Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Boat, RV, ATV, outdoor equipment prices down 30-40%

I continue to be amazed and horrified at some of the prices people are asking for used equipment in Alberta.

People are asking almost the same price as new for 6, 8 and even 10 year old boats, trailers, atv's, etc.

In case everyone hasn't noticed the US is in recession. New Boat, RV, ATV prices are down 30 to 40% from 2 years ago and last year.

I can sympathize with the people bought in the last year or 2 and now see that they could get the item this year at a considerable discount so I can understand how they would wish to hold out for a higher price if they are trying to sell.

From what I have seen of the used market (which is considerable since I have spent the last 6 months shopping boats and trailers) prices are just way out of line with reality and what can be had brand spanking new for a couple of thousand bucks more.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Hints why Ill be buying my boat outta the states to heck with canada were geting screwed here .
Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Prices can only be high, if someone is willing to pay them. Welcome to Alberta.
Grizz
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 AM

My brother in law was thinking of buying a boat a few months ago and I was surprised to see new fiberglass boats listed cheaper than 1 or 2 year old boats. It seems to be worse with fiberglass, but I see lower prices on aluminum as well.

I really think it is a slow correction to bring Canadian prices in line with the states. There is bound to be a few years of consumers that will take a hit. Once the prices get to within a couple grand, you won't see the mass exodus for stateside purchasing. Although, I have noticed that used items don't hold their value as well in the states, so there may always be an advantage to going south just to access a different market.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Prices can only be high, if someone is willing to pay them. Welcome to Alberta.
Grizz
I think that Griz hit it right on the head. Fact of the matter is that Albertans have much more disposable income that most folks on this continent right now, and prices are not about 'value' so much as what someone is willing to pay. Lots of outdoorsy folks in this province working in the oilfield, with lots of extra cash. Makes for the perfect storm for prices on things like boats and ATVs. Sigh....
Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Like my Grandad used to always tell me -

"Things are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them."

Waxy
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPuffyPants View Post
I think that Griz hit it right on the head. Fact of the matter is that Albertans have much more disposable income that most folks on this continent right now, and prices are not about 'value' so much as what someone is willing to pay. Lots of outdoorsy folks in this province working in the oilfield, with lots of extra cash. Makes for the perfect storm for prices on things like boats and ATVs. Sigh....
Yes, I know the type. I work with a bunch of these guys. They don't care if they are getting value for their money-just want bragging rights over who paid the "most" for their truck, boat, cabin, etc. Weird logic, to say the least.

I guess I was just raised wrong or something. I have plenty of money - I'm just not about to waste it needlessly.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Wait until the S$%t hits the fan in Canada like it is in the states. Save your money boys because the RV trader is going to be as thick as the yellow pages when all the cash dries up and "the boys" can't afford all of thier toys anymore. It is just a matter of time, what goes up must come down. We are already seeing it in the housing market. Keep a stash to take advantage of the situation when it arises!!