Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Bass Pro Grand Opening (gong show)

WOW....just got back from the grand opening...so many people. My 6th time there already

Arrived at about 5:45 and had to wait in line to park (20 minutes) then there was a line to get in but it was short, huge lineups for autographs, live entertainment, April Vokley is super hot, etc. So many people...when we left at 7:45ish it was about a 45 minute wait to park and 20 minutes in line so I overheard. Spent about $150 on summer lures, raps and stuff mostly, that were on sale. Will go back tomorrow for 8:00 am on my way to work to get my gift card, might still by that belly boat on sale for $72.00

Otherwise, good times. Glad to see all the people there and tonnes of people buying stuff. Seems like no recession going on which is good to see for them and they stick around. Still fine tuning everything, make sure you watch when they scan your sale items to make sure they are discounted.

Cheers!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 PM

I went there too at 6:15 and must have just missed the line you encountered but it was a bit too chaotic in there. I think I saw your Tahoma there in the crazy parking lot.

I need a good half day in there, I could only handle about a hour of the crowds.

Did anyone see the Toyota hatchback that tried to pretend it was a 4X4 and park in the muddy field across the parking entrance? It was buried right up to the doors. Someone was obviously a little too excited to get inside!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Was there too - first time. Too much to take in with that many people in there. Gonna be back for the rod holders and belly boat you mentioned. Picked up the Berkley Superlight combo which was a pretty good deal. Gonna need lots more trips What I really noticed were all the small displays of vintage fishing lures, reels, and outboards. Looks like ALOT of work put in to make it an "experience".
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Ya we went there also and I saw that stupid vehicle burried up to the axles. If I had of had my truck I would have pulled them out. But I had the wife's Blazer and no tow rope.

What a zoo in there. Good prices on clothing.

No way was I going to wait for hours to go see Mantracker though. Their sounds system was pathetic. They had a few Eastern bass tournament fisherman there saying something on the microphone. All I could hear was WA, WA, WA bla, bla, bla. Not even audible. It sounded like the teacher on the Peanuts comic.

I was sadly dissapointed in the fly fishing area. Being a fly tier I thought I'd pick up a few hooks and some 1/8th gold beads. Only had one package of the Tiemco hooks I was looking for. So I bought it. They had no 1/8th gold beads. I asked about tunsten beads. The guy behind the counter didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Sad, truely sad. Fishtales and the other shops that carry fly fishing equipment and tying supplies have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Yes, I've heard that about the fly area. I think it will get better though. Give it some time. I'm no fly fisher so I can't comment, haven't even been over there except to walk through to get fudge.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Well, I too was there tonight. 45 (blanking) minutes from the Balsac corner to the parking lot It was definitely a gong show, looked at a few new bows and some other stuff that I don't really need - nothing to get excited about ( price wise ). I'll be back in the AM to have a closer look with out so many people bumping into me.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Was there tonight also , was packed with people. best part was the deer mounts. Unfricknbelivable....... What would you do for a deer like this ??

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...m/Bass%20Shop/

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 PM

I made my second trip down today as well. Spent way too much money this time!!!! I was looking forward to meeting some of the celeb's but I was under the impression that they were going to be there all day not just after 6:00. I got down there first thing this morning and it was great........only a few people in the store.

I have to say this is by far the best outdoor store that I have ever seen when it comes to customer service. Seems like alot of the staff are retired people that are going back to work as a hobby (in the fishing department anyways). Its nice to see staff that will stand around and BS about the one that got away rather than just try to sell you something. Very knowlegable people in their fishing department as well. We had one staff member do a demo on a couple of different braided lines, how they spool on different reels, how to tie a knot in spiderwire etc.

As for their selection of equipment it is already great IMO. I was looking for a specific GLoomis spinning rod and I asked one of the guys if he had one. Lucky for my VISA he didn't but he told me that they still haven't recieved their major shipments on most of the rods yet!!! Acording to him there will be two full rows of GLoomis & St Croix rods plus another full row of jus Shimano stuff.

Going to need a second job
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
What would you do for a deer like this ??

Whatever it takes - get it on the ground first, run up to it as fast as you can, if he tries to get up .......... tackle him and have a rolling death match on the ground. Whoever gets up first is the winner !!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalius View Post
Whatever it takes - get it on the ground first, run up to it as fast as you can, if he tries to get up .......... tackle him and have a rolling death match on the ground. Whoever gets up first is the winner !!
LOL They are a little bigger than that pike you tangled with man. But after seeing the form tackle you made on it , I would love to see that....

Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Was back this morning...arrived at about 7:40 and was 150 or so in line. Only got $5 gift card but the guy a couple behind me got $50. A little tackle box as well, nothing special. Will have to go back tomorrow and get my "limited edition lure" LOL.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Default bps

how busy was it this morning?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Just a note My arm still hurts... After seeing them racks I was drooling. Told the guy "Them are some nice racks. But I have a nicer set I would trade ya" he says " Sure I would love to see them" So I pointed to my wife "Right there". He agreed but lets just say the wife has a hell of a left hook..... Note to self "Cant trade wife"

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

It was busy enough. About 3-400 in line, and by the time i left at 8:30 1000 people were through.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

I was 3rd in line and we got there @ 5 lol. Nice guys we stood with. We got a $5 and a $10 card
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Just a note My arm still hurts... After seeing them racks I was drooling. Told the guy "Them are some nice racks. But I have a nicer set I would trade ya" he says " Sure I would love to see them" So I pointed to my wife "Right there". He agreed but lets just say the wife has a hell of a left hook..... Note to self "Cant trade wife"
You're lucky she didn't follow up with a right J. I'm sure mine would have...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

4th in line - first chick through the door
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM

What is the best time to be there without the crowds? I am coming down from Edmonton to visit family and thought we would go Friday to check it out. Was hoping to be there when they open so we didn't have to fight the crowds. But you guys are saying 3-400 people in line!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
What is the best time to be there without the crowds? I am coming down from Edmonton to visit family and thought we would go Friday to check it out. Was hoping to be there when they open so we didn't have to fight the crowds. But you guys are saying 3-400 people in line!!!
If you are looking to avoid lines I don't think Friday is the day you want to go. It's a holiday for many.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Just don't show up early. If you come during the day, the place is the size of 2-3 walmarts and the fire code was preventing people from going in last night. But the count is really high, thousands i'm sure, so there shouldn't be any lines anymore expect early in the morning with people showing up for the free stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
I was 3rd in line and we got there @ 5 lol. Nice guys we stood with. We got a $5 and a $10 card
Except you could have showed up at 7:40 and still got the coupon.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Maybe we will skip the plan of being there when the doors open and show up an hour or so later after the inital crowd has made there way in. Being a long weekend I am sure Friday, Saturday and Sunday will all be the same crowd wise. I could wait till the end of the month when I am coming back but what fun would that be. Need to get some new gear for the open water season.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 PM

I went back again tonight at 6pm and it was VERY civilized. Tons of room to walk around, look and try out stuff (ie, shooting gallery). Not sure about tomorrow as it's a holiday but I don't think we'll see the crowds like on Tuesday again.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 AM

If Sunday was any indication of what this weekend will be like there where 1500 people and hour going throught the turnstyles
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 PM

April Vokey. So hot.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Went there today

It was really busy, but could not imaginewhat it was like on the 7th. One of the employee's said there were 10,500 people through that day! By far the best outdoors store I have ever been in, it was so amazing, thought I was going to need some oxygen! Met Dave Mercer who was an incredibly nice guy, watched his seminar at noon then he came and talked to us afterwards, he knew that we didnt get a t-shirt when he was throwing them, so he told us to follow him and pick out any hat we wanted off the shelf, he went and cleared it or whatever they do, then he autographed them both for us and bs'd about fishing. What a great time. I was there from 9:30am till 4:00pm and didnt even look through the hunting section.

Alot of things on sale sold out already which was a bummer as we drove down from GP, no Carrotstix rods, the guy told me they only had about a dozen when they started....... Staff was really great, too bad this place was'nt closer but oh well. Alot more thing there I would like to buy.

Have to agree about the fly shop, hopefully they have more stuff coming in.