Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Default Any Newell reports?

We're going to be camping there this weekend, it's been a long time since I've been to Newell in the summer. How's the fishing been? What's the water temp? What colors or lures have been working?

If anyone wants to share some info by post or PM, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM

We were at Newell this past weekend... Really hot.... On friday we only caught 6 pike, 2 of them were about 5 lbs. Satutrday, we went out and found midlake humps and marked them on the gps, so we didn't fish much but Danni caught a pike and I caught a 4 lbs 58cm wally. Again it's about the 5th walleye over 50cm we've had to throw back. Big Tags for Next year!!!
We have only caught 1 fish under 50 at Newell this year. The water temp was 69 F in the morning to 72 F in the evening.

We trolled bottom bouncers over the humps. We have only fished there 3 times so we, don't have a ton of info to share.

Also make sure you reserve a campsite, there are no first come first serve. If they are full, keep trying everyday, as i didn't get a reservation until Wednesday of last week.

Anyone on the board, have a boat full of water Sunday morning, we didn't make it out because it was too rough, but do not leave your boat tied up to shore as i went to the launch Sunday morning and every boat was full of water and sitting on the bottom.

Dustin
Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Good tips. Yeah we have class b tags, hope to get a couple. 4 of us camping and we have 12 tags. I find that lake easier to fish in the winter because of the wind LOL. We have 2 sites reserved. We are in I139 and I141 (I think) if anyone wants to stop by.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM

fished there a week ago wednesday. caught about 15 walleye or so. one beauty about 7lbs. mostly spinners and some on a slow death hook with a chunk of crawler. fished the mid lake humps and deep! 32+ft.... bring them in real slow and they'll release fine. it was hot and calm. water was 66.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Good good, keep them coming....Fish are holding on the mid lake structure, as I suspected in mid-day. I'll assume anywhere from 15-40 feet then? What about at dusk? Were they staying at the same places?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM

I'd appreciate any other reports or tips on spots that can produce. Heading there tomorrow morning. Stop by the site and say hi if anyone is near by.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm heading to Newell this weekend as well.
Does anyone know if they rent canoes or anything out there? I don't have a boat, so I'll likely be fishing from shore, unless they rent canoes.
Will I have any luck fishing from shore, or is a boat pretty much necessary?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Newell

I have seen guys catch pike off of the point at the boat launch not sure about the walleye.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

I don't have any walleye tags anyway. I don't really care what I catch, as long as I catch something.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Fishing was pretty decent. Had some boat issues, so we had to paddle out to the point/drop off and fish, then paddle back. Not the worst thing in the world, we caught quite a few fish Saturday morning in 20-22 FOW. Every pike caught was over legal size with a couple of them pushing 6-8 lbs. Had trouble catching smaller walleye though. Landed at lease a dozen Sat morning and Sat evening (from shore), most were well over 50 cms. I did manage to get two eyes to fill 2 of my 3 class B tags, my wife was skunked on walleye and the couple we were with only caught big walleye. Friday night from shore had two monsters on, on I think was a pike and broke my pickeral rig and lost a 5lb + walleye right at shore. Saturday night was lots of wind and thunder/lightning storm, never had any bites Sunday morning. HOT HOT HOT, 34 degrees Sat afternoon. very busy at the lake. Fishing was good from shore after most of the sea-dooers ski boats went in, from 9-11. Pickeral rigs and minnows.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Good report

nicemustang

Thanks for the excellent report, too bad about the boat issues. I ended up with some boat issues at Pigeon on the weekend but still caught plenty of fish on jigs and minnows. Had my 9yr old and her friend out with me and boy did they have fun. They pulled in 15 fish each in about 35-40 minutes and the one girl had never fished before so she had a blast. Heading up to Newell on the 12th of Aug for a few days so your report was nice to see.

Thanks again
Russ C
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Mustang - thanks for the report, great you filled some tags!

I think when I went (early june) it was still too early / water too cold, no eyes at all, but a couple of pike.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM

I'm glad someone caught something on Saturday because the fishing on Sunday was not that good - at least for us. We fought the wind (it came up around 8:30 am and lasted all day) while we trolled around the mid lake humps and other spots that have historically produced good sizes of walleyes for us. We only managed 12 small pike and only 1 small walleye all day. We got tiered of fighting the wind and packed it in about 3 pm.

Good fishing!

KJPFISH
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Yeah, according to what i've read in books, thunder really freaks out walleye for a few days. Plus the pressure drastically reduced about 1:00 am, my legs could feel it. Was expecting that kind of fishing Sunday morning. We fished from shore 8:30 to 10:30 and yeah the wind was wicked...

That is a big lake. I only got to cruise over one hump and caught a couple of big pike. Then wanted to try another when the boat had trouble. Will definitely go back. Water was warm and Friday night and saturday morning it was like glass. Too much action on Sat night to be glass but fishing from the shore don't matter.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Default report

Awsome report NM...good to hear, the fishing was good. I've never been to Newell before, and was wondering if there is plenty of shore fishing space, like a dam, or a canal? always wanted to check it out, but would like to have a little info before I do the drive there... thx MAG

ps...do you think leeches would be worth trying there for walleye, I have used them for years... but mostly in MB.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM

As far as shore fishing goes, only tried one spot, probably lots of others as that lake is huge. We just fished off the stone/rock break that protects the boat launch, as far out as you can toss it. Don't know about leeches...I rarely use them because they cost too much money and usually have just as much luck with minnow or worms. A big bag of smelt is $4 that is a least 5 tubs of minnows worth, so if the bite is on use smelt. Usually what I do and unless I'm plan on bottom bouncing, I don't take leeches.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
fished the mid lake humps and deep! 32+ft.... bring them in real slow and they'll release fine.
Lake trout are the only fish in Alberta that can release pressure from their air bladder and benefit from bringing them in slowly. Walleye must reabsorb the air from their air bladder so unless you took a couple hours to bring them in, it really doesn't make much difference. Hooking mortality definitely goes up when water temperatures are high and walleye are caught in deep water. Best to avoid really deep water and if not, release the fish quickly.