Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Net fishing (whitefish) this weekend

Hey All,

Here on my home lake (Lake Lenore, SK) we are doing the annual net fishing for whitefish this weekend. I will share some facts on netting, the process and outcome through some pictures. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know.

Every year in december residents in a 25 km radius are allowed to purchase a net fishing license. Cost is $10 and a $10 membership fee. This allows you to put in 2 nets. There are roughly 120-140 members each year with a average of 80% showing up to net. This is all closely run/relegated by Sask fish and game and the local conservation officiers. We net either the second or third week in December, ice conditions depending. There is 12" of ice already so we are doing it this weekend. We net in a predesignated area of the lake decided years ago by fish and game folks which is close to the natural spawing area. The fish have already finished spawning. We set nets Friday morning, pull Saturday, reset and pull Sunday although there are lots of groups that only doing one pull or if you get enough fish you usally quit as well. Most guys use a 100' net that is 8' or 10' wide. Game fish (pike and walleye) that can't be released alive are kept and turned over to the F&W officers. Those are donated in various ways...school programs, seniors, old folks homes, local food banks, etc.

Heres a rough snapshot of the last 5 years stats:

2010: 11,289 kg caught, average 131 per net, 1.227 kg average size, 195 game fish (pike/walleye)
2009: 9,990 kg caught, average 101 per net, 1.001 kg average size, 210 game fish
2008: 7,888 kg caught, average 87 per net, 0.889 kg average size, 75 game fish
2007: 8,923 kg caught, average 92 per net, 0.985 kg average size, 135 game fish
2006: 8,245 kg caught, average 104 per net, 0.736 kg average suze, 203 game fish

There are a lot of factors that change the fishing every year. Weather, timing, water temp, spawing dates etc. Averages are way up though every year so it is clear that the net fishing isn't hurting this fishery.

Comments, questions?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

The game fish total are a season total not a per net total correct?

Do you know the ratio of whites to game fish caught roughly? 10:1, 20:1?

LC
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The game fish total are a season total not a per net total correct?

Do you know the ratio of whites to game fish caught roughly? 10:1, 20:1?

LC
I don't like it. Nothing mentioned about smoking whites and dropping by for some perch fishing...and discussing the taste of the whites...that are smoked...from the netting...that you brought with you...from your lake...that were netted...

I don't believe in netting fish...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM

The totals of all whitefish caught during that weekend. Everything gets counted and weighed before it leaves the lake. So for example, our group put in 5 nets last year, we caught 835 fish in one pulling (overnight) for an average of 167 per net. Average size arond 5.5 lbs which make it hard to get out....too big to go out forward and a pain to get them out backwards... Because it was so cold the last few years is why the game fish numbers have been high because they freeze easily before they can be released. I think we had about 8 walleye and 6 pike if I remember, all but 2 of ours went back safely.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Oh ya...one more thing. We donate 300-400 fish to the annual town smoker, where we have a party to celebrate the new year and smoke fish at a caberet.

And if anyone wants any let me know and I can bring some up in the new year.

And another fun fact. Once a perch was caught in the net. Think about how big IT was. Was easily a SK record but doesn't count under angling records. I can't rememer how big it was though.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM

sounds like a whole lot of smoked fish! I noticed they were netting Newell this year during the spawning season, unless they hadnt started yet. Got some still full of eggs weekend before last, maybe Alberta should pay attention. Dont think it was fish we were smoking last cabaret I went to, but for some reason I cant remember much about that night

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Hey nicemustang, always been curious about the numbers for netting. Turtle Lake and Jackfish closer to my stomping grounds also have commercial netting fisheries, and was always interested in how that worked.

On a side note, did the mercury advisory for Lenore apply to whitefish, or just pike/walleye? Just curious if that's still an issue for the lake? Most people won't eat enough fish to ever really be concerned either way.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM

It's just for walleye and pike as far as I know.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 AM

Smile

Just always wondered how do you get the net 100 feet over to the next hole? I'd hate to be the one that draws the short straw that day. Oh by the way Rob you get to swim the 100 feet this year. Yikes.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 AM

know that lake well. did the net fishing thing to. one hell of a good time is all i can say
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=AngusMacHuge;1193633]Hey nicemustang, always been curious about the numbers for netting. Turtle Lake and Jackfish closer to my stomping grounds also have commercial netting fisheries, and was always interested in how that worked.

Jackfish opens up when there is enough ice to accommodate people going on the lake. It is open for a number of days or till the quota of the lake has been reached. When I was there 2 weeks ago (I hunt there every year) it opened and my Ma & Pa did a one day netting with 2 nets, caught 152 whites and 12 suckers. They just take enough for themselves and the 10 or 12 orders from the other locals that cannot afford to buy from the store and I get 2 for the smoker
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Default why not fish like the rest of us!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Hey All,

Here on my home lake (Lake Lenore, SK) we are doing the annual net fishing for whitefish this weekend. I will share some facts on netting, the process and outcome through some pictures. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know.

Every year in december residents in a 25 km radius are allowed to purchase a net fishing license. Cost is $10 and a $10 membership fee. This allows you to put in 2 nets. There are roughly 120-140 members each year with a average of 80% showing up to net. This is all closely run/relegated by Sask fish and game and the local conservation officiers. We net either the second or third week in December, ice conditions depending. There is 12" of ice already so we are doing it this weekend. We net in a predesignated area of the lake decided years ago by fish and game folks which is close to the natural spawing area. The fish have already finished spawning. We set nets Friday morning, pull Saturday, reset and pull Sunday although there are lots of groups that only doing one pull or if you get enough fish you usally quit as well. Most guys use a 100' net that is 8' or 10' wide. Game fish (pike and walleye) that can't be released alive are kept and turned over to the F&W officers. Those are donated in various ways...school programs, seniors, old folks homes, local food banks, etc.

Heres a rough snapshot of the last 5 years stats:

2010: 11,289 kg caught, average 131 per net, 1.227 kg average size, 195 game fish (pike/walleye)
2009: 9,990 kg caught, average 101 per net, 1.001 kg average size, 210 game fish
2008: 7,888 kg caught, average 87 per net, 0.889 kg average size, 75 game fish
2007: 8,923 kg caught, average 92 per net, 0.985 kg average size, 135 game fish
2006: 8,245 kg caught, average 104 per net, 0.736 kg average suze, 203 game fish

There are a lot of factors that change the fishing every year. Weather, timing, water temp, spawing dates etc. Averages are way up though every year so it is clear that the net fishing isn't hurting this fishery.

Comments, questions?
This is why lots of our lakes have no more fish in it. this should not be allowed.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Obviously it can sustain that kind of harvest if its legal and monitored, but I just don't understand the need to net fish, its not like the people need the fish to feed their families. And I surely don't understand what is to be gained by posting this on an Alberta website where we can barley keep a meal of Walleye.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

The point is that we regularaly have p i s sing matches over white fish netting. Nice being a well thought of expat of the this board wanted to provide first hand experience, and the perspecive that it provides.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
Obviously it can sustain that kind of harvest if its legal and monitored, but I just don't understand the need to net fish, its not like the people need the fish to feed their families. And I surely don't understand what is to be gained by posting this on an Alberta website where we can barley keep a meal of Walleye.
Because nicemustang is a long time forum member who has fished alot in alberta and has passed on knowledge to alot of people here. I find it interesting and am lookin forward to pictures.

To those saying this is why lakes have no fish in it....... Explain why they see averages of 5lb fish every year then? remember Sask isnt alberta. ALOT more lakes, ALOT less fishing pressure (even if you include they're netting activities). I can see several benefits to doing this in a water system. Dont feel like listing them right now though. maybe later.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48 AM

I'm all for the facts and frankly don't really care what happens where as long as it's legal, but posting this sort of info brews mostly negative discussions.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I'm all for the facts and frankly don't really care what happens where as long as it's legal, but posting this sort of info brews mostly negative discussions.
Quote:
People jumping the gun and making BS posts without knowing all facts also brews negative comments.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum...
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Deleted post..... Im trying to learn to play nice ......
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM

wow..people come on and blatantly trash this type of fishery and I'm the one who gets jumped on by asking the merit of the whole discussion .. classy bunch
Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Sometimes -especially when new to the forums- it is best to back read posts of the poster,,, Nicemusings has been on awhile and though he may come off as a bit of a snork in them he knows his stuffings.

Take a breather,,, think of a cool blue ocean, actually say "Cooool Bluuuue Ocean,,, Soffft Greeeen Meadow", deep breath (paperbag optional),,, there,, how do you feel?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Sometimes -especially when new to the forums- it is best to back read posts of the poster,,, Nicemusings has been on awhile and though he may come off as a bit of a snork in them he knows his stuffings.

Take a breather,,, think of a cool blue ocean, actually say "Cooool Bluuuue Ocean,,, Soffft Greeeen Meadow", deep breath (paperbag optional),,, there,, how do you feel?
This one gets my vote as best post of the year. Thanks GM I almost pi ssed my pants reading this one. Breath deeply now.

I still want to know how the hell they get the net out a hundred feet. anyone have an answer?

Cheers,
Rob
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
jrs

You run the nets using something called a jigger. the new electric ones are pretty cool, ive use a classic one. Basically claws its way under the ice and is controlled by pulling on a rope. No swimming neccesary..
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM

The average weight has gone up over half a kilo since 2006. I'll bet the overall health condition of the whitefish has increased as well.

Good work. Keep it up. And don't listen to the naysayers! They know not what they speak!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Yeah great post, I always love seeing the numbers.

Very cool to see the by-catch is so low. The time and place must be dialed right in.

Do you deliver?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
This one gets my vote as best post of the year. Thanks GM I almost pi ssed my pants reading this one. Breath deeply now.

I still want to know how the hell they get the net out a hundred feet. anyone have an answer?

Cheers,
Rob
Like this!! Its a lot harder with some snow and thick ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1PD7eVwp8

Great thread.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Like this!! Its a lot harder with some snow and thick ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1PD7eVwp8

Great thread.
that was cool. thank you for posting
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
that was cool. thank you for posting
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Smile

That was a cool video. I never knew that jigger thing even existed.
Thanks Dean

Rob