Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Pike Leaders

I'm thinking of switching from steel leaders to fluorocarbon for pike. Does anyone know how the fluorocarbon holds up compared to steel? What weight flouro should I use? Any specific brands that have worked well?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2016, 10:50 AM

Fluoro is WAY better IMHO, also allows for better hardware use. I run 25lb leader and haven't had a bite through yet. I've used Berkley so far and all good. Just make sure it's fluorocarbon leader material not fishing line
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM

Personally, I would not use less than 40 fluoro leader material for pike. And bigger is better. I prefer 60 or 80.

Also use longer 18-24 inch leader if going after pike.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM

I prefer sufix fluorocarbon invisiline. It's about 10 bucks for 33 yards. Just remember to use a double cinch and a dab of crazy glue works good to make the knot smooth so it doesnt hang up in your guides
Food for thought
Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Use at least 40 lb. Even 40 will get nicks and if you aren't careful can break off on you, I use 20 at times as well but have had multiple breakoffs with it. Make sure you buy fluoro leader material not line, fluoro leader material is much more abrasion resistant which is what you need.

In the summer I use titanium, no worries about nicks etc but in the winter with the bait being primarily stationary I believe the visible titanium(or steel) does effect the fish reaction so I use fluoro.

I tie on about 5 feet of it cause unless you are using a snap swivel then you lose a couple inches every time you retie. Once I get down to ~18 in I tie a new one on. Make sure you check your line for nicks after each fish especially bigger ones and retie if necessary.

I tie an improved clinch knot to connect lures but you will only be able to do 3-4 wraps unlike the usual 7 most people use with lighter lines.

I use no name knot for braid to fluoro and the main line often fails before the knot does. Note step 4 is actually to keep winding another 12 times back on itself then feed it through figure eight.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM

I use 3 foot 50lb Fluro for my Leaders.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 PM

I use wire usually, but this year I would like to use more flouro.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM

switched from steel to 30lb fluoro. No problems yet knock on wood, just check it for abrasions after you catch a fish or two. I think next time I'll switch to 40 to put my mind at ease a little.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

I use saltwater mono if I can find it, it's way more abrasion resistant than other mono. The one I used to use was made by Triple Fish.

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.co...triplefish.htm

LC
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM

If just fishing for pike 50 pound + fluorocarbon. On tip up I use 80 lb fluorocarbon.

When I first started using fluoro I used 30 pound and had a couple big pike slice through it like butter.

Make sure you get the fluorocarbon leader specific material it is more abrasion resistant. 100 x better than steel liters.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM

Make the switch, you will not regret it. i use 90lb Seaguar with a 100lb snap swivel. Caught loads of 20-30 lb pike on Cree lake without any break offs. Unbelievable stuff. Local fishing i use 40-50lb.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
I'm thinking of switching from steel leaders to fluorocarbon for pike. Does anyone know how the fluorocarbon holds up compared to steel? What weight flouro should I use? Any specific brands that have worked well?

Thanks
After having some pike cut my 60 and 80 lb flouro leader material I will only use 100 or higher. I hate leaving hooks in fish.

I use titanium leaders mostly now. Some leaders even last multiple years so are not that expensive in the long run. The ones I use are made in BC.

I have tried a little experiment between a couple of my tip ups. one has long flouro to flour leader and one has a titanium leader.

Some days one seems to do better than the other but after 3 years there number of fish landed are about the same.

Last edited by cube; 02-11-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:08 PM

I switched to flouro leaders this winter. I got 40lb test and so far it's been really good, I out fished everyone I fished with that are using steel leaders. Like said if they are biting really good you don't notice to much of a difference. It's if the fishing is slow you notice it works better.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Default Pike Leaders

Quote:

Thanks
On any given day flouro leaders are not any better than steel. In some instances when the bite is slow it may help but not to any large degree. When the bite is on and pike are feeding it doesn't matter what your leader material is as long as it can handle the size of fish you are catching. I have been using flouro leaders for 3 years and the hook up rate is no different than steel leaders. So far the 25lb + fish have been hooked up on steel leaders more so than the flourocarbon. Bait and presentation is more of an issue than leader material that I have found in the past few years. If you are going to use flouro leader for big pike 20lb + I would think 50lb test would keep you safe from breakoffs other than the bottom of your icefishing hole. Any brand as long as it is leader material and have at'r.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM

Have any of you guys used the premade seaguar leaders with swivels at the top and a snap swivel at the bottom to attach to the hook?

I'm thinking of trying them this year for 2 reasons.

1)I find that both metal and titanium leaders get crimped and my lures don't run straight anymore. Especially frustrating with something like a strike king spinner rig.

2) I find that on all the metal leaders I've tried, I've had issues with the snap swivels opening up on me.

Hopefully the snap swivels that come with these rigs are a bit more trustworthy. If not, does anybody have a recommendation on a brand of snap swivels where they don't experience this issue? I mostly fish for big pike and do a 4-5 day Winifred trip every year where this is a big issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:55 PM

I prefer titanium. The best ones I've found are a 7 strand made in Canada by Finn-tastic. The clasps are great. Never had an issue .I have had leaders last multiple seasons without crimping or wearing out. A little pricy but definitely worth it
Old 02-11-2016, 09:01 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=276981

Check this thread for similar info.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 PM

I agree with using fluorocarbon leader material and it's countless advantages over using steel leaders.

- Easier on the fishes skin and the skin on your hands too.
- Virtually invisible
- Flexible and Supple
- Easy to customize

I use 40-80lb for pike. I have had ZERO bite throughs in 5 years. Likely thousands of pike taken without an issue.

In terms of terminal tackle - don't use the garbage Puchi or Danielson cheap crap.

Use rated swivel snaps, rings and barrel swivels like Berkley, Rosco, Wolverine or Mustad.

Use the cross locks where/when you can.

I think those that use the right materials become believers in fluorocarbon leaders and high quality terminal tackle. They are great.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree with using fluorocarbon leader material and it's countless advantages over using steel leaders.

- Easier on the fishes skin [/SIZE]
and the skin on your hands too.
- Virtually invisible
- Flexible and Supple
- Easy to customize

I use 40-80lb for pike. I have had ZERO bite throughs in 5 years. Likely thousands of pike taken without an issue.

In terms of terminal tackle - don't use the garbage Puchi or Danielson cheap crap.

Use rated swivel snaps, rings and barrel swivels like Berkley, Rosco, Wolverine or Mustad.

Use the cross locks where/when you can.

I think those that use the right materials become believers in fluorocarbon leaders and high quality terminal tackle. They are great.
What EZM said, especially the point in red. Really notice the difference when the fish barrel rolls and your leader wraps around the fishes body.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Trust me when i say use Berkley Big game leader line flurocarbon in 40 lb. i catch lots and lots of pike and the leader does not break even with numerous knicks.
Use 3 wraps on a clinch knot. If you use more than that the knot will not tighten.

Good luck and tight lines👍
Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Tried switching from steel, started losing big fish, switched back to steel, resumed catching big fish.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:47 PM

EZM is on the money, 50-80 pound quality fluro is the way to go...big fish are smart and can see quite well especially in the shallows where I fish for them. Use quality terminal tackle as mentioned, because that will fail before the line will but you must keep an eye on it for wear.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 PM

spend the extra few dollars and go titanium... make your own for very cheap. why risk losing that fish of a lifetime on flouro.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:25 PM

As far as I'm concerned there is zero added risk in using a proper fluorocarbon leader material with proper swivels and snaps versus titanium.

I have never lost a pike using fluorocarbon leaders - and I have caught hundreds if not thousands - many of them 15 plus pounds - some over 20. No issues. I used the same leader for almost 2 seasons on my casting rod.

The guys loosing fish are either buying fluorocarbon line (not coated leader material), going to light in tensile test weight, can't tie a proper knot or just haven't tried it.

Thousands of Trophy Pike/Musky guys can't be wrong ....... and frankly ..... I call BS ..... Fluorocarbon leader is absolutely the best product you can use and is superior in every way.

Might as well use a horse and buggy to get to work while I drive my car past you.

You might argue, and I would agree with you if you said a titanium leader with quality swivels and snaps will last a long time and is very unlikely to fail ......and just as strong ..... BUT it's not invisible under water, isn't supple, you can't grab the leader with your bare hand and it will cut a pike up like a knife if it rolls. It will also slice through your braided main line in a tangle ....... Fluorocarbon won't.

To each his own. But after trying both - I will never use steel or titanium for pike or musky again. Absolutely going backwards in technology and giving up significant advantages if I do.

Might as well tie my shoe laces together and enter a race.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 AM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned there is zero added risk in using a proper fluorocarbon leader material with proper swivels and snaps versus titanium.

I have never lost a pike using fluorocarbon leaders - and I have caught hundreds if not thousands - many of them 15 plus pounds - some over 20. No issues. I used the same leader for almost 2 seasons on my casting rod.

The guys loosing fish are either buying fluorocarbon line (not coated leader material), going to light in tensile test weight, can't tie a proper knot or just haven't tried it.

Thousands of Trophy Pike/Musky guys can't be wrong ....... and frankly ..... I call BS ..... Fluorocarbon leader is absolutely the best product you can use and is superior in every way.

Might as well use a horse and buggy to get to work while I drive my car past you.

You might argue, and I would agree with you if you said a titanium leader with quality swivels and snaps will last a long time and is very unlikely to fail ......and just as strong ..... BUT it's not invisible under water, isn't supple, you can't grab the leader with your bare hand and it will cut a pike up like a knife if it rolls. It will also slice through your braided main line in a tangle ....... Fluorocarbon won't.

To each his own. But after trying both - I will never use steel or titanium for pike or musky again. Absolutely going backwards in technology and giving up significant advantages if I do.

Well said and as such, deserves a big ole X2!
Old 02-13-2016, 02:19 AM

Default Big Pike

Quote:

Might as well use a horse and buggy to get to work while I drive my car past yo

EZM, most won't argue about what you are saying, other than the fishermen from back in the day when fluorocarbon was not in existence, and I happen to be one of those guys. Nothing wrong with using flouro leaders as I use them myself , on occasion, but other leaders will catch fish as well and consistantly with the right presentation and bait. Never had a pike or lake trout injured with any of my set ups, open water or thru the ice and that # is pushing thousands. Flourocarbon leaders are most likely the new norm and that is great but is not the only way new fishermen need to set up for catching big fish every once and awhile. That being said coast lock snaps as terminal tackle is the only way to go for big fish, nuff said.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Flouro Wins Out

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I decided to try flouro and went with 50lb leader. Cabelas only sold Berkly Vanish in flouro leader material. Surprisingly the Vanish was ok, much better than the regular Vanish line. It was able to hold a knot but I still dabbed a bit of crazy glue to be sure.

Fished the flouro on my jigging rod next to a windlass set up with steel. Normally the windlass catches twice as many fish as my jigging. This time jigging with fluoro produced 6 pike and 2 lost at the hole. Windlass with steel got 2 pike and 1 lost.

Flouro had no knicks, still in great shape and outperformed the steel - I'm now sold on flouro.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Tried fluro for fly leaders for pike 30 lbs and didn't care for it. To many bite offs. I have the odd one still with steel. Pretty sure they are not bite throughs but abrasion on the steel loop. Pike strikes on the fly tend to be super aggressive and always gome from the side. Slices theough mono like scissors. My $$ on steel or really heavy flouro/ saltwater mono.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Flouro leaders are the best, I use 50lb with the same knots a poster above showed. A good trick with the heavier leader material is to put a small drop of super glue on your knot, it will never come undone or break there.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Tried fluro for fly leaders for pike 30 lbs and didn't care for it. To many bite offs. I have the odd one still with steel. Pretty sure they are not bite throughs but abrasion on the steel loop. Pike strikes on the fly tend to be super aggressive and always gome from the side. Slices theough mono like scissors. My $$ on steel or really heavy flouro/ saltwater mono.
I would say 30lb is way, way too light for pike.

The way to look at it, in my opinion is simple ...... use a 80lb fluorocarbon leader and you won't have bite throughs. The 80lb flouro is still thinner and are more supple compared to any steel or titanium leader of equal test strength .... not to mention all the other benefits of fluoro.