Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Question Minnewanka Lakers

Just looking for some feedback on lake Minnewanka. Thinking about getting my parks fishing license this spring just for that lake, would love to get a few lakers. want to know what the average size that comes out is and how hard it may be to get a few. anyone who has fished this lake or has any info to share, I would appreciate some comments. I know there are some lunkers in there, but would imagine they are few and far between.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 10-11-2014, 11:21 AM

There are a lot of nice lakers in Minne, catching them is a challenge. Best bet is to fish the shallows in the early season.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
There are a lot of nice lakers in Minne, catching them is a challenge. Best bet is to fish the shallows in the early season.
Yea I figured that would likely be the case, thanks for the reply.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 AM

super easy lake to fish , especially in June and july, average laker is around 5lbs, have caught them as big as 25lbs, bring a fly rod with you, fish 10-50 ft of water, later in the season move out to 80-120 ft. tube jigs work great, bring a large assortment of colors
Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 AM

I fish Minny at least 2 or 3 days a week in mid May to June and I do not think it is a super easy lake to fish.

Have had many a day where I caught a limit of skunks as well as some spectacular days with the lakers.

Stay shallow as long as water temp is below 52 F. then they go deep. Most then switch to down riggers but a few of the guides still stick with the jig, a white tube remember no lead, must be lead free hooks. Hard to find but the fishn hole usually has a few on hand.

Early on I have had good luck with larger fish at the far end on the lake in 18 to 25 FOW but be mindful if the wind comes up It can be an exciting boat ride back to the docks.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Minnewanka is a unique fishery, in that we are very fortunate to have an excellent lake trout fishery in such close proximity to a major city (1 1/2 hr from Calgary). Factor in the good parking, boat launch, guide services, rental boat opportunities and the outstanding scenery there, and it makes for an outstanding day excursion.

It's also unique in that Canada's national parks still make an exception in permitting people to fish at all! You are not permitted to pick berries or take home a stick, stone or antler you find in the park - yet you're able to catch and kill native fish. Many, including some park biologists, would like to see fishing totally banned in our parks, and the current park ban on motorized watercraft extended to include Minnewanka. If Minnewanka's laker population was under stress in any way, Parks Canada would shut down the fishery in a heartbeat.

Minnewanka's lakers can definitely be vulnerable to over harvest at times, particularly in the spring when in shallow water. Please come out and take advantage of the fishery and fully enjoy the entire day experience - perhaps include a hike, other area attractions or Banff or Canmore's shopping and museums. But once you figure out Minnewanka's lakers, please don't treat this fishery like a grocery store - hitting it hard and repeatedly to fill a freezer. Appreciate and pursue the experience of all this backyard gem has to offer, and you'll help perpetuate both the lakers, and parks permission to pursue them!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Minnewanka is a unique fishery, in that we are very fortunate to have an excellent lake trout fishery in such close proximity to a major city (1 1/2 hr from Calgary). Factor in the good parking, boat launch, guide services, rental boat opportunities and the outstanding scenery there, and it makes for an outstanding day excursion.

It's also unique in that Canada's national parks still make an exception in permitting people to fish at all! You are not permitted to pick berries or take home a stick, stone or antler you find in the park - yet you're able to catch and kill native fish. Many, including some park biologists, would like to see fishing totally banned in our parks, and the current park ban on motorized watercraft extended to include Minnewanka. If Minnewanka's laker population was under stress in any way, Parks Canada would shut down the fishery in a heartbeat.

Minnewanka's lakers can definitely be vulnerable to over harvest at times, particularly in the spring when in shallow water. Please come out and take advantage of the fishery and fully enjoy the entire day experience - perhaps include a hike, other area attractions or Banff or Canmore's shopping and museums. But once you figure out Minnewanka's lakers, please don't treat this fishery like a grocery store - hitting it hard and repeatedly to fill a freezer. Appreciate and pursue the experience of all this backyard gem has to offer, and you'll help perpetuate both the lakers, and parks permission to pursue them!
Thumper, thanks for the info I couldn't agree with you more! As far as keeping the lakers I would be just catch and release fishing. Not that I don't eat fish but I rarely keep any for the dinner table. If I did it would be a Walleye, I prefer them over any trout or salmon. More less would just like to catch a few of those lakers and enjoy the amazing scenery!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

What else is there to say. I've never fished before but I can appreciate your comments. I think I'll take your advice and enjoy it one day next year
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 AM

While I have never kept a Laker from Minni. with a limit of 2 I don't agree that it is getting any real pressure especially not from the locals. \

I did see however this past season many a time the guides cleaning fish on the docks for their customers. This from the guys who advertise catch and release.

While I don't fish the weekends I never see a lot of boat traffic so cannot really comment on over fishing. A busy day would be no more than a dozen boats and that is not a lot on a lake that size.

Me thinks you are a little over protective of a lake close to your home. That is a good thing for sure but with the fishing best in the first few weeks of the season and most only able to fish the weekends I don't think there is any cause for alarm. By July when they go deep not too many will spend the whole day with downriggers.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM

I don't think there's currently 'cause for alarm' either. But I know of some individuals that hit Minnewanka hard and often during the spring to stockpile a stack of lakers to last the summer bbq season. Not good.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 AM

If you know people doing this have you reported them? Isn't it illegal? isn;t that why we have catch and POSSESSION limits. I hear a lot of people complaining about bad thlngs everybody is doing but it seems very few do anything about it. Aren't we sportsmen and trying to help protect.

Tags
lake trout, minnewanka, parks