Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Default Venison Donair recipe of course with HM sweet sauce

I perfected this recipe and thought i'd share. I used to work at a donair shop and ever since I quit working there its hard to find a good donair. Now with this recipe I refuse to buy a donair for I feel I make a better tasting donair that is less greasy but still full in flavor. Here it is,

Donair meat:

1 1/2 pound venison- I have only used deer so far I assume moose or elk would work and possibly be better.

1 pound med. or regular ground beef- this is to keep the fat content up, donairs are greasy food so this helps keep the wild meat from drying up.

2 tsp of the following: oregano, salt, flour, black pepper,garlic powder, onion powder,

1 tsp: paprika

1/2 tsp: cayenne pepper

Mix all spices together in a small bowl, set aside. Put ground venison in bowl mash with potato masher add beef and keep mashing. when all mixed up add 1/5 of seasoning mixture and mash, keep repeating till seasoning is gone. Mash with potato masher.........keep mashing.......and more mashing, don't mash less mash more this gives you the "donair" texture. Alright after 10 to 15 min of mashing time to get your hands dirty. Pick up the mashed meat and start throwing it from hand to hand, as if you had a base ball and where throwing it from hand to hand. then throw it as hard as you can in to the bowl you where mashing in. pick up repeat, pick up repeat. Don't be lazy. These steps are required because they give the donair meat the donair texture.

Set oven to 325f

Once beaten, thrown and repeated form a loaf with the meat, bread pans work good for forming. Line baking sheet with tin foil, place cooking rack on middle of baking sheeting and then place donair loaf on rack. The rack lets the grease drip away from loaf.

after every 1/2 hour the loaf need to be flipped. Total cooking time is 2 to 2 and half hours so the loaf may be needed to be fliped 4-5 times during the cooking phase.

He comes the hard part. after 2-2 1/2 hours the loaf should be done but it needs to kool completely before it can be cut properly.............

Last edited by ALBTUFF; 12-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Sweet sauce recipe:

While the donair loaf is cooling its time to make the sweet sauce. The longer the sauce sits the thicker it gets and the more the flavors come out.

1- can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup- vinegar
2 tsp- garlic powder

Put condensed milk in bowl add vinegar and garlic powder, mix, mix and keep mixing everything will come together, have faith and keep mixing!

If you managed to wait till the next day the slicing of the donair loaf will be easier. Slice loaf into 1/16" slices. Heat up frying pan at med heat. Fry donair slices to desired crispyness levels and prepare pita bread.

Preparing pita:

take pita and quickly, I repeat QUICKLY rinse in water and fry in hot frying pan with a bit of olive olive, 20-30 seconds is all it take to make it useable. remove from heat and add kraft mozza cheese slices, followed by crisped venison donair meat, home made donair sweet sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion and of course more sweet sauce.

Damn thats good eating. I have been told I make the best best donair in edmonton from a buddy that I consider a donair Guru! Everybody enjoy and any question please ask!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:02 PM

You are a God! I just happen to have some deer meat thawed in the fridge and I was wondering what to do with it.

And I just happen to love donairs.

...they taste so f'n good in ma mouth!!!!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing man we are going to give these a go soon!

LC
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 AM

I did something similar last night. I made the meat mixture into sausage. Cooked them and after they were cool I sliced them thin and fried them to reheat and crisp up. Made excellent Donairs.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

This sounds great, thanks for posting the recipe!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Awesome...thanks
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Pure elk

Thanks so much ALBTUFF!

I made a slight modification. I used only ground elk and added 2Tbsp of vegetable oil to add some fat. It came out dry like a donair usually is, but not too dry. The olive oil on the pita added plenty of fat flavour too. Also used 1tsp of salt in stead of 2tsp, just cause we don't eat a lot of salty things usually. Still good flavour.

This is a winner and will be made again and again.

Last edited by Bard; 01-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Yummy!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Made these donairs and the entire family loved them!! Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Holy crap I gotta try this!! Thanks to ABTUFF for the recipe, and gitrdun for telling me about it.
My mouth is watering like a savage just reading this thread.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Anybody know how long the sweet and sour sauce will keep in the fridge? I have some from 2 weeks ago and figured I'd see if anyone else has done the finger poke taste test after a couple of weeks. It's like getting your buddy to taste the milk to see if it's sour so you don't have to.
P.S. I learned this from Tom Sawyer!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Anybody know how long the sweet and sour sauce will keep in the fridge? I have some from 2 weeks ago and figured I'd see if anyone else has done the finger poke taste test after a couple of weeks. It's like getting your buddy to taste the milk to see if it's sour so you don't have to.
P.S. I learned this from Tom Sawyer!
With that much vinegar and sugar....it will probably outlast most of us.....don't be a wussy use it!

LC
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 AM

Hey ALBTUFF

Great recipe, finally got the time and gumption to try it myself.

I have something to add as I feel I made a mistake. I used oregano at the 2tsp you specified. I used ground and not whole oregano and thought nothing of it until it was done. The oregano is a tad overpowering so a warning to anyone else using ground oregano I would cut it back to about 1 tsp, 1 1/4 tspish.

I find the sauce a tad thick what would you use to thin it a bit? Anymore vinegar and I would be scared to make sweet & sour sauce. Maybe just milk?

Thanks for sharing by the way, and I hope you posted this in the recipes on the general discussion sticky, so more can experience this.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Made it with elk, simply awesome. Had one for breakfast and plan on eating a few more today. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM

1 of 3 loaves in the oven as we speak. I have used moose. Smells fantastic. All day in the kitchen for this donair eating dad......lol

Biggmac
Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Ok a quick question for all those who have gone before me. I asked my wife to pick up some sweetened condensed milk when she went out shopping. She brought back a 300 ml can of low fat Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. What size can has everyone been using for the OP's sauce recipe and has anyone used low fat?? The loaf is in the oven as I type so I hope I get some responses before it's time to eat! Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Ok a quick question for all those who have gone before me. I asked my wife to pick up some sweetened condensed milk when she went out shopping. She brought back a 300 ml can of low fat Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. What size can has everyone been using for the OP's sauce recipe and has anyone used low fat?? The loaf is in the oven as I type so I hope I get some responses before it's time to eat! Thanks.
That's the right sized mix as I stated in the op. As far using low fat can't help you there as I never eat/buy low fat anything. If you give it a go make sure to post how it turned out.

I ran out of game meat so tonight I'm going to try beef and chicken. Should be good!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
That's the right sized mix as I stated in the op. As far using low fat can't help you there as I never eat/buy low fat anything. If you give it a go make sure to post how it turned out.

I ran out of game meat so tonight I'm going to try beef and chicken. Should be good!!!
Looked again but did not see the size of can in the OP. Asked my wife and she said 300 mls. was the standard size. I'm going to try using the low fat and if you don't hear back from me it is safe to assume that it turned out ok. Thanks for getting back to me and everyone else who had questions ALBTUFF and thanks for the recipe. Sorry you ran out of game! It's going to be a long 6 months unless you know someone with a freezer full.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Another testament to the greatness of this recipe. For my 29th birthday meal I helped my dad prepare this recipe using ground meat from all the animals I harvested in my 29th year.

We came up with a delicious combo using ground caribou, moose, bison and dall sheep. The bison and sheep had enough fat content that we did not have to mix in beef or pork. I commented how this was likely a world premier using this combo and have to say it was delicious. I coined it the "Quadruple Threat Donair".

It was as good as advertised and the feast was enjoyed by all, including most of my hunting partners and family!

Many thanks to the original poster for this recipe. It is a winner and will be made up again in the not so distant future.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Awesome

Thank you for the donair recipe ALBTUFF! Wife and I LOVED it!!!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 AM

that looks awesome... now i am hungry, lets go for lunch.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up

Just made this recipe and it was da BOMB!! Wife and I loved it. Kudos to the OP. Guess what's for lunch tomorrow......
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Great freaking recipe. Had an epic breakfast this weekend too. Donair meat on toast with sweet sauce, sunny side egg and mozza cheese. Very tasty.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM

The husband just made this tonight, AMAZING!

Thanks for posting it
Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Wink Moose too

My first batch was deer , my second batch was moose. Not a big difference...both were equally awesome
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM

This is fantastic recipe as I made it today and wow is all I can say. Thanks so much for posting.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM

We saw this recipe last weekend. groceries were bought yesterday and will be made tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Just finished making an antelope donair loaf couldn't wait the recommend time to let it cool completely.It taste unreal will never buy another store bought donair.If you are on the fence about making a loaf quick jump off and make one will be best 2-1/2 hours spent making food.ENJOY !!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM

Just bumping this up
Going to build one out of moose tonight
Can't wait
Thanks