Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Power auger tip

Hi all...just thought id share a tip about 1 of my experience's with my auger a couple yrs ago.

So a couple yrs ago I ended up snapping the pull cord on my auger. So I got some rope from CT that was made for pull cords and got 1 season out of it where it seemed to be not very resistant to oil's/conditions. I guess maybe they don't build things like they used to

Anyways, I was at the local landfill and noticed about a dozen discarded lawnmowers...all with good ropes on them. Lots of the mowers had the handle up high on the bar so there was a good 4-5 ft and that length of them was all in really good shape. So I went around and cut about a half dozen of them off.

I usually pack my auger head in a Rubbermaid tub. With a couple minor tools to change a recoil rope and threw 3 of them in the tub along with replacing mine.

All in all it has held up good and I had a buddy snap his on his auger so we changed his right on the lake and just recently had a buddy break his rope on his genset at his shack...An extra rope sure comes handy especially if you are travelling far enough, the last thing you want to happen is auger trouble.

Anyways, just thought id add...and might save a trip or two for some fellow fisherman...!!!...Oh and the price is right...!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Great advice and thanks for the good info. Makes sense to me?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 PM

If you want some really tough rope that you won't break, replace your pull cords with para cord. It will last forever.