Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Question Anyone shoot a back tension release for hunting?

As stated, I read a fellow members blog about using a back tension release, and it got me to thinking. I did some research on them, but would like real world opinions

How was it to get used to?

When twisting your wrist to fire, does it cause torque?

How popular are they?

Thanks

Mark
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Back tension releases certainly have their place...best cure for target panic...and prevents torque..as it will release before that happens...
.most use for target shooting and leauges..

However not so practical for action hunting in uneven and thick brush etc...

however good in blind...in treestand one has to bend at waist as with any shot ...some cant release proper doing so...

Hard to get used to for some...scary for others...lol
got a few arrows in celing in shop from shooters not drawing correct trying them...lol

many ajustable releases can react as a back tension release if tension is turned way down just below hair trigger...always point arrow in safe direction if you try this ...

Neil
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM

all I shoot for competiton and hunting is back tension .. like Neil said they are not for everybody .. when going to back tension from finger release u basically go back a year in learning how to shoot again .. there is alot more to it then people think .. I definately would try and start shooting one now this close to the season .. JMT
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
As stated, I read a fellow members blog about using a back tension release, and it got me to thinking. I did some research on them, but would like real world opinions

How was it to get used to?

When twisting your wrist to fire, does it cause torque?

How popular are they?

Thanks

Mark

When you are talking about a back tension release are you talking about a hinge style release?

Back tension is merely a technique used to execute the shot, this can be done with any release (Thumb trigger, hinge or index finger) for the most part.

Executing a shot with back tension does take some getting used to. You will have to re-program your shot sequence to the point where all you are doing is aiming and the " push-pull" back tension action will just happen.

If you are wanting to give it a try, set up at close range (2-3 yards) and blank bail to get the overall feel and muscle memory of how everything feels down before you try at longer ranges.

As far as torque on your string, if your d-loop is long enough, there will be minimal affects on your string.

I personally use a Carter Just-B-Cuz hand held thumb release for hunting and just execute my shots with backtension.

Once you get this technique down you wont want to shoot any other way.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:23 PM

I shoot similar to the above poster and use an action in my back to start the shot. Using a Scott Exxus. If you shoot a hinge and are proliferant with why not shoot it for hunting. Target Panic/Buck Fever are definitely interchangeable terms in my books. Ultimately your trying to get a surprise release so that your focused on aiming not shooting. Another more practical solution is the Scott Longhorn Hex, it's basically a big trigger that uses the same hinge mechanism Asa regular Scott hinge release except that it WILL NOT misfire while drawing and you can easily set the handle travel. It's a great training tool if nothing else and I'm lucky as I can go back and forth between the two releases without moving peep or change in POI. Google the Scott Archery Seminar from Bowjunky lots of good shooting tips.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 AM

I believe your talking about a hinge release, probably not practical for hunting. There's allot of factors using them, clothing, weather, excitement, personally I use a thumb release thru competition and hunting, it's a very subtle movement with a large steady muscle in your hand/forearm , I do use the back tension method of shooting which basically means that if my let off weight is 30lbs (just a made up number) I'm pulling back with enough force to equivilate approx 33 lbs. therefore when I trip my release my hands separate from each other and I get a clean follow thru in a straight line between my back elbow, release , arrow, and target. Hope this helps Marco.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Marco! Come on over two doors down and try one! I'll even teach you how...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Marko

Don't do it Marko! Your new neighbor is crazy!!!!!