Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM

Default Mid winter move yet? And daytime depths

So this is my 1st year on the hard water and I can't get enough. I've been going to CVR cause I know it really well.
I've been at my 'late fall' spots at around 10' to 15', yet trying near 30' and even some 5' & 8' but still haven't found any eyes till the magic hour before sunset.
I know they're moving in to this depth to feed, and I've been learning they tend to be around 30' while not feeding, yet close to where they'll feed. Not sure if this is true for Crawling valley or not.
I've also read that shallow lakes get slower during mid winter, and I'm starting to suspect this cause it's gotten slower for me than it was 3-4 weeks ago.
Everyone else I see are still fishing near shore structures, and there's not a lot of mid lake structure there so I'm expect io to see everyone crowded around those places when they move, but not sure. I'm thinking a lot of people are targeting pike and maybe Burbot this early.
Can anyone shed some light on my views?

When is mid winter or when do they tend to move?

What depths and structures do people find eyes during the day, like mid day?

Can winter non-feeding/active eyes be convinced to strike often? On my 4 trips I've only got eyes after 3:30, and only pike before that, but I don't get out there till 11am.

I read to find them deep during the afternoon and follow them in shallow for the dusk blitz. I was scouting big time today, but no dice for eyes till dusk. I'm using a flasher, and spending 10-30 mins fishing a hole before giving up.

TIA
Old 01-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Get on structure if you are setting up and staying. Run and gun if you want to follow the fish.

from 10:30 to about 2PM the fish are on a break ..... this is BBQ time .... not fishing time.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM

Thanks man, much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Get on structure if you are setting up and staying. Run and gun if you want to follow the fish.

from 10:30 to about 2PM the fish are on a break ..... this is BBQ time .... not fishing time.
my best walleye through the ice (7.25 lbs) came at the crack of noon. at mcgregor there is often a short mid day bite in the same spot i get the late afternoon/early evening action...
Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 AM

My best fishing is between 12:00-3:00 pretty much everywhere i go.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM

Default walleye info

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=afVhG5ycGrI

This is a good series of videos. Lots of good info.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM

My best walleye fishing is between sundown and midnight!!

Lots of times I don't even go out till 6 or 7 pm!

Use glow jigs. Usually stellar fishing after everyone goes home!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoilfan View Post
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=afVhG5ycGrI

This is a good series of videos. Lots of good info.
Thanks (fellow) edmoilfan, lots of good info indeed. I haven't gotten through them all yet, but I found this interesting on his Night Walleye fishing video, Part 4 at around 3:50 he says
"in the dead of winter, middle of February, we catch our biggest fish between 11am and 1pm, in 11-12 feet of water"
He admits this is contrary to "Walleye Logic" in part, but he accounts it to the warmer water.
http://youtu.be/mxKY1hi0rAM

which accredits clarki's 'best fish at noon' I suppose. I would have thought a nooner would have been the exception, a 'fluke' sort of.

I would think noonish activity would have lots to do with current and recent past conditions. Ideally I would assume they would rather hide in dark deep water at noon, but there are factors that can change that.