Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Has anyone ever fished in Sheerness Lake by Hanna??

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever fished in Sheerness reservoir, the lake that cools the Sheerness coal power plant? I went there this weekend for some family camping and was told there were no fish in there. After doing some tubing I went for a cruise to look in the deeps for any signs of fish and was surprised to see the most fish I have ever marked in my life with a sonar. There were perfect arches just like they look in the sonar instruction manual and there were places where they were stacked like I see fish stacked in my dreams. Unfortunately I had all my fishing gear taken out of my boat before I went there. Checked the fishing regs and there is nothing on this lake in them. Also, out of the 100 or so boats I saw this weekend, no one was fishing? Can anyone comment on this lake and if there is actually fishing there????? Perhaps I was seeing things but from experience I am fairly sure I was marking fish and lots of them. The water at the plant end was 84 degrees but at the north end was 70 degrees. I assume down deep (30') that it is a bit colder as well. Definitely too warm to support trout but perhaps some pike, walleye, perch or other species like suckers. I may have just found the best sucker fishing lagoon around.....

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Default .

Growing up in Hanna I thought the same, however there used to be (have not been there in a while) signs that stated no fishing allowed.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

There must be fish in there if you seen perfect arches stacked up like cord wood. 100 boats out there and not one fishing should tell you something but go ahead and wet a line in there. You might be the first person to ever fish there.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM

I do not recall seeing any signs that state no fishing and would wonder why they would have a sign like that anyways. Next year for sure, i will go better prepared and try and figure out what they are. Thay appear to be rather large so there is a chance they are possibly pike or large white fish.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM

one more thing....we noticed a few fish rising right in the 84 degree water in the canal coming out of the plant...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM

pike, suckers, maybe some lake chubb.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that there isn't much for fish there. It's usually covered in boats with people trying to wake board and water ski.

If you're in that area go to Carolside, not much for a campground but I've always had good luck fishing. I believe that it's the other reservoir the power plant draws cool water from (warm water drains back into Sheerness). I'm pretty sure the two are connected by a small creek so that could be how fish got there.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Thats just the thing I was hoping to confirm. Everyone seems to asume there is no fish there but the sonar says otherwise. Thanks for everyones comments though. I was hoping to get a private hate mail saying SHHHH this is my secret walleye lake loaded with 10 lbers.....
Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM

Ok I can set you straight on this as I worked at that powerplant for 6 years. The fish you see are suckers and yes there are tons of them, some as big as 3-4 lbs. We pull them out of the intake screens all the time but they are all suckers. Once there was 1 walleye in the screen and I have never seen or even heard of a pike getting caught in the screens. The pike do get caught in the screens as I have seen this before at other plants. So this tells me there are no pike, maybe a couple walleye and 99.9% suckers. Carolside does not provide water to Sheerness but there is a blowdown canal that runs from the cooling pond to Carolside res and the water is released all summer to control conductivity and hardness in the pond, this is part of the environmental licence. The water in the cooling pond (and that is what it is) is all pumped from the Red Deer river down by Brooks. I wouldn't waste my time trying to fish in there unless you want some 1/2 poached suckers. lol Anything else you want to know?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I am going to look into it a bit more. Would be interesting to see what those arches are.

You would have to bring a bunch of different gear so that you could test a bit of each thing out until you find out what species the fish are. I am interested in checking that place out now.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Last I heard there was no fishing allowed there. I was told by an Enginneer that worked there that there is pike in there, not sure what else. Never ever tried it because of the no fishing signs, Check it out really good before you go. Post what you find maybe they opened it up.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrawn View Post
Last I heard there was no fishing allowed there. I was told by an Enginneer that worked there that there is pike in there, not sure what else. Never ever tried it because of the no fishing signs, Check it out really good before you go. Post what you find maybe they opened it up.
You can fish in there if you want, as I have never ever heard that you couldn't. I never fished in there once as the suckers disguest me. I always fished Carolside or the Blood.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw9 View Post
I'm pretty sure that there isn't much for fish there. It's usually covered in boats with people trying to wake board and water ski.

If you're in that area go to Carolside, not much for a campground but I've always had good luck fishing. I believe that it's the other reservoir the power plant draws cool water from (warm water drains back into Sheerness). I'm pretty sure the two are connected by a small creek so that could be how fish got there.
Carolside is awesome! My friend lives in around drum on the river and he fishes it all the time. Here is pic of him and his Dad with fish they caught from it.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 09-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Carolside is awesome! My friend lives in around drum on the river and he fishes it all the time. Here is pic of him and his Dad with fish they caught from it.
Wow is that a walleye? The pike doesn't even look legal is it 63cm? I never had luck with Walleye in there but appearently they are there. I don't remember trees around there? Sort of looks like a desert lol.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Thanks Muskie032 - your response is greatly appreciated. The arches appeared to be fairly large compared to what a walleye looks like and if they are suckers that makes alot of sense. Only thing that still has me wondering a bit is that many fish were suspended and I would think that a sucker would be cruising the bottom. That said, perhaps fish act diferently in this warm water and based on the huge numbers I saw. It still does not explain the fish rising at the mouth of the canal though. Think they were very small but i dont think a sucker would feed on floating insects that often.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie032 View Post
You can fish in there if you want, as I have never ever heard that you couldn't. I never fished in there once as the suckers disguest me. I always fished Carolside or the Blood.
I know when I used to head there when I was up to no good there were no fishing signs posted. So I would think they were put there for a reason. I used to fish Carolside in the late 90's. Last I was there the signs were still up. I would do some research before heading out. If fishing was aloud I am sure my dad would have took me there when I was younger. We only lived 1/2hour away from it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I know when I used to head there when I was up to no good there were no fishing signs posted. So I would think they were put there for a reason. I used to fish Carolside in the late 90's. Last I was there the signs were still up. I would do some research before heading out. If fishing was aloud I am sure my dad would have took me there when I was younger. We only lived 1/2hour away from it.
That could be as I wasn't over at the park area all that much so there could have been no fishing signs posted there as I was over at the plant cleaning screens and avoiding spiders. I would say there is a wide variety of non game fish in there beside suckers such as stickle backs and such. I think you would be wasting your time fishing there unless you like to eat suckers then your in paradise.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

I think they don't allow fishing because of saftey is what I was told. The Warden that I met at Carolside told us that all the fish that are in there(Carolside) come from the Red Deer river. Doesn't Sheerness flow into Carolside? Were does Sheerness get its water from? These are questions I don't know.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it interestes me why there is no fish in Sheerness when there should be. And I think it would be a great fishery if ever explored to be one, or stocked.

Carolside is great and I have nailed some wild Walleye's, and huge pike. I never did figure out were the Perch were at.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeDeitz View Post
Thanks Muskie032 - your response is greatly appreciated. The arches appeared to be fairly large compared to what a walleye looks like and if they are suckers that makes alot of sense. Only thing that still has me wondering a bit is that many fish were suspended and I would think that a sucker would be cruising the bottom. That said, perhaps fish act diferently in this warm water and based on the huge numbers I saw. It still does not explain the fish rising at the mouth of the canal though. Think they were very small but i dont think a sucker would feed on floating insects that often.

Thanks for your help though.
those pike in the rivers are lighting fast it takes only miliseconds for a blindman river pike to sprint 15 feet to my lure. ever notice alot of the pike come from the shoreline? awesome fishing!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I think they don't allow fishing because of saftey is what I was told. The Warden that I met at Carolside told us that all the fish that are in there(Carolside) come from the Red Deer river. Doesn't Sheerness flow into Carolside? Were does Sheerness get its water from? These are questions I don't know.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it interestes me why there is no fish in Sheerness when there should be. And I think it would be a great fishery if ever explored to be one, or stocked.

Carolside is great and I have nailed some wild Walleye's, and huge pike. I never did figure out were the Perch were at.

I believe if you read my earlier post I explain the water flows from and to Sheerness cooling pond. It sounds like you should tryfishing in there and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Wow is that a walleye? The pike doesn't even look legal is it 63cm? I never had luck with Walleye in there but appearently they are there. I don't remember trees around there? Sort of looks like a desert lol.
Both the fish in the pic are pike..

LC
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe if you read my earlier post I explain the water flows from and to Sheerness cooling pond. It sounds like you should tryfishing in there and let us know how it turns out.
Ok smart ass can you answer the second question? Were does Sheerness get it water from? I thought it was the Reddeer river. Some how water makes its way to Carolside from the Reddeer. I sure the warden told us it was from Sheerness and thats were the fish have entered Carolside, and if that's the case Sheerness will have the same fish as Carloside. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Gone Hunting

"Carolside is great and I have nailed some wild Walleye's, and huge pike."

Any pics of the walleye Overdrawn?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Banned

No pic but the only place I have been able to find Walleye is at the Y in the lake at the very tip of the point. Just drift'n and jigging. Haven't been there this year hoping to get there in October!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Any pics of the walleye Overdrawn?
I know that I have seen some nice walleye come out of carolside. They are few and far between, but they are in there. That being said, we haven't caught any this year.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Ok smart ass can you answer the second question? Were does Sheerness get it water from? I thought it was the Reddeer river. Some how water makes its way to Carolside from the Reddeer. I sure the warden told us it was from Sheerness and thats were the fish have entered Carolside, and if that's the case Sheerness will have the same fish as Carloside. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not trying to sound like a smart ass but I just don't like repeating myself. The water in Sheerness cooling pond comes from the Red deer river as Atco has pumps there to supply the water. There is a blowdown canel that runs from Sheerness cooling pond to Carolside also know as Berry Creek. Water is let down from Sheerness all summmer long and YES fish can make there way through the canal to Carolside. Berry creek as you know has a dam on one end so it get runoff from the creek this is where most of the water comes from. Does this make any sense to you yet?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not trying to sound like a smart ass but I just don't like repeating myself. The water in Sheerness cooling pond comes from the Red deer river as Atco has pumps there to supply the water. There is a blowdown canel that runs from Sheerness cooling pond to Carolside also know as Berry Creek. Water is let down from Sheerness all summmer long and YES fish can make there way through the canal to Carolside. Berry creek as you know has a dam on one end so it get runoff from the creek this is where most of the water comes from. Does this make any sense to you yet?
My point being the fish in Carolside have came from the Red Deer river. Or so F&W have said. So what fish Carolside has Sheerness has a pretty good chance of having the same!!!!! Smart Ass
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Overdrawn was so ****y, I really don't care where the fish came from and I'm not arguing the point, I'm just explaining the water coarse flow, CHILLAXE dude. I'd say your being the arse. nough
Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Thats fine, but don't come back and say I should fish it and find out if fishing aloud. I'm sorry that I read through the post to quick and missed some info. I think there's to much arguing on this sight and dam near makes a guy sick when you state your opinion or thought and bam it's an argument.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. No hard feelings here what so ever.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM

If you were going to fish in the cooling pond I would wait for less than stellar weather unless you want to get beat around by wakes from a bunch of wakeboard boats.