Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Spray Lake Friday March 20

I will be heading to Spray Friday morning, have the day off and want to enjoy the sunshine (hopefully it's nice ata spray ). Will be there by around 7:30 am, will be fishing 3/4 across the lake from Driftwood boat launch. Drivign the car (black jetta) and will have the hut (ice cube) and likely quite a few holes drilled around. Anyone is welcome to join me and will be happy to share tips on catching lakers in deep water.

Cheers.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Default spray

May be interested in joining u...sent u a PM
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Default spray

Chris

Looks like we will be hedn to spray tomorrow too. Will hook up with u in the morning.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 PM

Report:

I was late (never happens) and buddyless, didnt get out till after 8 and by the time I started fishing it was 9:30. It was a long walk with the heavy wet snow (+1 C when I got there). Ice is about 26" and there is 8" of snow on top. Pretty tiring to get over to where I wanted to be . Weather was pretty good, melting and wasn't that windy in the morning. Wind was picking up when I left at 2. It was about 6 C then. Met camshaft and whitewolf out there. We all had a pretty good day. Quite a few bites early in the morning lots of misses. The water level is down 15 feet or so because the spot I usually fish in was only 51 feet. I left with my limit and camshaft and whitewolf had five. Whitewolf caught a couple of real nice ones, bigger than mine and I was really happy with my three. About 16" but good weight to them. Caught two while seeing it happen on the camera, they bit fast and agressive in the AM. Typical buzz bombs and smelt heads did the trick. Last one caught when a school went by at 1:30, whitewolf must have caught the same school too as that's when he pulled in the nice one.

Some pics.

First one at 10:00 am.

All three

Again

Whitewolf's beauty's

At home

Some good supper fillets!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Default spray

Good fishing with ya Chris...thx for the invite and the use of your auger. No fish after u left and the wind got worse....oh well, still beats work.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM

I love your cutting board.....

If your heading out next weekend let me know as I would loce to hit spray. If your in tomorrow a few of us are heading to Clear Lake.

Thanks for the photos, looks like another great day.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Interesting bonker, was that why the bulgey eyes on the fish or was it the Sunshine girl?

Thanks for the report.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM

congrats it`s a great catch ))

thinking to go to the Spray next weekend
Old 03-21-2009, 02:00 PM

Good catch guys, just got back from spray was there from 5am - 1pm. Didnt have any luck, i even fished at the spots you guys were at and nothing. Only saw one get iced up the whole time we were there. Was a super nice day though.

Kinda disappointed was hoping to ice some nice ones up. We were using tube jigs with smelts
Old 03-21-2009, 02:17 PM

I was also there this morning...guy who was going with me was late getting up and to my place, and folks were backed up along the hill on the road because it was icy and they were getting stuck. Strapped on the chains and had no trouble (except for a nice 180 just north of the lake). Had 3 strikes, and iced one (14"), using a buzz bomb and smelts. Fished about 9:30-12:30...maybe a little less (had to get back to Calgary for afternoon). Gorgeous day, and roads were fine on the way down.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Mustn't have been in the right spot. Buddy of mine who didn't come with me yesterday was there, in our spot (thank you GPS ) and he managed to get 3 on the ice. Not sure if its the spot, technique or the lure but we always have luck there.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM

alacringa where were you fishing
Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Driftwood -- right out in the middle. There was someone out there by themselves just to the South of me, and a couple of real nice guys just off to my North (who offered the use of their gas-powered auger, but I had just gotten my workout drilling a couple of holes in the 30" + ice by hand, so was good to go).
Was one of those you?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 PM

LOL i offered to drill holes for yeah! Yeah we were there since 5 in the morning and had 2 hits that was it. Had to leave early because my car was stuck. You must of seen it at the boat launch LOL i was looking for a park spot and i ran into the snow drift! Couldn't see anything at night.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Nice fish, is that average size for Spray?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Good lookin eats there my man thx for postin up your catch and I hope you enjoyed the feast..
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Nice fish, is that average size for Spray?
They can be bigger but they are nicer than the pothole lakes usually. Usually good fun.