Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Tell me about my outboard motor?

I have a Vanguard Banshee with this 1978 55HP Evinrude outboard. So far all I know is it's 2 cylinder, 2 stroke.
It runs well, though it has some a quasi hard start in that it needs the choke on, then off as soon as it fires. Maybe a carb cleaning or carb sealing job to be done there.
It's been painted over and it's old and dirty, hence a couple queries.
Question(s) I have are:
Does anyone know the actual model of this motor?
Does this motor have a stator?
What type of fluid should I be putting into the bottom drive?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Choke full on then full off once running is how they roll.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 AM

There should be a tag on the side of the motor clamp or just behind it that will give you a SN and model # which is easy to look up on google for an exact year. By the color I would say mid 70's . As for oil , the sierra gear case oil is an OMC oil and should do fine but you might want to double check that once you have the model and year nailed down.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:18 PM

according to Evinrude parts website

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx..._id=5&siteid=1

there is only two 1978 55hp model numbers
55874S
or
55875S
Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
There should be a tag on the side of the motor clamp or just behind it that will give you a SN and model # which is easy to look up on google for an exact year. By the color I would say mid 70's . As for oil , the sierra gear case oil is an OMC oil and should do fine but you might want to double check that once you have the model and year nailed down.
Says right on the tag 1978 55 HP. There was only a long shaft and short shaft of the model but there were many options re key start/pull start, auto primer manual primer etc. Yours is clearly an electric remote start so will have remote choke and Idle lever on the gear control. See that part of the cold start process below.

If you need parts these guys will have them.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...5&model=55875S

Online service manual you can print.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manu...inrude.html#/0

Printed owners and some service manuals for 2010 models and prior, contact the Ken Cook Company at (414) 466-6060

Johnson/Evinrude cold start procedures From Iboat Forum

This seems to come up quite a lot, so this Thread is an attempt to capture the common cold-start procedures for the various types of ignitions, and fuel delivery systems for OMC outboards. The following are standard guidelines for cold-starting. Your particular outboard may vary, but these procedures should give you a good baseline. There is no substitute for knowing the particular quirks of your own equipment.

Regardless of the year and type of outboard the steps common to all these are:
Ensure all battery connections are solid, and battery has a full charge (electric start only).
Ensure the fuel lines are properly attached to tank and outboard.
Ensure the fuel tank is properly vented. Buit-in tanks will have a dedicated vent line. Some portable tanks will often have a vent screw built into the cap, others will have auto-venting caps.
Pump the primer bulb in the fuel line until it is hard. If the primer bulb does not become hard you may have other issues including an air leak, defective bulb, or misadjusted carbuerator floats.
If you have electric trim, trim the motor up to eliminate excessive back-pressure during cold start. Do NOT tilt the motor up out of the water.

You are now ready to start your outboard using the following procedures specific to you model.

Remote Keyed Ignition

There are two basic types of fuel systems to aid in cold starting. Solenoid activated Choke plates and solenoid primers. The starting procedures are the same for each.
Place the motor in fast-idle and in neutral gear. Depending on your remote control box, this is acomplished in one of two manners. If you have a dedicated fast-idle lever pull that up between 3/4 to full. If you have a single-lever control and don't have a fast-idle lever, pull the throttle out to lock the engine in neutral and push the throttle forward. If you have a dual-lever control, leave the shifter in neutral, and advance the throttle.
Push the key in, activating the choke plates or primer.
Turn the key to start.
After the motor begins to run, release the key so it returns to the run position and disengages the choke/primer.
As the motor begins to stumble, bump the key in activating the choke/primer. You may need to do this several times until the motor can fast-idle on its own.
If you tilted your motor up for cold-start, lower the motor to its normal operating position.
Visually inspect tell-tale for solid stream indicating proper cooling.
As the motor warms up, slowly begin reducing the fast-idle until the motor is able to run in normal idle on its own.

Additional Notes:
Choke Plates: It is often the case that the choke plates are not set so they close fully and stay closed during start. You can remove the outer air cover and visually monitor their operation during start. If they are not closed, or do not stay closed, adjust the position of the choke solenoid in small increments until this condition is achieved.
Quick Start: Because these systems automatically advance the timing for a cold start, raising the warm up lever may cause the timing to revert to normal at around 1100 RPM, before the engine is warmed to 96 degrees, defeating QuikStart. Those who have QuikStart may find that cold starts are better without the warm up lever, or with just a little. (thanks ezeke)

Tiller Start

As in the remote keyed ignitions, there are two basic types of fuel systems to aid in cold starting. Choke plates and primers. The starting procedures are different for each and are as follows:

Manual Choke

Choke plates are butterfly plates located at the back of the carburetor body. When engaged, they restrict the flow of air through the carburetor forcing more fuel to be drawn through the idle and mid-range jets while cranking. The choke is only effective while the motor is turning and drawing air through the carburetor body.
Put motor in neutral
Place the throttle in the start position.
Fully engage the choke.
Pull starter rope, or press start button until the engine starts.
As the engine begins to run, slowly slide the choke lever in. The rate of choke disengagement will vary greatly with each individual outboard. Some require immediate disengagement, others require slow disengagement. Know your outboard.
As the choke is disengaged and the motor warms up, slowly back the throttle off from start to the shift position.

Manual Primer

The manual primer operates as both a fuel injector and an enriching device. The fuel injector operates w/o air being drawn through the motor. The enriching device is an alternate path from the carburetor to draw fuel through the primer and add more fuel during cold-start.
Put motor in neutral
Place the throttle in the start position.
Cycle through one or two full pull-push operations on the primer knob. This will squirts fuel into the intake manifold.
Pull out primer knob one half-to full out. This will engage the cold-start enricher circuit.
Pull the starter rope, or press start button until the engine starts.
As the engine begins to run, slowly slide the primer knob in. The rate of choke disengagement will vary greatly with each individual outboard. Some require immediate disengagement, others require slow disengagement. Know your outboard.
As the choke is disengaged and the motor warms up, slowly back the throttle off from start to the shift position.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:28 PM

there is a stater under the flywheel, it is number 8 in this diagram

Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Unfortunately I can't work on it today, though I'm itching to have a look at it.
I've never tried starting it at high idle. I always thought that was a no no and so it didn't even cross my mind. I'll try that first, next step I'll clean the carbs, last step will be carb seal kits.

The boat isn't set up with try remote choke, is that easy to find and install?

Thx again!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;3536803]Says right on the tag 1978 55 HP.

ya I don't know how I didn't see that picture . eyes are going I guess