Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Default Hey Alison we aren't all Morons!

EDMONTON - Premier Alison Redford on Wednesday defended the decision to collect $2,700 from each Progressive Conservative MLA to repay the $194,000 earned by Tory members of the infamous no-meet committee.

In August, Redford’s office announced that every PC MLA who sat on the committee had repaid or made plans to repay the money, but did not reveal that those committee members would be reimbursed by caucus colleagues.

Redford rebuffed questions about why the governing party kept those details quiet.

“It wasn’t disclosed or not disclosed,” Redford said. “We made a decision as a caucus during the election to take the approach that we did, to be committed to paying all of that back, and as a caucus we decided to do it.”

Redford said the caucus understood that MLAs on the committee received funds through the existing MLA pay process, and that

she is “pleased that we’ve been able to completely pay back every single dollar and that we did that together jointly.

“I’m really proud of the team for doing it,” Redford said. “I think it does reflect all of our values and I think I’m satisfied with the outcome.”

The “no-meet” committee controversy started in January after it was revealed that 21 MLAs on the all-party committee were paid at least $1,000 a month, even though the committee hadn’t met since 2008.

MLAs from other parties pledged to pay back the money but Redford called the repayments a political “stunt.” The move angered Albertans and the Tories plunged in the pre-election polls.

On March 29, days into the spring provincial election campaign, Redford ordered Tory MLAs to pay back “every penny” or be punted from caucus.

In late August, Redford’s communication staff made available letters that proved the Tory committee members had paid or arranged to pay back the money they earned while sitting on the committee.

On Tuesday, it was revealed that those MLAs were reimbursed by their caucus colleagues, all 61 of whom were asked to contribute $2,700 to the caucus social fund for that purpose.

Wildrose critic Bruce McAllister noted that nine Tory MLAs who sat on the committee will keep more than $162,000 they received “for doing nothing.

“This must be what passes for accountability in the PC caucus – a behind-closed-doors shell game that absolves these members of their obligation to return to taxpayers money they did not earn,” McAllister said in a statement.

“We are calling on these members to personally accept responsibility for their actions, return the money they personally received, and stop relying on others to bail them out.”

The decision to collect the money was made at a Tory caucus meeting at the suggestion of the party whip.

The move was an attempt to address lingering caucus tensions surrounding the reimbursements, which required some MLAs to come up with as much as $32,000 to fulfil Redford’s election promise, while others paid nothing.

Those who received the money argued in part that they did not choose to sit on the committee — they were all appointed — and that they were unwitting victims of an MLA compensation system that was too convoluted for regular Albertans to understand.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz28C8wKNYX
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Well.. if the system is to convoluted for us regular folk to understand, but the pigs at the trough can understand it, we should have got rid of said pigs!!!....too convoluted for regular Albertans!!!???....I hope everyone is happy that voted for the Queen of Scheme,...it's only going to get worse.... MY GAWD!!!!!!!...has anyone other than Grey noticed how quiet Okie is??????
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Boy, if I was a member of the caucus I would be pizzed that I had to pay for the other idiots greed.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM

You don't have to be a member, its your money, and mine, and everyone else's money she is using
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Boy, if I was a member of the caucus I would be pizzed that I had to pay for the other idiots greed.
I can pretty much guarantee you, they will get that back in spades...the trick will be to find out from where.....SAD.......
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Of course she thinks that most Albertans are morons, they voted her in didn't they?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you, they will get that back in spades...the trick will be to find out from where.....SAD.......
x1000 !!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Ib4tidvfh :d

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM

I didn't vote for her lol
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
you swearing again?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
In Before The I Didn't Vote For Her

She's peeing her panties laughing at pulling the wool over all the people that voted her in. Just another liberal at the trough telling the ignorant masses what they want to hear, with no intention of following through.

Filling their pockets with both hands while they're talking out of both sides of their mouth telling the believers they have their best interests in mind. Hilarious. It's just too bad the rest of us have to pay for the voting habits of the believers.

Last edited by rugatika; 10-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
you swearing again?
leeaspell got me; and what did you mean by swearing again? I don't swear here in the first place. At the wheel I've got a serious case of Tourettes, but keep her clean on AO

(innuendo excluded)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
leeaspell got me; and what did you mean by swearing again? I don't swear here in the first place. At the wheel I've got a serious case of Tourettes, but keep her clean on AO

(innuendo excluded)
Looked like a curse.....that woman is nothing but a disgrace and needs to get hit by a bus!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Well.. if the system is to convoluted for us regular folk to understand, but the pigs at the trough can understand it, we should have got rid of said pigs!!!....too convoluted for regular Albertans!!!???....I hope everyone is happy that voted for the Queen of Scheme,...it's only going to get worse.... MY GAWD!!!!!!!...has anyone other than Grey noticed how quiet Okie is??????
Queen of Scheme, is that a hal53ism?

Love it.

I did not vote for her. But it is sad when a premiere plays the people of the province for stooges. She is out of control and unfortunately, Albertans are going to pay for it.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Looked like a curse.....that woman is nothing but a disgrace and needs to get hit by a bus!
Yup ........ the one with the duallies !!!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Default corporatocracy

People are slowly waking up to the fact that we have illusion of choice or democracy. It does not matter what color of tie or scarf the elected wear they are all the same. When it comes to interacting with the public they all practice and are skilled at buggery, but then again some people LIKE that .The elected get their orders from the large corporations and banks , not us the electorate , as has been demonstrated time and time again. We are told what we want to hear , just like any good salesperson .
IMHO

Last edited by cover; 10-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cover View Post
People are slowly waking up to the fact that we have illusion of choice or democracy. It does not matter what color of tie or scarf the elected wear they are all the same. When it comes to interacting with the public they all practice and are skilled at buggery, but then again some people LIKE that .The elected get their orders from the large corporations and banks , not us the electorate , as has been demonstrated time and time again. We are told what we want to hear , just like any good salesperson .
IMHO
Well said.:
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Queen of Scheme, is that a hal53ism?

Love it.

I did not vote for her. But it is sad when a premiere plays the people of the province for stooges. She is out of control and unfortunately, Albertans are going to pay for it.
We are paying and will continue to pay until someone in gov't speaks up and tells us we are and have been scandalized , deceived and debauched since recorded history. Inform us that we are all enslaved , but we are to busy working to pay our taxes to notice. And with those tax dollars they can scheme and dream new and innovative ways to keep us divided , not united.

But I ask how likely is that to happen ? Ask yourself why do retired politicians have such a unbelievable retirement deal ? Silence.(Oath of office). It is difficult for any politician to keep their mouth shut. Except when they are being paid to do so.

Thank-you for your attention. End of rant.