they will come bite no matter what. I've had times when I jigged so hard that they would miss, turn around, try again, miss again and so on and so forth for 4-5 times before finally getting it in their mouths. The trend is if one does that, they all do that (within reason).
Old 01-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
the 90 degree rejection is something I have experience quite a lot of. From my exp, this has little to do with moving too aggressively and has everything to do with weather (pressure). On days when they do that, very few whites are biting and you'll be lucky to catch 1 or 2 for the day. On good days, I would be jigging very aggressively and they will come bite no matter what. I've had times when I jigged so hard that they would miss, turn around, try again, miss again and so on and so forth for 4-5 times before finally getting it in their mouths. The trend is if one does that, they all do that (within reason).
I've never really correlated rejection rates or types with atmospheric pressure although I know it affects the bite.. I've experienced the same fantastic days as you where they just slam it or return again and again before finally getting it. When their not taking the hook would you say for the most part the atmospheric pressure is too high, too low, or changing from one to the other? If the later which is it high to low or low to high?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Default 1 tons on the ice

do you think it is safe to take a 1 tone on the ice yet
Old 01-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Gull - Jan 8

Hit Gull on Friday & compared to other days the Perch were definitely frisky! Nice day weather wise, pressure was up and absolutely no wind. Fished in 13fow. Small jigs and Panther Martens tipped with small minnows and maggots seemed to work. Iced a Burb as well but did not get a picture. All went back for another day.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Nice catch and great pics! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Nice setup too. Looks like you fish in style and high tech
Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice catch and great pics! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Nice setup too. Looks like you fish in style and high tech
Thanks... Toys for boys Snap (no offence to the fisher lady folk) Want to "hook up" with you one day Snap! Last pic says it all though... sometimes a person just needs to be away from the CROWD!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
Thanks... Toys for boys Snap (no offence to the fisher lady folk) Want to "hook up" with you one day Snap! Last pic says it all though... sometimes a person just needs to be away from the CROWD!
Sounds good
I'm off to NB1 this coming weekend. After that, a trip to Gull could be just what the doctor ordered. Talk to you soon.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM

How did everyone else do today gonna sound unbelievable but me and a buddy caught 83 perch and 12 over 10 inches mostly 7-9 inches 2 pike 3 walleye nobody around but the odd sled cruising by its such a big lake I sometimes wonder why 90% of people fish the same 5% of the lake all the time