Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Drinking on a boat?

What are the rules for drinking on boat IF YOU ARE STAYING IN IT? IF the boat has a bedroom, has a bathroom, is anchored for the night can you drink alcholic beverages?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM

I would suggest ..... same as a motorhome on the highway?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
What are the rules for drinking on boat IF YOU ARE STAYING IN IT? IF the boat has a bedroom, has a bathroom, is anchored for the night can you drink alcholic beverages?
Yes. If it is anchored it then becomes a temporary residence and you may have some beverages.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Alcohol can only be "aboard" a vessel that has: permanent sleeping accommodations, and permanent cooking, and legal sanitary facilities; and alcohol can only be "consumed" on these vessels while the boat is at anchor, or is secured to the dock or land.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Sadly there has to be laws made to enforce common sense
Drinking and driving kills
Drinking and boating kills
If operating a boat isnt exciting enough for some people , they should stay home and re-wire their electrical panel while drinking.
I always laugh at comments...Well its only one beer to refresh me
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Banned

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...sitor-1610.htm

Alcohol and Boating

Driving Under the Influence

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are liable to the following fines:

1st offence : at least $600 fine
2nd offence : at least 14 days of imprisonment
3rd offence : at least 90 days of imprisonment
The maximum sentence may vary depending on provincial statutes.

Consumption of Alcohol

In most provinces:
Alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft only if it meets all of the following conditions:

The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities
The vessel has permanent cooking facilities
The vessel has a permanent toilet
The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock
Check with the appropriate provincial authorities (OPP for Ontario, SQ for Quebec, RCMP for all other provinces and territories) for carriage restrictions.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM

If I understand correctly, you are not allowed to pack a picnic lunch, throw a 6-pack in the cooler and boat accross the lake to a beach, then break out your picnic luch and a cold beer?

I don't argue that you should not consume alcohol while on-board, and that you should not operate your boat while under the influence. I'm just somewhat surporised that you can't transport closed liquor in your boat for consuption in a more appropriate location.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Alcohol can only be "aboard" a vessel that has: permanent sleeping accommodations, and permanent cooking, and legal sanitary facilities; and alcohol can only be "consumed" on these vessels while the boat is at anchor, or is secured to the dock or land.
Do you have a reference for this? Not trying to be argumentative just trying to get the record straight.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Interesting, I wonder what all the guys with summer homes up in the Gulf Islands (BC) coast do, there places are accessed by boats only and many bring there groceries and liquor over on small craft, are they breaking the law everytime they do a trip ? going to have to do some asking around....
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Sadly there has to be laws made to enforce common sense
There's a term that gets me every time I hear it. It "common sense".
It's just common sense! or Well it aint, Some would say tying you shoes is common sense or looking both ways before you cross the street but the thing is someone at one time or another showed you how to tie your shoes and or look both ways. So asking the question like he or she did was the right thing to do because they obviously don't have the savy to know otherwise. Thank god for the ABOF.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

I don't like drinking in a boat.I always seem to get a wicked headache when I do.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Common sense is not common.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to have unopened alcohol on your boat, the same as you are allowed unopened alcohol in your truck, but you have to meet the specific guidelines already mentioned in order to consume it on the boat. I can't find anything that states anything differently anyway.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
If I understand correctly, you are not allowed to pack a picnic lunch, throw a 6-pack in the cooler and boat accross the lake to a beach, then break out your picnic luch and a cold beer?

I don't argue that you should not consume alcohol while on-board, and that you should not operate your boat while under the influence. I'm just somewhat surporised that you can't transport closed liquor in your boat for consuption in a more appropriate location.
The law treats consumption and transportation differently. If memory serves correctly, you are only allowed to consume alcohol in a licensed premises or in your place of residence. You may transport "sealed" alcohol to a legal place of consumption. If you are camped (or moored as the above posts indicate) overnight, it is considered your temporary residence and it is okay to consume. A day use picnic spot is not your residence and technically consumption would not be legal.