Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Broad heads and blood trails

Which produces a better blood trail ?

1) mechanicals
2) 4 blade fixed
3) 3 blades.

I know that having the arrow pass clean through and proper shot placement is probably the most important factor but I am curious as to which type of broadhead leaves the best blood trail.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM

I don't think there is a difference in which produce better blood trails. I have seen both mechs and fixed with pass through shots on animals double lungs that have resulted in great blood trails and some none at all.

The key is RAZOR SHARP edges! Dull blades to not cut cleanly and result in blood clouts and poor to no blood trails.

Of course the bigger the hole the more blood technically speaking and if thats the case then mechanicals have the bigger cutting dias up to 2" maybe more nowdays i havn't been watching the latest crraze broadheads. Rages have 2" cutting dies in there 2 blade version.... 1 1/2 3 blade version.
Iv found that most fixed heads have cutting dias that are less then 1 1/2inches down to the minimum 7/8s required by alberta hunting regs
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Well I'm glad to see another year has past and the age old question of "what's the best broadhead is still yet to be answered." <insert sarcasm icon>

Here's my 2 cents on blood trails.

1st
The best blood trails are always found during midday, the worst ones when you shoot animals 3 minutes before legal light ends. Notice how I did not mention any broad head types, it does not matter.

2nd
RAZOR SHARP is key.

3rd
Cutting surface. The more stuff you cut, the more blood you are going to have.

4th
Shot placement. Obviously the vital zones but I find that lower shots the blood drains out better (especially on moose). Try to aim so that the arrow pass through both ribs without hitting them (good luck!)

Now for my opinion.

I love 2 blade rage on smaller big game. They leave huge entry and exit holes which allows for more blood to get out.

I like broad heads the have 4 blades as well with bleeder blades (like steel force). The long blades get the arrow into the vital zone, the short stubby ones and left shapr for maximum cutting inside.

I am a big fan of surface cutting area, the more blades or longer blades, the better I believe, as it just gives you more chance to cut.

I am also of the opinion that different broadheads for different game. I've used 2 blade expandable on moose with success, but not sure if I'll do it again. Those are big rib bones that I'm not sure the expandables can hold up to. No evidence on this yet though.

If you hunt deer you can't go wrong with Rage 2 blade expandables for blood.