Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 08:25 PM

Default Meadow Lake Provincial Park info

I'm planning a trip to MLPP this summer to fish for walleye. I hear Waterhen fishes well, also was told to try Kimball.
I've never been there, so any help would be appreciated.
Not interested in secret spots, thats what makes the trip fun, but can anyone shorten the learning curve a bit and point me in the right direction?
Are these good lakes to try? Any experienced anglers out there willing to share some general info?
Much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 07:20 AM

I would not go to Kimball for fishing, it is a small lake with lots of water skiers. beautiful lake to camp at.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 AM

Here is a link to information on the park
http://www.saskparks.net/MeadowLake

Fishing Information
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/fishing/

Apply for a HAL online and purchase your fishing license there. Print off a few copies and keep one in your tackle box, boat and vehicle.

I know of one fisherman who fishes for walleye on Kimball. Goes early in the morning before the skiers are out and normally gets his limit he says.
Waterhen can produce some nice sized pike. My neighbour was out last month ice fishing on the lake. They caught one only fish and it was a 17 lb pike. Fishing in the park this winter was fairly slow so hopefully more fish to catch this summer.
Waterhen and Lac Des Isle can get quite rough when the winds blow. Lots of smaller lakes to fish when it gets windy. Every year, big pike get caught in Lac Des Isle also. The biggest I have caught there was 14 lbs. Sister in law caught a 20 lb 3 years ago. Pierce lake and Cold Lake have Lake trout.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 AM

Honestly there are so many places to fish I wouldn't limit yourself to one lake. Big Water Lakes like waterhen produce but there are so many smaller lakes that have a fraction of the fishing pressure and equally if not greater trophies.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM

Watrhen has good walleye fishing, and there are kinda 2 lakes associated with it so if its windy you can go down through the narrows and fish the smaller lake or the waterhen river. Greg lake is also good fishing and so is flotten, just watch out for prop dingers on flotten.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 PM

We will be at Waterhen June 1-5th ........ Walleye fishing is epic that week.

Lot's of lakes in the area, and all of them have very few boats and relatively low pressure compared to Alberta's lakes.

Caught some really nice walleye, big pike and lakers in the park ...... it's got something for everyone, every size of boat, in any conditions.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 PM

I preferred Canoe Lake had good fishing there.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Thanks everyone, great information shared by all. I appreciate the responses.

I hope to post some pictures later in the year with the results.
Cheers
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM

Heading up for a week at Meadow Lake on Friday going to Sandy Beach bought a 3 day license to get the little guy out. Will just be shore fishing as no boat any advise for fishing from the shore? If anyone is out there feel free to drop by for a beer.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
Heading up for a week at Meadow Lake on Friday going to Sandy Beach bought a 3 day license to get the little guy out. Will just be shore fishing as no boat any advise for fishing from the shore? If anyone is out there feel free to drop by for a beer.
Ive seen kids having luck from the sandy beach boat launch dock for pike. The other place I've fished from, from share has been the bridge that goes over the water between pierce lake and lepine lakes. Under the bridge and just towards lepine lake there is a deep hole and there is walleye and jacks in there.
Pierce lake has nice warm water as well as shallow shorelines. Could probably just walk out some from campground and catch fish there as well.
Good luck