Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Zone 212 any experienced deer hunter advice

Any experienced hunters in the 212, do you use tree stands? Field blinds? Or just stock and sneak up? Do you usually hold out for a buck or just tag a doe? What is the Cross conservation area? probably a stupid question but is there hunting in there? Any good advice is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:19 PM

WMU 212 is a bow only zone around calgary. It is almost exclusively private lands with a small area occupied by lease lands. Permission is very difficult to come by. Largely due to a high number of hunters and a high number of land owners / acreage owners that do not wish to deal with hunters or have hunters on their properties.

The tag opportunities are amazing in the zone. Between the general deer, elk and moose tags as well as the bear tags and the antlerless deer tags and the additional extended season for foothills deer and supplemental elk one does not need to hold out for anything. Essentially any big game animal is fair game with a few exceptions. Always read your regulations. Its been a while since I hunted there so Mule Deer bucks may have gone to draw and there may be some changes to the Moose too.

Anyway its an awesome zone, but it is no place for somone who hasn't done their homework. You will have to get out on the ground and bang on some doors to find a spot. You might have to beg and plead with an old boys club to take you under their wings and let you hunt their coveted spots, but it can be done if you do the leg work.

If this is your first year I would try hunting crown land and lease lands in WMU 312. Get your feet wet and start to build some hunting kred and character.

As for your question what is cross concervancy. It is a nature reserve donated by the cross family to the nature concervancy of canada. NO HUNTING. It is full of game. Lots of deer and a giant herd of Elk. Don't get any stupid ideas. Leave it be and hunt the legal open ground and earn your harvest like the rest of us.

Don't take my tone the wrong way, but you seem pretty green. So learn from what I have said and have fun getting started.