Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Good weekend of fishing/camping and enoying the nice weather

Went camping this weekend to Burnstick. Had a nice walk in lake front campsite where we could dock the boat. Had nice weather, golfed Caroline district golf course, $16 for 9 holes! That's my kinda price. Put boat in water about 7:00 Friday night, burned up and down the lake a few times, did some trolling and caught this sucker on a red and white.

A couple more in the same area, all about the same size, just under or just over legal size (63 cm).

A pic of the view from our campsite.

Saturday afternoon it was time to get serious. Here's the dog watching the fish finder and the GPS as we're navigating to the "spot".

Did some more trolling, no luck with red and white or any spoons, threw on a couple of rapala's and the fish poured in. Caught about 5 in the same spot, trolling. All were just under legal size except one...the dog tried to bite it and the fish freaked and it snaped my line and took my lucky rapala while I was trying to get it off

Sunday morning tried a new spot, saw lots of boats heading to that area so I figured I'd check it out. Went in there and hammered them from 9 - 11 am. Probably 10 pike, 1 walleye and 2 perch.

Biggest of the weekend, 76 cm (probably about 5 lbs)

Walleye I caught first cast. That was a surprise. About 48 cms but nice and fat.

Then I caught this perch on the perch rapala. It was a nice perch! Couldn't believe it. Saw something following the lure right by the boat, and as I just was saying the the wife, all there a little guy following it, I stop reeling and the perch grabbed the tail. When I pulled it out of the water, I almost fell over in shock.

The pike stopped biting around 11, I through a walleye crankbait on, one of my favorites. Just as I said, ok time to go home, caught this perch right at the boat again. It's the biggest I've caught in Alberta. Weighed 1 lb 2 oz, almost 13" fat momma.

All fish were released except the perch that we had for supper.

I hope everyone had a good weekend too.

Cheers.

Last edited by nicemustang; 06-14-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Looks like you had a great weekend man congrats. Had me a Perch feast as well. Thanks to the nets @ Sundance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Had a pretty good weekend too. Tried fly fishing for walleye with some big streamers and leaches that I tied up this week. Not too much luck; just a couple bites in the hour that I was fishing. I was mostly getting used to throwing big flies. After that I went and played some paintball. All in all, a good weekend!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up

Looks like y'all had a fun weekend; gotta luv a good multi-species lake!
MMMMMM-MMMM...perch for supper....
Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 PM

where exactly is burnstick???i'd love to go to a lake with such a diverse selection..
Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 PM

Nice work Mustang!! Looks like a great weekend! Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM

Default NiceMustang...

Just curious as to the quality of the boat launch and if there's much to look out for (submerged islands and stuff...) in that lake ? Was thinking about heading up there sometime in the next week or two.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Just curious as to the quality of the boat launch and if there's much to look out for (submerged islands and stuff...) in that lake ? Was thinking about heading up there sometime in the next week or two.
The boat launch is OK, not the greatest but there is a nice gravel side and a concrete side. The concrete section is narrow, but it works. When you launch, it is really shallow until you get out of the bay (2-3 feet to 6 feet), then you are OK. As far as the whole lake goes, there isn't a problem with anything to worry about. On the far end there is an island, but you can't really get there anyway nor would you in boat, has lots of tree stumps sticking out as such. Fishing is good all over, but you need a boat to get them. Not sure if shore fishing anywhere would amount to anything.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM

You can just google Burnstick, it's on the map. You need a boat to catch fish here. Fish in the shallow weed beds and lily pads.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the update and great picks
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 AM

nice pics, didn't think the pike were any size there . Looks like you did pretty good.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Nice pics. Looks like a good spot.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM

One fellow in a boat near me caught a very nice pike, heard them saying it was 9 lbs on the scale. They kept it, but who know what it was. Looked big from my boat. Also someone else said they caught an 8 lb walleye this spring. 0 limit on walleye though in this lake.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Looks to be not a bad weekend , nice work . I love how that perch took a crank bait . I was just talking with my buddy just the other day about that . Anyway thanks for sharing .