Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Different Releases, different results.

Preparing for my Alberta bow hunt, I decided to buy another release to back up my dual caliper Tru Ball. I stuck with Tru Ball, but bought a "hook" style release. I tested the hook release yesterday, and was surprised how far off the Tim Horton's lid (my target) I was, at 50 yards. After a 1/2 dozen shots, high to the left, I put on my old release, and nailed the lid, and close to it, with my other shots. I went back today, and shot more arrows. I alternated the releases with each shot..using arrows with a white vane with my old release, and arrows with 3 yellow vanes for the hook style. Same as yesterday. Two different releases with two different POIs. Glad I checked it out first.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM

My hook release hits 12" Right and 6" above my hand held thumb release. My Scott mongoose will be a different POI as well. Not too surprising I suppose.

The Solution!

Go buy the exact same bow and sight each in with a different release. Problem solved ........at least that was the logic I used when I explained to my wife why I have two identical APA bows. Well they are colored up a little differently.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
The Solution!

Go buy the exact same bow and sight each in with a different release. Problem solved ........at least that was the logic I used when I explained to my wife why I have two identical APA bows. Well they are colored up a little differently.
Great...I'll tell my wife 338Bluff okayed it!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
Great...I'll tell my wife 338Bluff okayed it!
Let me know how that works out. I don't think my wife okayed it either.....
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM

That is very true ...We used/tested almost a dozen releases out of the same bow on a Hooter Shooter [Mecanical Bow shooter]
and the results were astonishing...all over the map with POI...amzing the cheapest and most expensive brand were close...but high left

We found the single caliper most accurate and consistant..mid range cost
POI was identical to as shot by shooter...

The most expensive close to $250.00 was in fact not the most accurate...
Duel caliper faired out the worst for consistancy...

My old Fletchunter [and newer ones] release by Jim Fletcher was very accurate and shot the same POI as when I shot by hand...well Hooter Shooter would Hood all day long if you let it...but in same hole consistancy...I was very happy with that..

JMHO
Neil
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
We found the single caliper most accurate and consistant..mid range cost
POI was identical to as shot by shooter...

The most expensive close to $250.00 was in fact not the most accurate...
Duel caliper faired out the worst for consistancy...

Neil
Hey Neil - what make / model would you recommend for a single caliper in a wrist & 3 finger thumb release if the budget was limited $150?

Thanks - learn something new everyday!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM

I have always shot with a Tru-Fire, got a new hurricane in the spring. Out of the package the trigger had a creep to it, so I lightened the pull and it was great.

A couple months ago I took a real deep cut on the trigger finger, no longer have feeling in it. Started pulling quite a bit, so I switched to the Tru-Fire 3D 4 finger, and my shootings been better than ever. Still trying to come up with a way to comfortably put a strap on it for in tree stand.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM

I use a Scott "Wildcat" single caliper release....really like it and it performs flawlessly.

LC
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Default If it works

If you have a release that works well for you buy 2 and keep one for backup for the following reasons. They never make the same release year after year and when something works stay with it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Have to agree 100% on the spare, I carry a spare in my pack that is always with me, and a third in the Truck, my main usually sits on the shifter in the truck...theres been times I get into my stand and have to hit my forehead with a doh!!!...and have to make sure that one gets put back in the pack at the end of the night...

The brand of release I shoot has always seemed to be consistant...it has an ajustable tension so once set they shoot identical ..even on a Hooter Shooter...the spare has to be shot equally thou as the wrist strap for hunting usually has to be broke in or it certainally feels different...

JMHO
Neil