Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind25 View Post
I had a Pike take my small ice rod, right off the holder.....down the hole it went. Drilled a few holes around the area, and dropped the camara to look around to see if i could find it. Spotted the rod on the lake bottom. Managed to snag the rod, with a big spoon. Brought the lost rod up, and still had the Pike hooked. Landed the pike.
Awesome story.
What a first thread! Welcome to the forum
We lost a small ice rod on spring lake. Musta been a big brood rainbow. Oh well. Lost a phone in an outhouse. Left her to die like a fox on the run....
Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Another reason to leave your technology at home and enjoy the outdoors. Oh and #hashtagsdontworkhere
Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 AM

I've lost a few things. First was a gerber hunting knife. Had it sitting on my lap and stood up and down she went.

A couple years ago I was out on south buck and a buddy was drilling holes with my auger because I was fresh off of acl replacement. As finished the hile and pulled the auger out only the power head came out, down went the bit in 20' of water.

We were able to create an apparatus with a tree and my marcum attached to it. We had it hooked and the hook came off our tree so we pulled it up to rebuild it stronger and Thad when my camera leaked. No more chance of getting it. Marcum did send a new camera but that didn't replace the bit. Shortly after I grabbed a 10" bit and check the screw every trip.

Last thing was my ice scoop. Someone kicked it down but luckily I carry a magnet now so that was an easy catch.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I've lost a few things. First was a gerber hunting knife. Had it sitting on my lap and stood up and down she went.

A couple years ago I was out on south buck and a buddy was drilling holes with my auger because I was fresh off of acl replacement. As finished the hile and pulled the auger out only the power head came out, down went the bit in 20' of water.

We were able to create an apparatus with a tree and my marcum attached to it. We had it hooked and the hook came off our tree so we pulled it up to rebuild it stronger and Thad when my camera leaked. No more chance of getting it. Marcum did send a new camera but that didn't replace the bit. Shortly after I grabbed a 10" bit and check the screw every trip.

Last thing was my ice scoop. Someone kicked it down but luckily I carry a magnet now so that was an easy catch.
Magnet, now THATS a genius idea. Will be going to buy a powerful one I can tie my line to!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Princess auto has magnets on sale right now that they say will lift up to 225lbs. Maybe a guy should have one of those to retrieve all these lost auger bits that we keep hearing about lol.
Heres hoping that I never have to do so though.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM

My buddy dropped a big cop style led flashlight with fresh batteries down the hole while fishing at pcr by the bridge. Landed light end up and stuck. It took 3 weeks for the thing to stop shining upwards. I'll bet a couple of you burbot fishers saw it.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM

Funny and great advise. You sound very persistent!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:24 PM

After removing hook from undersized Walleye, I threw my leatherman in the hole and kept hold on the Walleye. DOH! Yes, I was sober. Couldn't help but laugh.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

I tie a hard drive magnet to a piece of rope and drag it around while trolling, ya should see the prizes iv found no gerbers, but lots of raps and spoons..
Old 01-13-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind25 View Post
I had a Pike take my small ice rod, right off the holder.....down the hole it went. Drilled a few holes around the area, and dropped the camara to look around to see if i could find it. Spotted the rod on the lake bottom. Managed to snag the rod, with a big spoon. Brought the lost rod up, and still had the Pike hooked. Landed the pike.
My brother in law and I had the same thing happen 2 years ago on Devil's Lake. Fishing was hot and could not stop to eat lunch. The bite cool off so we jumped in the truck to eat and warm up and than we watched his rod go down the hole. He tells me it was an expensive reel so I drop my camera down and found it but the pike was very slowly dragging the rod around. So about 50 holes in a 20' radius later we were able to snag the rod and bring it up but the line snapped and broke, so no fish.

I will say it was the best adventure yet and we laughed our asses off.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM

I didn't lose it but my friend did. Lent him my Buck knife and he let it slide into the hole. Went back a few times to find it and never did.

On the plus side, I have retrieved a few chisels. Ran my own dragline for years and one of the things I did was cleaning out dugouts. Guys would go out on the ice and cut a water hole for cattle. Pulled two out of one dugout.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM

First time out this year at spray lakes I lost an iPhone 6plus down my hole. Currently sits 80ft under water

The bright side, turns out my credit card covers me for loss within 120 days of purchase. I lost the phone on day 118!! I'm still out the difference between buying a contract phone and buying it outright but it's better than nothing...

Won't keep my phone on the breast pocket anymore!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 AM

DST landing string.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:10 AM

About a 28lbs Pike at Newell 10 years ago...holding it by the tail waiting for my buddy to get the camera ready, one tail flip and she was gone!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Car jack down the hole

I have a Vexillar fish phone and I lost the plug that secures the cable in the arm. So I had to be resourceful, so my car jack was wider than the hole so I wrapped the camera cable around that. But one time I needed to adjust the camera direction I had wet hands and the cable came loose and the jack slipped out of my hands and went down the hole. Boy did I feel stupid. Had to pick up a new jack at the wreckers.

Thats my story.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Banned

My independance.
(just a joke... probably a bad one)
Come to think of it, I've lost quite a few nice fish.

Last edited by drhu22; 01-14-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=Willowtrail;2695727]I've lost a few things. First was a gerber hunting knife. Had it sitting on my lap and stood up and down she went.

Last thing was my ice scoop. Someone kicked it down but luckily I carry amagnet now so that was an easy catch.[/QUOTE

God bamb buddy's . Is that the same guy who almost dropped your monster
rainbow down the hole after doubting u caught a hog? I don't blame you for not ice fishing with him anymore 😁.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Still waiting for the first guy to say he lost his truck down a hole...

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 PM

I know one thing we all lost in a hole........our Virginity
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I know one thing we all lost in a hole........our Virginity
49 posts to get this response. I figured it would come a lot quicker.

BW
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Default wallet

I have been fortune enough not to have lost anything of any value down hole but many years ago we went out and drilled a few holes on what is now known as spring lake. As luck would have it I noticed a wallet on the bottom, I fished the wallet out and found $150 in it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:23 AM

Lost an ice chisel down the hole I just finished chopping. Other than that I haven't lost anything more than a fish down the hole.

...but I did have a muskrat come UP the hole one time. I was sitting under a bag half asleep from lack of fish.. Woke up real quick.

Years ago in Wizard lake I found a 75 hp mercury outboard motor in 15 feet of water while canoeing. I'm sure it's still in there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum AND for sharing all your stories! I loved reading them. I sympathize with all of you who weren't able to retrieve your items. Honestly though it makes me feel very grateful that I didn't drop the phone in an outhouse!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM

With a quick flick of the wrist..lost a nice cast iron frypan full of deer sausage and fried potatoes!! Son of a gun..only thing left was a can of Alphagetti
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmedtadpole View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum AND for sharing all your stories! I loved reading them. I sympathize with all of you who weren't able to retrieve your items. Honestly though it makes me feel very grateful that I didn't drop the phone in an outhouse!
At least that could have been fun...calling the next guy that sits down.

Welcome to the forum.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherkarin View Post
With a quick flick of the wrist..lost a nice cast iron frypan full of deer sausage and fried potatoes!! Son of a gun..only thing left was a can of Alphagetti
Man! I think I'm gonna cry now after reading this. How big a hole were you using?

BW
Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy27 View Post
I have been fortune enough not to have lost anything of any value down hole but many years ago we went out and drilled a few holes on what is now known as spring lake. As luck would have it I noticed a wallet on the bottom, I fished the wallet out and found $150 in it.
Dude u found my wallet!!!' Thanks Freddy. Where can I pick up my money.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 AM

i was getting ready to fry a ring of garlic sausage when it fell down the hole. Every time i looked to the bottom. my stomach would growl.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 AM

Was cleaning the filter in our septic tank at the cabin. Was using a 18v Dewalt cordless to take off the lid. Got the lid off and lost my grip on the drill and splash . Don't have a camera but would be too murky anyhow will have to wait another 5 years when the tank is sucked to see if it still works
Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 AM

Yesterday at Wabamun buddy had attached his rod and reel to a small folding chair to keep it "safe". We turned just in time to see the whole works go down the hole. If you catch a pike lounging on a chair at Wab let me know

Gord