Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Enchant for the third time this week

Yah I went yet again. Cold and blowing, but snug and warm in the pop up, gotta love it. Tried the middle of the pond first, deeper and not so many fish. Met Fisherwoman and her guy, and another friend. Her nickname definitely fits, gotta resepct a woman who has a tackle box in one pocket and a handful of perch in the other Again, more great people. Also a couple more guys showed up later as well, not sure if they are in the forum but they do read it.
I managed maybe 40 give or take perch, small as usual, way more close to shore than in the middle, maybe because I could watch them take the hook there. An 8 inch or so Rainbow, who went back down the hole,

and a surprise. I decided to try the fly Goldscud was using this summer there, put one on, no bait on it either. Lowered it a couple feet below the ice and nearly had the line ripped out of my hand. Got it to the top of the hole, but even tho I rammed my arm past the elbow into the cold water, it got away. Nice rainbow, must be at least second year, and 2 pounds plus. Not the 5 pounder I was told to catch by fisherwoman, but hey I tried Cold day, windy day, but lots of fun as usual. Im kinda liking this ice fishing stuff, especially with the heated tent.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Sounds like a good time on the ice as usual And it's always fun when you get a chance to meet up with some new folks from the forum

I have a few random flies I picked up around the end of last summer...no idea what most of them are, but I've been thinking about trying one or two through the ice, and seeing you have success with the fly makes me want to try it even more

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Sounds like a good time on the ice as usual And it's always fun when you get a chance to meet up with some new folks from the forum

I have a few random flies I picked up around the end of last summer...no idea what most of them are, but I've been thinking about trying one or two through the ice, and seeing you have success with the fly makes me want to try it even more
I used a prince beads head nymph I think its called. seemed to work ok for a bit. I was switching lures constantly since they were being a bit fussy, but they all worked for a while. Best was a small white wireworm with a Gulp maggot. Had a small split shot on too, and Im sure I got just as many bites on it as the hooks. frikkin fish Pretty sure we ran into a few more rainbows too but didnt hook them. Maybe after a winter with all those perch to eat some of them will get huge. I want to get out again tomorrow, but dont want to drive 2 hours to PCR in the cold so I think I may finally check out my pike spot. see if its good thru the ice too.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I used a prince beads head nymph I think its called. seemed to work ok for a bit. I was switching lures constantly since they were being a bit fussy, but they all worked for a while. Best was a small white wireworm with a Gulp maggot. Had a small split shot on too, and Im sure I got just as many bites on it as the hooks. frikkin fish Pretty sure we ran into a few more rainbows too but didnt hook them. Maybe after a winter with all those perch to eat some of them will get huge. I want to get out again tomorrow, but dont want to drive 2 hours to PCR in the cold so I think I may finally check out my pike spot. see if its good thru the ice too.
Went with Fish on and buddy to Sundance. Cold...cold...cold. Manage 3 perch in an hours fishing. Saw a few on camera but fish were moving slow.

Happy to hear you had better luck at Enchant... Man Goldscud sure did leak that place to everyone
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Went with Fish on and buddy to Sundance. Cold...cold...cold. Manage 3 perch in an hours fishing. Saw a few on camera but fish were moving slow.

Happy to hear you had better luck at Enchant... Man Goldscud sure did leak that place to everyone
Im hoping we can clean out a lot of the little ones, it would be nice if they grew some. I found quite a few with eggs in them when I cleaned them, so they are breeding in there.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Mr. Rolling Hills....may I suggest something like this.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 PM

that looks awfully like a shrimp imitation Ive been trying all sorts of things Ive had laying around gathering dust for years, and so far caught fish on all of them. not hard in there tho, but they are all fun, Im easily amused. (6 am til dark on the dock at PCR for example thanks for the heads up on this pond, all I had seen interesting there before was bikinis on the beach

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post

blah blah blah you suck
Jesus loves you

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Im hoping we can clean out a lot of the little ones, it would be nice if they grew some. I found quite a few with eggs in them when I cleaned them, so they are breeding in there.
Looks like the fishing got better closer to shore Not that I am complaining, those little perch sure are fun. I agree if a few got eaten and the others had a chance to get bigger it wouldn't be a bad thing. Like that little pond though.

That fresh water shrimp looks like it would get some action. Bet thats what all those little guys live off of.