Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 12:19 AM

Default Camping suggestions near Swift Current

Alright folks,

Now I know the site is called Alberta Outdoorsmen, but here is my predicament...

Girlfriend is out at Depot (Regina) for the summer, and of course all last year we shopped and shopped but couldn’t find a trailer we wanted and in our price range. Feb rolls around and we find exactly what we are looking for. 3 weeks later she gets the awesome news that she has a new career. She has one long weekend and doesn’t want to fly home, so I’m planning on dragging the trailer out to her for the long weekend. Problem is I have ZERO camping spots or ideas in this region. Looking for something either private where I can run a generator or at a site that has hookups.

Seems there is a few around swift current but I really don’t know the area. Was hoping someone on here might have a suggestion. Trailer is only 23 feet long and we’d want a spot dog friendly. Location isn’t all that important but it would need to be within a couple hours of Regina, and preferably between me (Calgary and Regina).

Anyone got suggestions?
Old 05-06-2018, 05:43 AM

Sask Landing has some nice spots.

http://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/p...sort=relevancy

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-06-2018, 06:09 AM

We do a fair bit of camping in the area. Cypress Hills is nice, but likely booked up. Sask Landing or Buffalo Pound would be alright too.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 AM

Try Buffalo Pound Provincial Park.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:54 AM

Sask landing would be my pick. We try to go there a couple times a year. Can fish from shore, a good golf course, decent food at the clubhouse, nice facilities, and free firewood. Also need to check out the drive in movies at Kyle SK about 1/2hr north of the campground.

Might be tough getting a spot though once school gets out. We found it was fairly easy, even on May Long weekend but things were pretty much full the day after school got out.

And if you’re bringing a dog make sure they are treated for ticks. One of the only places our guy got them was down there.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This right here
Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

Have camped here a couple of times http://saskregionalparks.ca/park/eagle-creek/ quite nice.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM

|Depends on the terrain and type of campig you'd like to do.

As was already sugested, Sask Landing is a great spot and right on Lake Diefenbaker, huge, beautiful body of water!
It's a great park with good facilities.

If you've never been you have to go to Cypress Hills in the Maple Creek area, Grasslands National Park I think it's called.
I've camped in there in the westblock with the horses and the scenery is stunning, beautiful place.

Buffalo Pound is a really nice park on a smaller, shallow, smelly lake (also where Moose Jaw and Regina draw their Municipal water from coincidentally) Good facillities here though.

Palliser Park at Riverhurst is another great bet, also on Diefenbaker, great fishing good facillities, boat launch, marina, cantene, Hotel with excellent restaurant. I've never golfed it but there is a course.

Besant Campground is a nice quiet little place right on #1 about an hour west of Regina, no lake there though. And don't go when the electronic music festival is on! (won't be so quiet then anymore, haha)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Pallsier or Sask Landing gets my pick
Old 05-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
If you've never been you have to go to Cypress Hills in the Maple Creek area, Grasslands National Park I think it's called.
I've camped in there in the westblock with the horses and the scenery is stunning, beautiful place.
The Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park and the Grasslands National Park are not the same thing. But they are both nice places to camp.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

besant is a nice place to hang your hat, go for a walk to the stream that is there, trout, pan fryers.....or Sask landing....or cypress....or

I use to live close to besant, nice little get away, wouldn't even believe your in the middle of the prairies.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-06-2018, 11:52 PM

Lots of good suggestions on here. I took the advice, and booked for Sask Landing. Looks like a fun place to spend a weekend!