Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Default Vexilar

Hello all. First time poster looking for help. I own a vexilar fl8se. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I don't see separation until my hook is about a foot to foot and a half off the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 PM

You just have to adjust the sensitivity until you barely see your lure. If it has zoom that also helps.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks. No zoom but I will try the sensitivity.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM

You want your hook to be a small green line (a bit of yellow is ok). If your hook is showing as a big red blob you need to tun the sensitivity down. If you have the sensitivity turned all the way down and your hook is still showing as a big red blob you will need to get a suppresion cable from Vexilar. This cable goes on the transducer line and will cut your power output to the transducer in half, making your hook look half as big and not a big blob.

Other than the flasher its self it is possible to not be able to see bottom due to sonar "shadow". If there is a rock that is a foot high on the bottom your sonar will show the top of the rock as bottom and anything below the top of the rock will not be seen. This also happens with weeds or a sloped bottom like if you were fishing on a drop off.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 PM

Lotsa videos on YouTube about flashers as well.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Other than the flasher its self it is possible to not be able to see bottom due to sonar "shadow". If there is a rock that is a foot high on the bottom your sonar will show the top of the rock as bottom and anything below the top of the rock will not be seen. This also happens with weeds or a sloped bottom like if you were fishing on a drop off.
I think this is probably the issue. Happens all the time to me as we usually fish the drops. I know the FL8 does not have to duel cone angle but this can help reduce this.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
This^^^

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/08/...cer-beam-angle

Dace
Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 PM

That makes a lot of sense now. I've been fishing a steep drop off. It goes from 10' deep to 25' deep very quickly. I'm obviously in the "shadow". Thanks