Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Default What would you do

Was on the ice this morn. drilled 8 holes all within my 30 meter radius I like to fish.

After a few hrs. along comes a truck with some eastern European speaking people who proceed to set up within 15-20 feet of me and start to use holes that I had drilled. not a word was said just started to set up and tried to put into one hole not 3 ft. away from where I was sitting. That got me having a few words about drilling their own holes and maybe move off a bit.

We were here yesterday was all they said.

Too old to screw with jerks so I packed up and moved several hundred meters and what do you know a different group comes along and want to fish in this spot to.

Told them I had been there 3 hrs with no bites but the guys a few hundred meters away seemed to be catching. Off to there they go. lol

Too much bs for me to have to deal with.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM

That's kind of ignorant there is such thing as personal space. I stay away from people when fishing both open and hard water.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Ah man thats horrible. Ive had that happen to me shore fishing a few times.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM

At traverse about a month ago I drilled a few holes till I found the depth I wanted to fish and went to grab my gear having not been gone for 5 mins there was a guy fishing in my hole

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Seen this too many times. When they start fishing drill a hole right next to him. When he moves drill another hole.
Maybe put an Adele cd on and turn it loud. That should make the leave the lake in a flash
Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM

Could always drill a circle around him/ them and see if their island floats? Or around their vehicle hehehe
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM

I would have lost it I think. That's brutal....
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM

Good on you for staying calm my patients are running really low with people's manners these days.I cant believe that people pretend to be so stupid and don't understand common sense.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 PM

That's why I sometimes just put my blank tip ups over the holes close to me that I haven't used yet. I think I would have had to say something when that close
Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Wow! Such ignorance is getting to be too common. Good job on calling it BS and distanced yourself from these riffraff. Though my personal experience were with a group of good ol' boys.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM

I have had my fair share of this shore fishing. It is extremely frustrating. I mean free country but honestly, people that do this don't have any feeling of wrong doing?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 PM

Unreal. I wouldn't have stood for it, yet I admire your maturity.
I understand the desire to fish the same area, since I'll do that sometimes if someone is where I was planning on going.
Yet I'll keep a respectable distance and or ask if they mind.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Could always drill a circle around him/ them and see if their island floats? Or around their vehicle hehehe
That's awesome
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Which lake did this happen at?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Some people have no respect for other individuals or the sport itself......
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM

I would have had a few words with/told them, If they didn't move then I would be drilling hundreds of holes around there truck till it was iffy that it would float.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Banned

Wow...better man than me.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Told them I had been there 3 hrs with no bites but the guys a few hundred meters away seemed to be catching. Off to there they go. lol

Nicely played.

What is that saying again - "Don't mess with old farts... Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

You made my morning with that one lol
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM

We will drill a ton of holes too, a line straight out and maybe a circle. Tip ups deep, walk the rest. I have offered up some holes to a few fisher people over the years but they came over and asked. Sure go ahead or i offer to drill a few for them. But i have had the jerks come and take over one portion and it sure is frustrating. That's when the kids can fire up the sled and start doing circles around us People are funny, if you ask, most will say sure have at it but to just drive up and start using someone else's holes is sad.

We generally pick spots away from or well off to the side of the general fishing population as I was taught to give lots of space. We have walked over and talked to people to say hi and see how their doing but we don't crowd. Especially if the kids want to ride the sled. Then we go far away so were all by our self and the kids know to stay away from the others.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 AM

A few weeks ago a buddy and myself were the only fishermen on a very popular lake south of Calgary due to the -22 temps. We did well and stayed warm in the tent. A few hours later one other vehicle came on the ice and proceeded to stop and the couple started drilling their holes about 60 ft away. They showed some courage fishing in -20 with no tent. Eventually the husband wandered over and asked what bait we were using. We told him what was working and at what depth. Several minutes later his wife stuck her head in our tent, asked what we were using and if she could have some. Seemed like a strange request but it was near the end of our day so we gave her our maggots ( she did not know what they were) . As we packed up to leave a while later I gave them what shrimp I had left as that was the magic ticket that day...Pay it forward when you can...sk
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Stand your ground, walk over and drop a line into the hole they're fishing. When they get chapped tell them too go drill their own holes. I'd lose it, snap, overreact.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Stand your ground, walk over and drop a line into the hole they're fishing. When they get chapped tell them too go drill their own holes. I'd lose it, snap, overreact.
I would walk over to the hole I drilled with my auger in hand and proceed to start drilling all around them. They would get the hint eventually. Losing it on them would be an understatement.
On a different note. If someone had a hand auger on same lake as I, I would and have drilled holes for them. Its too bad people have very little respect anymore....
Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Wear a coat like this..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1913896_10153164956927680_1193801657399898780_n.jpg (46.3 KB, 107 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-10-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bullets View Post
wear a coat like this..
awesome
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM

That type of situation happened to me on open water years ago.We were in a fairly small bay on lake of woods fishing off a beaver house and pounding walleyes. Along comes a big US licenced boat and proceeds to pull up directly even with us no more than 10-15 feet away. I thought the were coming over for a friendly chat but no they drop anchor and start fishing. I pulled my jig up tied on the biggest, narliest, treble hooked lure I had and cast right over their boat and then jerked it back hard with the lure flying right back past their heads. Then I said whoa sorry didnt realize you were so close to us. They got message and pulled up and drove off
Old 02-11-2016, 06:10 PM

Default What would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Seen this too many times. When they start fishing drill a hole right next to him. When he moves drill another hole.
Maybe put an Adele cd on and turn it loud. That should make the leave the lake in a flash
You have an Adele CD.?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
You have an Adele CD.?
Not a chance. But if I did hear it next to me I would lose my mind. That is some kind of bad music
Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 PM

There is a reason I try to avoid busy lakes...

But sadly it happens even on remote lakes. Like the time we were the only ones on the lake and a couple guys come over and set up right on some of our holes... We didn't give them grief though since those holes weren't producing anything lol.

Now if you are on a prime spot and someone comes over and asks nicely to fish close by because they often fish that spot too I usually have no issue with that. There are only so many good spots on lakes and none of us own them.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
I'd get a kick out of watching that.... I like it.