Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Ice 55 flasher and clam nanook

1st day out with my new gear, my ice 55 flasher and my Nanook ice sled, couple of comments and questions, as I have never fished with flasher before was very happy with the perfromance,one question if any body can help, I was fishing 2 holes inside my tent, is there any way you can set up youre holes so youre flasher can see both lines? or does it just read the hole its in? also my Nannok dripped on me quite a bit today with my heater, I should have spent the extra $ and bought thermal one, any suggestions on how to deal with all the condensation inside? I had both vents open.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 PM

As far as the using a flasher on two holes goes , drill a third hole between the two you are fishing and drop the transducer in it as long as the holes aren't that far apart and your transducer has a wide enough cone angle it'll pick up both lines. I did this a couple times last year with a buddies flasher and it worked pretty well.

The condensation issue can be solved partially by using a small fan to circulate the air with the vents on your shelter open. Clam actually makes one that I bought for my Kenai one man shelter. It's a fan and light combo that runs on batteries , fairly inexpensive to from what I remember. I actually bought it strictly for the light but soon found the fan really handy in reducing condensation.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Make sure to use the wide angle cone on that unit. What level did you have your gain at? How are you liking your CLAM?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM

The clam is good, other than the fact its a little heavy for one guy to load back into the truck with a bad back.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Bring a terry towel for the condensation or maybe a SHAM WOW I believe even an insulated tent will still get some condensation. What I've found is that if you vent the tent enough to avoid condensation then you will also lose much of your hot air. The only other option is to get a heater with a heat exchanger so the wet combustion air doesn't enter the shelter. Not sure how this would work but it'd be interesting to try. http://zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihotvent.html
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm not an expert in thermal dynamics but I think it may have more to do with temperature differential than anything. If it's -25 outside & the heater is cranked inside making it +30 against the roof of the tent then you have a 55 degree temp differential which causes the sweating or beading. Somewhat similar to small submarines deep in the ocean & you see trickles of condensation running off the walls & fittings. My guess is that when you go out in more "civilized" weather like -10 or -15 & also have the heater set on low instead of high, you will notice little if any condensation. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Used buds new Clam Thermal Yukon when it was about -25 outside. With a Buddy Heater, there was no condensation on the top. On the sides there was minimal but crystalized to make small flakes that came off when the sides moved because of the wind.
Myself I have the Clam Nanook, Eskimo 2 Man and well as the Eskimo 1 man. With the Heater running, always expect to have condensation from the top. On another US Ice forum, members with Flip-overs have suggested to using Reflectix. Not familair with that product might be available in different sizes to accomodate your needs. They tape it right on to the tent material. Probably sold at Rona or Home Dept. I checked out the link and will have to check it out and do more mods to my Clam with Reflectix. Here's the link:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage...&pageIndex=755
Old 12-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up Pivoting Transducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
1st day out with my new gear, my ice 55 flasher and my Nanook ice sled, couple of comments and questions, as I have never fished with flasher before was very happy with the perfromance,one question if any body can help, I was fishing 2 holes inside my tent, is there any way you can set up youre holes so youre flasher can see both lines? or does it just read the hole its in? also my Nannok dripped on me quite a bit today with my heater, I should have spent the extra $ and bought thermal one, any suggestions on how to deal with all the condensation inside? I had both vents open.
Thanks in advance.
The attached photo is what I had a metal shop build a custom bracket that will pivot the transducer using a lawn mower gas throttle and at the top of the bracket is a device to turn the transducer. Last year I tested the device was and was able to find the location of fish.
I set up about 50 feet from shore and was able to scan the shallow water to see if the trout were there. I then counted the distance in paces, drilled a hole and caught fish.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pivoting Transducer.jpg (48.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
The attached photo is what I had a metal shop build a custom bracket that will pivot the transducer using a lawn mower gas throttle and at the top of the bracket is a device to turn the transducer. Last year I tested the device was and was able to find the location of fish.
I set up about 50 feet from shore and was able to scan the shallow water to see if the trout were there. I then counted the distance in paces, drilled a hole and caught fish.
Cheers
Cool idea, thanks for sharing that with us...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Not sure how this would work but it'd be interesting to try. http://zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihotvent.html
I had a dual burner Zodi Hot Vent in my 13' Boler and it put out enough heat on one burner set halfway to keep it toasty warm at -15.

I tried it once with one burner on full and it was too much - I can't imagine running it with both burners!!!

I sold the trailer but wish I had kept the heater.